Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 02:46 PM

4,988 posts, read 9,962,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Caveats with UPS is that they are more expensive when you ship firearms and there is a TON of red tape involved. I checked them out and decided to just leave my gun at home.
Yes, most places recommend using FedEx. Apparently one of the biggest complaints often heard is all of the clueless employees at UPS shipping centers who don't even understand their own Company's rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 03:24 PM

5,762 posts, read 11,596,990 times
Aside from the other points made so far, remember that all firearms are not equal under border law. Shotguns with a capacity of five or fewer rounds are probably the most straightforward and least-hassled, then low-capacity hunting rifles. If you get into the realm of "restricted" firearms (which includes just about every handgun that isn't considered outright "prohibited"), you'd need to take the required safety courses in Canada and apply for your restricted-class possession and acquisition license, and even then, entry of firearms is entirely at the discretion of the guard.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:45 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,609,070 times
Ship firearms as air freight on Alaska Airlines. You must ship them from yourself, to yourself. No one else but you is allowed to pick them up on the receiving end. It's the most hassle free way to ship firearms.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:15 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,466,420 times
Stiff - can you ship ammo via Alaska Airlines?

Old 03-24-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Stiff - can you ship ammo via Alaska Airlines?
Yes, but it has to go as HazMat on air freight. The extra cost doesn't really pencil out. If you are flying though you can take up to 50 pounds of ammo in your checked bag.

Transporting Firearms - Alaska Airlines
Ammunition

On Alaska Airlines flights 001-999 and flights 2000-2999, up to 50 lbs.(domestic) and 11 lbs. (international - where permitted) may be checked. Customers checking in or connecting to Alaska Airlines flights 3450-3499 are limited to 11 lbs. of ammunition. Ammunition must be securely packed in the original manufacturer's package or in a container designed for ammunition and of sufficient strength to protect it from accidental crushing or discharge (i.e. wood, fiber, plastic, or metal). The projectile must be no larger than 11/16" in diameter, the size of a dime. Ammunition may be checked with or separately from the firearm. Spent ammunition shells will be accepted in checked baggage provided they meet the same acceptance procedures as live ammunition (e.g. packed in a crush-proof case)

Old 03-25-2013, 01:33 AM

7,487 posts, read 7,969,487 times
[quote=Moose Whisperer;28814681The firearm thing is a pain in the *** - it's usually easier to ship them ahead using other methods described. However you can transport up to 5000 rounds of ammo through Canada with little hassle, if that helps.
[/quote]

The last time I went thru Canada I had just under 2000 rounds of ammo. When clearing Canadian customs I was told I was only allowed 200 rounds. Since all but maybe 300 rounds were 22 long rifle I told them they could have it. The inspector decided to let me thru with all of it. It is hit or miss how much you can really take thru. I have no idea what the rules are if you are transporting ammo for someone else.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:41 AM

125 posts, read 258,829 times
It would probably be crazy expensive, but an option for avoiding Canada Customs would be to take everything on the Alaska Marine Highway Ferry. Don't know what the load limits are, I've seen some pretty big vans and RVs in the lineup. Can't remember if actual semis were ever there (probably not).

Old 03-25-2013, 12:25 PM

Canadian Customs website is clear as mud too. I see the 5,000 round limit and the 200 round limit... and I quote: (Emphasis Added). However, if you are moving to Alaska you may be able to get a waiver or as mentioned they may place a seal on them.. Not sure about this and I would call ahead of time.

Ammunition

You may import authorized sporting and competitive ammunition and reloading components for your personal use.

Quantities that may be imported for personal use and not for sale without requiring an Explosives Importation Permit from Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) include:
  • small-arms, sporting ammunition, up to a maximum of 5,000 rounds;
  • primers, up to a quantity of 5,000;
  • empty primed cartridge cases, up to a quantity of 5,000; and
  • propellants, smokeless powder in containers not exceeding 4000 grams and black powder in containers not exceeding 500 grams, up to a maximum total combined quantity of 8 kilograms, (17.66 pounds).
Consult with the Explosives Regulatory Division at NRCan to determine if the ammunition you wish to import is authorized and approved for importation and use in Canada. Note that tracer, armour-piercing and similar military cartridges are prohibited under Canadian law.
Within these limits, non-residents can import 200 rounds duty free for hunting purposes, or up to 1,500 rounds duty free for use at a recognized competition.
You can make arrangements to import larger quantities through a Canadian shooting association, committee or federation for team practice and competition at meets. For information on permits to import quantities of ammunition in excess of those mentioned above or for the purposes of sale, contact:

Old 03-25-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Consult with the Explosives Regulatory Division at NRCan to determine if the ammunition you wish to import is authorized and approved for importation and use in Canada. Note that tracer, armour-piercing and similar military cartridges are prohibited under Canadian law.

Within these limits, non-residents can import 200 rounds duty free for hunting purposes, or up to 1,500 rounds duty free for use at a recognized competition.
You can make arrangements to import larger quantities through a Canadian shooting association, committee or federation for team practice and competition at meets. For information on permits to import quantities of ammunition in excess of those mentioned above or for the purposes of sale, contact:
This is the key. You have to make sure to tell them, if asked, that you are taking the ammo, in transit, to Alaska and that it's not for use in Canada. It helps your case if you aren't transporting any firearms at the same time.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:44 PM

Stiff - yes and then you get to the 5,000 round limit... Still will take me 10 trips to get all my ammo across. (just kidding - although I may have over 5,000 rounds in all seriousness)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska