Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 09:52 PM

117 posts, read 246,738 times

Advertisements

I'll try to look at the Alaskan law. It's possible that shooting pets is illegal, but that no one on the thread is quite clear about it, including myself.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Culling is legal.
Hopefully it doesn't need to happen on a large scale, though? And is it true the popular method is to drown or break necks?

Old 05-07-2013, 09:53 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,861,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soci3tycat View Post
Eep. I really prefer euthanasia or rehoming of the sled dogs (or any dog) :/
Shooting them in the head is basically euthanasia. Unpretty euthanasia, but euthanasia.

Rehoming is a worthy goal but with pet overpopulation it's not always realistic. The problem is overbreeding and irresponsible ownership.

Quote:
Hopefully it doesn't need to happen on a large scale, though? And is it true the popular method is to drown or break necks?
I don't know about "popular methods" or the extent to which it's practiced. It is practiced, though.

You could probably get in trouble for drowning dogs, since it's a prolonged death...if the cops found out about it and enforced existing laws, neither of which is what you'd call a certainty.

Last edited by Frostnip; 05-07-2013 at 10:02 PM..

Old 05-07-2013, 10:01 PM

I still feel shooting, while it may be quick, is more violent by virtue than euthanasia? Though neither are promising for an animal's longevity. I feel like euthanasia is ideal (or rehoming), but maybe mushers prefer other methods because euthanasia is expensive. Sad.

I understand the issues of rehoming aren't easy and often mixed with other problems, such as general overpopulation of dogs. It's definitely not an easy issue to address. I generally think reasonable regulation is good when it comes to overpopulation. If there is a cap on max litters bred per kennel, and per Cattery, and per mixed breed, I feel this would somewhat alleviate some of the problems. What do you think?

Old 05-07-2013, 10:04 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Quote:
I still feel shooting, while it may be quick, is more violent by virtue than euthanasia? Though neither are promising for an animal's longevity.

I understand the issues of rehoming aren't easy and often mixed with other problems, such as general overpopulation of dogs. It's definitely not an easy issue to address. I generally think reasonable regulation is good when it comes to overpopulation. If there is a cap on max litters bred per kennel, and per Cattery, and per mixed breed, I feel this would somewhat alleviate some of the problems. What do you think?
I think that it would be nonenforceable, but I'll let one of these "fine Alaskan residents" explain why.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I don't know. It's been a couple of years since I left Alaska for good, even though I'm still unfortunate enough to own some land etc. up there. One more time, when I made my post about how shooting pets is illegal, I mistakenly imposed the civilized laws of a decent society on a backwater dump.

I can see that yet another thread has gone to the trolls and the personal attacks because of the sorry little band of angry old fat white guys that infest this place.
Why did you decide to move? My friend's parents live there and are involved in oil. They seem to like it. They say its kind of like Seattle and good for children. Did you find otherwise?

I heard land in Alaska can be valuable? Are you going to sell?

Old 05-07-2013, 10:10 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
I have no stake in mushing, but do view it positively. Only because I have seen the dogs, and their mushers, for the last 22 winters and they have shaped my opinion of the race. The mushers live and work with their dogs, they understand each dog's personality, and how they will perform. The dogs, which are mostly a mixed-breed of Alaskan Huskies, are as excited as can be. They truly love pulling these sleds at breakneck speeds. It is more than just training, it is also their breeding. Alaskan Huskies are a very energetic breed. I know, I have lived with one for the last decade and she still prances like a puppy with boundless energy.

My Alaskan Husky's name is "Blizzard," and she has access to the backyard and my home anytime she wants it. However, where you will find her during the winter is outside laying on an exposed piece of ice or snow. Even when the temperature drops to -20°F, she still loves to be outside.

I have grown from being completely clueless about the Iditarod 23 years ago, to learning how well they treat the dogs and becoming a supporter today. The enthusiasm of the dogs and the mushers is infectious, you cannot help but root them all on. These are definitely NOT abused or mistreated dogs. They have regular check-points that are staffed by volunteers that feed and care for the dogs, including veterinarians that check on the condition of the dogs during the race. There are also check-points where the musher and their dogs are required to rest for a certain number of hours. If any dog were to die during the race, a necropsy is required to determine the cause.

I have not met anyone yet who has a "favorite" musher, most Alaskans wish them all well because it can be a dangerous race. There are usually 5 or 6 mushers who are the most experienced, and have the best odds of winning, and not all of them are from Alaska. Although, if I had to pick a favorite musher, it would have to be Susan Butcher. She single-handedly created the idiom, "Alaska: Where men are men, and women win the Iditarod."

Does this look like a dog abuser to you?

Last edited by Rance; 05-09-2013 at 01:12 AM..

Old 05-07-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
I still feel shooting, while it may be quick, is more violent by virtue than euthanasia? Though neither are promising for an animal's longevity. I feel like euthanasia is ideal (or rehoming), but maybe mushers prefer other methods because euthanasia is expensive. Sad.
Dead is dead, IMO. Doesn't really matter to the dog as long as it doesn't suffer on the way out.

I've seen botched chemical euthanasia that looked pretty damn miserable for the animal so I don't think there's much cause to consider it kinder to anyone other than the people watching.

Quote:
I think I'm glad I'm not responsible for making legislation or enforcing laws on those topics, as there are no easy answers. I myself have not purchased and will not purchase or breed a working or companion animal, so as not to support the continual pumping of animals into an oversaturated market. Plenty of animals available at shelters and through reputable rescues.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
These are definitely NOT abused or mistreated dogs. They have regular check-points that are staffed by volunteers that feed and care for the dogs, including veterinarians that check on the condition of the dogs during the race. There are also check-points where the musher and their dogs are required to rest for a certain number of hours. If any dog were to die during the race, a necropsy is required to determine the cause.
The Iditarod (and racing in general, as far as I can tell) is admirably well-regulated, and the organizers and mushers should be applauded for that.

The associated abuses aren't happening at those races, or to the dogs that go on to compete at that level.

To clarify, I have no problem with mushing in general or with races in particular. But the public events, much like with horseracing, do put a clean face on a sport that has a lot of associated problematic practices going on behind the scenes, and people should be aware of those realities as well, IMO.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:49 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Yeah, I think I've always tried to make it clear in my posts about mushing that it's the ugly underside such as the backwoods breeders and what can happen to the dogs who don't make the grade rather than the races themselves. Everyone knows that the main race dogs themselves are treated pretty well, everyone knows about the check points and the vets. Not everyone knows about other side, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska