Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2013, 12:46 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,574,571 times

Advertisements

Climbers descended into an estimated 200-foot-deep crevasse on an Alaska glacier to reach a 9-year-old boy, who is feared dead after crashing his snowmobile. Investigators believe the boy is under the machine in deep snow in the hole, Alaska State Troopers spokeswoman Megan Peters said.

Boy falls into hole in Alaska glacier, feared dead - CBS News

Nothing but sad.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 03:40 PM

2,519 posts, read 6,993,147 times
His body has been recovered. Sad deal

Old 04-15-2013, 05:30 PM

4,988 posts, read 9,958,582 times
Why were they snowmachining on a glacier?

Old 04-16-2013, 12:39 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,252,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Why were they snowmachining on a glacier?
People snowmachine and ski/snowboard on glaciers around here plenty often. If it's halfway decent, that's what we're going to do this weekend. It can be dangerous in certain circumstances (or if you're unlucky), but isn't uncommon. Got to be extra careful this time of year, since the warmer days lead to more melting and weakening of snow bridges. A guy fell through a snowbridge into a crevasse on the Nelchina Glacier almost exactly a year ago, but luckily wasn't seriously hurt.

Damn shame what happened to this kid. Not sure why the press has decided to link it to Arctic Man, though.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
People snowmachine and ski/snowboard on glaciers around here plenty often. If it's halfway decent, that's what we're going to do this weekend. It can be dangerous in certain circumstances (or if you're unlucky), but isn't uncommon. Got to be extra careful this time of year, since the warmer days lead to more melting and weakening of snow bridges. A guy fell through a snowbridge into a crevasse on the Nelchina Glacier almost exactly a year ago, but luckily wasn't seriously hurt.
Obviously this was one of those "circumstances" because the kid fell in and died. Just because other people do it is not a valid reason. And citing an article about yet another person who fell into a crevasse doesn't help the argument either - regardless of whether he survived or not.

So my question still stands. Why were they snowmachining on a glacier - or more importantly is it safe to snowmachine on a glacier?

Old 04-16-2013, 01:20 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,055,706 times
Quote:
Obviously this was one of those "circumstances" because the kid fell in and died. Just because other people do it is not a valid reason. And citing an article about yet another person who fell into a crevasse doesn't help the argument either - regardless of whether he survived or not.

So my question still stands. Why were they snowmachining on a glacier - or more importantly is it safe to snowmachine on a glacier?
The short answer is hell, no. It is a very inexcusably irresponsible and foolish thing for anyone to do. Let alone taking a child out on one.

Last edited by phlinak; 04-16-2013 at 01:35 PM..

Old 04-16-2013, 02:00 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,055,706 times
May God bless and keep the soul of this little boy and may his parents and loved ones find comfort and solace through this heartbreaking event.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
The short answer is hell, no. It is a very inexcusably irresponsible and foolish thing for anyone to do. Let alone taking a child out on one.
This is what I am coming to surmise. I'm by no means a snowmachine expert - one of the activities I haven't had a chance to take up since moving here (but would like to start). I have always wondered about this, and while I have certainly hiked on glaciers before that was done with an experienced guide while wearing a harness, crampons, and with ropes, anchors, and ice axes available. Common sense alone would seem to imply that one shouldn't go blazing out onto a glacier riding a machine with 5X one's body weight and no fall protection.

And just a quick search brings up even more:

Scientist on snowmachine survives 75-foot plunge into Alaska glacier crevasse | Alaska Dispatch
Alaska snowmachine death on Gulkana Glacier leaves experts sad, perplexed | Alaska Dispatch

The opinions expressed there also seem to indicate that snowmachining on a glacier is a really bad idea.

Quote:
One-time snowmachine safety advocate Rich Runser couldn't bring himself to read about the tragic death of a boy who rode into an open hole in the Gulkana Glacier about 200 miles northeast of Anchorage on Saturday and fell to his death.

The story hit too close to home.

"I could not face the article," said Runser, now 72. "It just made me sick."

Runser is a man paralyzed from the chest down. He has been that way since he rode his snowmachine into an open crevasse in the Nelchina Glacier in March 1997. He has preached safety for years afterward, including the warning that it is generally unsafe to ride on glaciers.

Last edited by Moose Whisperer; 04-16-2013 at 03:24 PM..

Old 04-17-2013, 02:15 AM

29,095 posts, read 25,886,809 times
Quote:

I suppose that one could argue that because people run the Boston Marathon "is not a valid reason" to do it.

The question stands - why run the Boston Marathon - when it could be targeted by terrorists?

Why fly in an airplane, which I understand many Alaskans have to do on a frequent basis?

Do bears and moose not wander parts of Anchorage?

Why live in Anchorage?

Old 04-17-2013, 11:34 AM

26,484 posts, read 36,326,066 times
God. What a bunch of crap.

After the temps start to reach above freezing, it's time to put the snow machine away if you live in a swampy part of Alaska and stay off of glaciers after a certain time of year, or at least make certain that your kids do so. If an idjit wants to die they can be my guest but children should be given the chance to make their own stupid mistakes when they grow up rather than being killed because their parents are morons. That is all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska