Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 10:57 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
Met,

You are correct there are some beautiful places in California. I grew up in the redwoods of NW CA. I have traveled all over CA. The gold country is beautiful. SF is a great city to visit. The CA desert was one of my favorite places.

You can hardly do anything in the redwood forest anymore other than hike on a few trails and take photos. Most of the CA desert that we used to be able to ride motorcycles through is closed to everything but hiking. (Not too fun at 100+ degrees.

I could go on for hours about all the "NO, you can't do that" CA rules. That is the reason I would never live there again.

Northern CA was a great place to grow up. Not a great place to make a living now.

I still have family there and enjoy an occasional visit.

Alaska is not perfect. This is my 36th winter here, and they sometimes get a little long, but at this point in our lives I can not imagine living anywhere else.

After our boys are one their own........snowbird has a good ring to it........
I love the redwoods. I get your point about not being able to do anything there, but that is probably due to idjit infestations and I completely do not understand people from Marin County. I don't get them, and I believe that they are social nazis of the first order. There were a bunch of them who wanted to make it illegal to wear cologne in public.

I make my living these days as a writer, and I can live wherever I want. I paid my dues as an Alaskan years ago when I walked through the woods through minus temps after going into labor, and again when I laid down on top of my 3-year old to keep him from getting his brains beat in when we were stuck in rough seas, again when I looked out my window while having morning coffee to the sight of my golden retriever being attacked (and killed) by wolves on the beach, again when I waited inside the plant with my crew because there were bears outside....and so many other times.... anyway, sometimes this forum seems to be full of people who are trying to "out-Alaska" each other. LOL.

I can understand why some people would never want to live anywhere but Alaska, but by the same token, I think that those who feel that way shouldn't need to justify their choice by attempting to put others down, but that's become a laughably large part of this forum lately. What I find the most ridiculous is those who have no knowledge of the Pacific fishing industry who bleat ad nauseum about how it "should" be regulated.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 04-03-2013 at 11:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 01:47 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,860,367 times
Yup....I hear ya Met.....

Old 04-04-2013, 07:16 AM

10 posts, read 15,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Whoever wrote that article should be fired - poorly written. How can you defend yourself in CO? If you're that paranoid, go buy your damn gun. Guns haven't been outlawed in Colorado

There is so much in that article that is disgusting and the first thing you think of and comment on is that guns haven't been outlawed in colorado, and you insult the author.

the simple act of handing any gun to your wife with a magazine in it of over 15 rounds is now illegal and punishable. how is that common sense legislation?

obama guide us, obama teach us, in your light we thrive........

keep your koolaide to yourself.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:56 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedandstocked View Post
There is so much in that article that is disgusting and the first thing you think of and comment on is that guns haven't been outlawed in colorado, and you insult the author.

the simple act of handing any gun to your wife with a magazine in it of over 15 rounds is now illegal and punishable. how is that common sense legislation?

obama guide us, obama teach us, in your light we thrive........

keep your koolaide to yourself.
Sounds more than reasonable to me. I fully support Gov. Hickenlooper and President Obama on this. And when the gun nuts claim this is just the "next step" in taking away all guns, well, that just tells me that they're paranoid/misinformed/crazy.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:00 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times
Quote:
Sounds more than reasonable to me. I fully support Gov. Hickenlooper and President Obama on this.
Yep, Spring is near. The flies are starting to come out again.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Sounds more than reasonable to me. I fully support Gov. Hickenlooper and President Obama on this. And when the gun nuts claim this is just the "next step" in taking away all guns, well, that just tells me that they're paranoid/misinformed/crazy.

What i cant fathom is that you think im talking about gun control and cant even see that having an elected public official, someone whos duty it is to protect and serve the public go off on an rant and insult/mock an elderly gentlemen.

as for your insult to gun nuts, perhaps you should either learn a bit of history yourself, discover whats really going on, or perhaps just read the link below. Its a pretty slide show im sure you can keep up.

No One Wants to Ban or Confiscate Guns huh? These Quotes from Anti Gun Leaders Say Otherwise#

Old 04-05-2013, 11:23 AM

heres a whopper for you.

Missouri Democrats Introduce Legislation to Confiscate Firearms – Gives Gun Owners 90 Days to Turn in Weapons | The Gateway Pundit

btw, thanks for proving my points for me.

For those who didnt realize, Denverian is actually from LA. makes sense.

Last edited by lockedandstocked; 04-05-2013 at 11:33 AM..

Old 04-08-2013, 01:20 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,267,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I'm lucky enough to be able to live wherever I please. Although I don't live in California, some parts of that state are simply gorgeous. Gold country and over on the Northern California coast are just two; the Bay area was extremely good to my in-laws during their lifetime.

If some of you dislike the state of California so much, no one is forcing you to live there. I really don't get the vitriol you have against anyone who doesn't worship Alaska. If you're that sure of your own convictions, you wouldn't need to constantly attempt to belittle those who don't share them.

Before ya'll commence blaring the usual BS at me, you best keep in mind that I'm more familiar with the north country than some of you will ever be.
Terrific response, Met. Bravo!

Old 04-08-2013, 08:53 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,860,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
Met,

You are correct there are some beautiful places in California. I grew up in the redwoods of NW CA. I have traveled all over CA. The gold country is beautiful. SF is a great city to visit. The CA desert was one of my favorite places.

You can hardly do anything in the redwood forest anymore other than hike on a few trails and take photos. Most of the CA desert that we used to be able to ride motorcycles through is closed to everything but hiking. (Not too fun at 100+ degrees.

I could go on for hours about all the "NO, you can't do that" CA rules. That is the reason I would never live there again.

Northern CA was a great place to grow up. Not a great place to make a living now.

I still have family there and enjoy an occasional visit.

Alaska is not perfect. This is my 36th winter here, and they sometimes get a little long, but at this point in our lives I can not imagine living anywhere else.

After our boys are one their own........snowbird has a good ring to it........
Hey, what about my post.......

Old 04-08-2013, 09:09 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,267,751 times
Hog,

Good post. I love Death Valley and the Mojave. These are some of the planet's most precious jewels. I live in Silicon Valley - great place, but like all things in life, it is a trade-off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska