Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 09:42 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times

Advertisements

I would think they are still hiring. Can't find enough good people. I don't know what the starting wages would be. Why don't you contact them? 8745 Glacier Hwy Juneau, AK 99801. 907-789-1830
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 10:33 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,803,764 times
Walmart should still be hiring, the sign's still up. Plus the holiday season is coming.
One more thing about "cheap rent".....
find out who pays the utilities, you or the landlord. it's nothing for someone who find's a "bargain" rental at 700.00 a month to end up paying 400.00 a month to heat it during the winter.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:43 AM

2,628 posts, read 6,888,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebraska View Post
Is the walmart still hiring there? What do you think the wages are there to start out with?

I really don't think you want to work for wal-mart.

Nevertheless, I have a funny story that is semi-related, might crack you up.

I was roaming the streets one day in July this summer, on my way to the fudge co., when I see this tight knot of tourists. Naturally, being the curious little hockey puck that I am, I had to go check it out. I hear one tourist say to a guy with his back to me
"Yeah I love wal-mart. It's great to see that they have one here!" Annoyed, I walk closer and say
"No, wal-mart is evil! We hate it!" with some rather rude gestures thrown in.
The guy with his back to me turns around, and I realize he is in full wal-mart get-up, apparently he was out there trying to get people to apply for jobs (who exactly he expected to hire standing in front of the Fur Factory, I have no idea, but... ). Embarrassed, I mutter a sorry and slink away...

Old 10-31-2007, 01:33 PM

For what it's worth, Walmart isn't exactly taking the town by storm. Fred Myers has a loyal following here, and so does A & P. But the competition and more jobs has been good for the area.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:53 PM

And I think Fred's is a lot more buyer-friendly since they finished the expansion and store improvements. Of course, rumor was that the threat of Wal*Mart prompted them to do all that improvement.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:06 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,888,143 times
I've got a soft spot from A&P, but I agree- Freddies looks great after the improvements.
The truth is, no matter how much I hate it, I may have to shop at wal-marts. Money doesn't grow on trees, especially for young college students who quit their job so that they could run back home to Alaska with their tails tucked between their legs.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:11 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,247,217 times
I hate wal-marts! Though I have to say that some of their stuff is cheaper than most others. We mostly only get canned goods from them. Their meat is nasty sh**! i remember an A&P around us where I grew up. haven't seen one in years.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:46 PM

3 posts, read 10,680 times
Do you recommend leaving our furniture here and taking the necessitites and buying new stuff there. Or, do you think it would save money to just cargo our stuff down there. Our stuff isn't nice and we aren't attached to it by any means. Can you buy affordable furniture there or is there plenty of nice used furniture? Not sure what would save more money bringing our furniture or buying it when we get there.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:08 PM

I'm personally of the mind that just the necessities are great, but I'm a low maintenance person and don't mind living in something that is furnished or whatever. Household items are expensive, make no mistake about that. In places like Anchorage and even Fairbanks where they have a pretty good turnover of people because of higher population and the military bases, you can make out pretty well with garage and moving sales. I don't see this aspect as much in Juneau, plus, you always have that little aspect of being off the road system, so I think it would depend on how much or little of your personal stuff you can afford to bring. Not much in the way of thrift stores and such in Juneau--at least not what you're used to.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebraska View Post
Do you recommend leaving our furniture here and taking the necessitites and buying new stuff there.
outsiders are too addicted to their "stuff".
When I moved I ditched everything except the important things, the non-replaceable things.
It all fit in my car, I sold/gave away everything else, and have never regreted it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska