Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 10:04 PM

3 posts, read 4,612 times

Advertisements

I am moving from the southeastern US to Fairbanks for work in about a month. I might just be the most anal retentive and obsessive traveler that ever existed, and I've been doing research furiously for a few months now (I dream almost nightly about crossing the Canadian border.) I've got the Milepost, road maps, emergency and repair supplies, etc. I haven't found an answer to this question yet, though.

I'm driving my Honda Fit up the first week of May and today I took the car in for a tune up and trip check. It was suggested that I buy new front tires (I guess I haven't been as good about rotating/balancing as I thought). The tires are not bald or anything, I've had them a little less than two years (a 3 hour RT daily commute will do that) but they're definitely not new. Maybe about 40% tread left. Should I replace them now and risk getting an irreparable flat in a brand new tire on the Alcan? Or should I take the trip with the old tires (I will be carrying a brand new full size tire for backup) and replace them after I'm settled? They're not near worn enough to be dangerous in rainy conditions (never skidded/hydroplaned). The total drive for me will be around 4300 miles.

One more question, how common is it to camp off the side of the Alcan? I'm driving up with two friends and camping is definitely more practical for us (3 fully able drivers means we will probably only need to stop and sleep for 3-4 hours at a time when all our sleep schedules overlap.) I recognize that this may be a solidly idiotic question, and I will take whatever ridicule and harassment you deem appropriate to forgive me.

Thanks ahead of time for any tips and advice you might have, I'm really looking forward to the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 11:08 PM

406 posts, read 756,232 times
3 drivers! No reason to stop in Canada.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:10 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Replace the four tires with new ones, get rid of the emergency "donut" tire, and keep the best old tire as spare.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:04 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,127,072 times
What Ray said.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:05 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,127,072 times
KARO Alaska Highway campgrounds and RV parks

ExploreNorth.com - Your Gateway to the Circumpolar North

Old 04-06-2013, 08:14 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,519,308 times
I damaged the sidewall on relatively new tires on the Alcan and they are truck tires... Which are thicker and stronger than the ones on your fit. If you get new tires, buy road hazard with them and make sure you can get warranty service in AK. Hundreds of miles of chip seal and hundreds of miles of no pavement took their toll. Depending on how bad your tires are I would consider running them and buying new tires upon arrival to AK. Let your older tires take the beating. I saw plenty of small passenger cars running up and down the Alcan. If this was a winter drive, I would be planning on buying snow tires just before crossing into Canada.

I like to drive and can drive for hours on end straight. If I have someone else to spell me, we don't need to stop overnight, even though at times we do. With 3 you should be able to split the driving up enough to not have to stop for fatigue reasons, although if all three of you are tired, I don't recommend you push it. You might want one stop at a hotel for a real bed too! Try to time the fort Nelson to lake Watson route for day travel - as I am sure you already read why. (animals) In the summer it is easier to do as there is more daylight then night.

Enjoy the awesome drive!

Old 04-06-2013, 10:02 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
A friend and a buddy rode Harleys from Eastern Oklahoma to Homer, Alaska. Not sure where they changed tires, but, it had been prearranged that tires would be there.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:48 AM

863 posts, read 2,077,852 times
If the tires have a significant bit of tread to the wear bar, then I'd keep them on for the drive, though I'm more cheap and less paranoid than most..

Camping off the side of the road (without facilities or fees) is generally frowned upon, though I certainly do it. Don't think I've ever paid for a campsite in Alaska or northern Canada. You kinda need a vehicle with a little clearance to do this though, since you're looking for old gravel pits, fire breaks, etc, in order to get out of sight of the highway. You really shouldn't just set up a tent in the established rest areas.. There are established campgrounds all along the route, though they're not exactly frequent, so you'll want to plan out where to stay. The ones in the Northern Canadian Rockies are especially recommendable - Summit Lake, Muncho Lake, and Liard Hot Springs.

Also, coming up the eastern access route, driving the Icefields Parkway between Banff and Jasper is MANDATORY even though there's a national park fee. One of the most beautiful drives in the world.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:57 PM

3 posts, read 4,612 times
Thanks for the advice both ways. Hmm... still not sure what to do about the tires.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:16 PM

202 posts, read 356,065 times
Put new tires on the front. You can always stop off at Canadian tire and buy the other two later.

Even in May the mountains can suprise you with ice and snow. I personally would bite it and get new tires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska