U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-31-2007, 07:35 PM
 
Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,790,534 times
Reputation: 8038

Advertisements

Besides moose, caribou, fish, and berries, I mean. What sort of foods would be foraged if supply lines were cut to the outside world (or less dramatically, if the cost of fuel increased so much that no one could afford to get outside food)?

Did native Alaskans eat much in the way of plant foods, or was it mostly meat and fish? I'm talking more about the southern half of the state rather than Eskimo turf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-31-2007, 07:39 PM
 
Location: Bethel, Alaska
21,358 posts, read 32,274,247 times
Reputation: 13691
Keep in mind that there are Eskimos in southern Alaska, too. Along with Aleuts, and Indians from south east. We eat anything that you would buy in the store, we aren't in the 1800s here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2007, 07:51 PM
 
Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,790,534 times
Reputation: 8038
Yes, but I'm wondering what you would eat if the world doesn't go along as smoothly as it always has during your lifetime, warptman ..... basically what sorts of native foods could foraged if you couldn't afford to go to Anchorage or have it delivered by plane.

I'm pretty sure fuel will become prohibitively expensive everywhere over the next ten years or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2007, 07:56 PM
 
Location: Bliss Township, Michigan
6,423 posts, read 11,067,656 times
Reputation: 6773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I'm pretty sure fuel will become prohibitively expensive everywhere over the next ten years or so.
Not really, We'll just be inline with most the rest of the world. When you look at it, we really do have cheap fuel in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2007, 08:00 PM
 
Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,790,534 times
Reputation: 8038
Sigh .... could ya just humor me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2007, 08:41 PM
 
Location: Bethel, Alaska
21,358 posts, read 32,274,247 times
Reputation: 13691
We're paying 4.50 a gallon now. There is no way we can stop buying gas no matter how high it gets. They can raise it as high as they want to, it still will be bought. We "gather" fish and moose and caribou just your so called "eskimos" from the north. We do the same thing down here in Southwest. I eat the same foods as you do, ribeyes, tbones, chicken, and pork. We don't rely only on subsistence foods. We are a diverse culture. Where do you "forage" for food at? Or are you one of the farmers who rely on the government loans?...crap, he got me started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2007, 08:49 PM
 
Location: Maine
7,728 posts, read 10,802,565 times
Reputation: 8310
Here,... we "forage" for Fiddleheads Fiddlehead ferns - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
We (not me personally) also hunt, and fish. I am in a small town and we do get some bad weather. We tend to stock up on many things before winter, and I can a lot of produce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2007, 09:01 PM
 
Location: Fairbanks Alaska
1,677 posts, read 5,747,567 times
Reputation: 662
When the price of oil gets that high, you all will be out of water and we will start selling that to you!

We enjoy that people from other states think Alaska is remote and isolated. Dependent on shipping and trucking. What they forget is we are also an aircraft state. Have our own oil wells and instate refining capacity. So if push comes to shove, we turn the pipeline to our refineries and supply our needs first. What is left over we sell to the highest bidder. Simple Economics. Aircraft from all parts of the world stop here for two reasons. We are in direct path for most air routes to the major cities and ports. We provide fuel at competative rates. Also just a bit of trivia, if the Shuttle ever had a higher lattitued orbit we are an alternate landing site for them. Most the major runways are designed for heavy transports. The odds of all three methods of freight delivery being down over a long period of time is negligable.

The traditional life style you mention is only a generation or two ago. Look around your community and ask if outside food sources were stopped tomorrow. How long would you last, and what skills and more important what seeds do you have stocked up for the next garden.

My point is everyone is in the same boat. We are just a bit more visible to others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2007, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
17,850 posts, read 19,567,231 times
Reputation: 6473
Why does this thread smell of another Chris McCandless wannabe?

There is a very good reason McCandless starved to death, besides not having the appropriate skills. There isn't much to forage most of the year, except for game, and in some areas even that is scarce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2007, 09:32 PM
 
Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,790,534 times
Reputation: 8038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw View Post
When the price of oil gets that high, you all will be out of water and we will start selling that to you!

We enjoy that people from other states think Alaska is remote and isolated. Dependent on shipping and trucking. What they forget is we are also an aircraft state. Have our own oil wells and instate refining capacity. So if push comes to shove, we turn the pipeline to our refineries and supply our needs first. What is left over we sell to the highest bidder. Simple Economics. Aircraft from all parts of the world stop here for two reasons. We are in direct path for most air routes to the major cities and ports. We provide fuel at competative rates. Also just a bit of trivia, if the Shuttle ever had a higher lattitued orbit we are an alternate landing site for them. Most the major runways are designed for heavy transports. The odds of all three methods of freight delivery being down over a long period of time is negligable.

The traditional life style you mention is only a generation or two ago. Look around your community and ask if outside food sources were stopped tomorrow. How long would you last, and what skills and more important what seeds do you have stocked up for the next garden.

My point is everyone is in the same boat. We are just a bit more visible to others.
Well I do look around my area and ask about what foods could be eaten if outside sources were stopped. Probably not so much different from Alaska other than I'd be eating acorn mush and not so many berries, and deer or jackrabbits rather than moose or caribou. I'm asking about Alaska because it's slightly possible I'd move there, and because I'm interested in such things as a hobby.

Now concerning the gas and heating oil, I thought Alaska shipped most of the crude elsewhere and then imported back the refined stuff ..... I didn't realize you had enough refining capacity to make your own gas and heating oil. In fact I distinctly remember reading that many remote villages couldn't afford to heat as much with oil anymore .... wasn't Chavez going to supply some to them for free as a sort of publicity stunt?

Also, I realize that Anchorage and Fairbanks are on major flyways, but I was asking more about remote villages. What happens if the world price of aviation fuel goes up .... presumably Alaskans won't get a special discount .... the price of food goes up because fuels are needed to farm .... and the cost of shipping even to Anchorage increases. Since most outside foods are flown in to the small villages away from Anchorage .... what happens if local paychecks simply aren't enough to cover more than occasional supplies for wealthier people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
.... There isn't much to forage most of the year, except for game, and in some areas even that is scarce.
There now, you've managed to give a relevant answer. Now let's see what others think, if anyone here knows about such things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top