U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 02:02 PM

6 posts, read 5,997 times

Advertisements

anyone know where I can get a job as a seafood processor in bristol bay. I hear salmon season is coming up and you can make a lot of money there. I know it's really hard work but I don't mind. I have no experience but I have a ton of drive to motivate me in even the harshest situations. I also hear that dutch harbor is a good place to be too but I need to apply in person all the way in seattle I think. I live in pennsylvania so it would be a huge leap of faith. If anyone can give me any tips on how to land these seafood processing or boat jobs please let me know. I REALLY need your help guys, Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 04:17 PM

4,718 posts, read 8,969,444 times
Met... You got another one to educate.

(Met has a lot of experience in that arena, but be warned she tells it like it is. No sugar coating, spinning, or letting you off easy)

Old 04-16-2013, 04:21 PM

21,812 posts, read 27,872,506 times
It depends on what you think is a lot of money.

This forum isn't exactly brimming over with people who know anything about the seafood business, btw.

The season at Bristol seems to get shorter all the time. Go to SE instead. Try here:

E. C. Phillips and Son Inc. - Producers of quality seafood products

Or Google Trident and apply with them. They've got several plants, including one out in Naknek. I suppose an idjit could do worse than to go with that company.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:40 PM

Thanks for the lead guys. I'm not looking to make crazy amounts of money. I'm just looking for something to get money faster. right now work at rite aid pharmacy and I get paid minimum wage. I never get overtime because they always give me 40 hours a week, which is just below what is considered overtime. but It's not bad here. I just want to pay off my school debt so I can continue my travels across the world. I'm not really sure what the best way to get quick money is though. but I can go to any state and I'm willing to try anything so I figure I've got a lot of options. so If you know any other type of jobs, I'm all ears. By the way guys, you think I'd have a shot at getting a job on one of those fishing boats that go out to sea? I think they usually stick with the same crew for years but hey, you never know right?

Old 04-16-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miike View Post
By the way guys, you think I'd have a shot at getting a job on one of those fishing boats that go out to sea?
The short answer is no. The long answer is also no. There's always a chance, I guess, but ...no.

Look here:

Summer Jobs and Seasonal Jobs in Great Places | CoolWorks.com

Old 04-16-2013, 04:58 PM

4,718 posts, read 8,969,444 times
No get rich quick ideas from me. Since you are paying offs school debt, what degree did you get?

A career path is going to provide you with stable income, not odd, seasonal jobs. Definetly not in these days, e Europe I know that has done that type of work struggles as they get older. Those that pick a career and work at it tend to do better. Ask Met about just how well the small fish processors are doing these days.

Not saying you shouldn't do it, and seasonal jobs in AK at least will allow you to see AK and decide if it is right for you.

Btw, just look at the fatality rates of crab/fish boat deckhands to decide if you want that injury risk. The risk is higher for greenhorns too.

As with most career/job paths, the key is getting your foot in the door and proving yourself. That means working hard and showing up on time, all the time, sober, ready to go.

Also, if you really need AK and a job with little experience and certificates, try cool works.com. I would think working at a resort, driving people around or cleaning rooms for $10 or so an hour, with a free shared room and some food included would allow you to save up some $$$ to pay off your loans. Injury risk is lower, unless you are crazy enough to try to pet the grizzly bears in the park. At McKinley/Denali, our housekeeper at the resort also made our ice cream cones across the street, she worked two jobs. Figure she was making $800 per week before uncle Sam takes his cut.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:47 PM

lol thanks for the honesty guys. I went to school for dental assisting a few years ago. but I wasn't, nor am I even the least bit interested in that. At the time my family was pressuring me to go to college so I picked that at random. I graduated, looked for a job for months, but couldn't find a thing. I'm not sure what I want as a career yet but I've always been fascinated with travel. last year I went through south america a bit and came back a changed man. I worked as an extra in a soap opera and lived off that money in colombia, then I worked in a hostel in ecuador for the better part of a year. It was the greatest part of my life so far. If I keep travelling, I know I'll find something and somewhere eventually. I'm only 23 so I've got all the time in the world!

Old 04-16-2013, 05:53 PM

Yeah, people of your generation are going to live to be about 200 years old, so you've got plenty of time to settle down and all that boring ****.

If you want to make decent enough money to pay for your dental assisting school bills, consider getting a tipped position at a resort.

You seem like the type that might enjoy spending the summer working in Denali; look on Coolworks and on Craigslist for jobs. People around your age from all over the world work there. I wouldn't waste your time working fish because you're not going to have any flippin' fun if you spend all your time slopping around fish guts.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:18 AM

sounds like a good time to me. it's always good to meet other travellers because we're all like-minded. I'm definitely gonna check out coolworks and see what I can find. Thank you

Old 04-17-2013, 08:13 AM

2,518 posts, read 6,027,619 times
I can't believe that people looking for work haven't heard of North Dakota. Load up your car and drive there. Stay in your car until you find a job. Lots of them there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska