Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 09:55 PM

5 posts, read 9,532 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a home around Haines. It seems most of the homes we have found on the listings are up the Haines Hwy. We do have a realtor but I wanted to get some thoughts about living off the highway. Is it very busy in the summer and in the winter is it maintained well?
How is the gardening? We would like to have a vegie garden and a greenhouse. Haines looks like a great town. About the same amount of people with lots to do.
We live outside of Custer, South Dakota and my husband works in Juneau 6 weeks on and 2 weeks off. It would be nice to live in the same state all the time!
Thanks!
Rebecca
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 10:07 PM

623 posts, read 951,286 times
Haines is where I will retire. It's an awesome place and the center of the outdoor universe.. I go up there several times a summer.

Small Town America is Alive and Well in Haines, Alaska | The Traveler

Just google Haines real estate. There are a couple that will pop up that has everything available in that town. Craigslist Southeast Alaska has a few listings too.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:03 PM

Thanks for the link. And as a matter of fact Haines Real Estate is the company I am working with!

Old 04-14-2013, 07:37 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,467,466 times
Out of curiosity, why are not looking at Juneau? I know that Haines is on the road system - although, far away from any of the major AK cities.

Just curious, I don't know enough about either city to make any of my own impressions either way.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:38 AM

623 posts, read 951,286 times
Haines housing, though limited is still less expensive than Juneau. I kind of suspect the husband may be working at one of the mines outside of town with that kind of rotation.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:30 PM

The main reason for not getting a place in Juneau is that we are from a small town of almost 900 people and Juneau has to many people in it. We live a very remote lifestyle and would like to keep it that way. Nearest house is over a mile away.
He works for a CAT company that has him at the mine for 2 weeks and the 2 weeks he is not there, he is on call to where ever they need him, then after 6 weeks he is off for 2.
He was called to Haines a few weeks ago and loved what he saw and how friendly everyone was.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:43 PM

Thanks, makes sense.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:21 PM

Besides, its beautiful there!
We have had almost no snow in the last 2 year and I haven't been able to take advantage of all the snow activities!
The forest fires have come to close to the house the last few years and every summer I have to have things packed that I want to save sitting by the door. My front closet has become my bug out room!

Old 04-16-2013, 06:44 PM

I don't disagree with the attraction of moving to AK at all...

Old 04-22-2013, 11:56 AM

287 posts, read 595,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by langenr View Post
The main reason for not getting a place in Juneau is that we are from a small town of almost 900 people and Juneau has to many people in it. We live a very remote lifestyle and would like to keep it that way. Nearest house is over a mile away.
He works for a CAT company that has him at the mine for 2 weeks and the 2 weeks he is not there, he is on call to where ever they need him, then after 6 weeks he is off for 2.
He was called to Haines a few weeks ago and loved what he saw and how friendly everyone was.
Hmmm... how much call is there for his type of work in that area? Or is major travel going to be involved just to maintain an income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska