Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 10:30 AM

1,753 posts, read 2,901,677 times

Advertisements

Melanie Gould had a mental breakdown. She wasn't in a hotel, she was in the wilderness off the Denali Highway. You can't control going crazy.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:07 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Ever hear the term "That dog can't hunt" I am thinking the same holds true for Dog's in Alaska, where the purpose of owning the animal is for a specific job. For those that understand that philosophy then yes if a dog won't run then it is of little value to someone running a team. I remember a hunting dog that was shot because of surviving a bear attack. He was not going to be any good to the hunting team and the thought was may as well put him down. Look I am a city boy and probably would have done something differant than putting the dog down. Then again a dog to me is a pet and not a tool for hunting or racing.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:50 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Ever hear the term "That dog can't hunt" I am thinking the same holds true for Dog's in Alaska, where the purpose of owning the animal is for a specific job. For those that understand that philosophy then yes if a dog won't run then it is of little value to someone running a team. I remember a hunting dog that was shot because of surviving a bear attack. He was not going to be any good to the hunting team and the thought was may as well put him down. Look I am a city boy and probably would have done something differant than putting the dog down. Then again a dog to me is a pet and not a tool for hunting or racing.
I think this is pretty much the truth; like I said before, society's attitudes are changing, and putting down dogs who couldn't earn their keep was a normal part of life during the agricultural age.

After Susan Butcher won the Iditarod, I remember hearing people talk as if it was unusual that she treated her dogs well. That seems to be more the norm these days. I have to remind myself that 1stimestar's experiences now are probably pretty different from what mine were 20-25 years ago. It wasn't that long ago, though, that I lived fairly close to the guys I mentioned earlier; maybe five years. I used to spend more time in the interior when I was younger but it's just too hard to live out there anymore.

As far as kennel requirements in Alaska, that's regulated by individual municipalities, and some of them don't even have ordinances concerning kennels. It might be that the city of Anchorage is going to ask residents with over 3 dogs to have a kennel license while you won't be required by Valdez to get one unless you have 6 or more canines. Away from city and borough limits, I think you can pretty much have all the dogs you want, although there might be some sort of overall state statute regulating that. I briefly looked for one, though, and couldn't find it.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 05-08-2013 at 07:15 PM..

Old 05-08-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post

There have been a lot of local whispers about Melanie Gould not really having walked into the wild at all, but to my knowledge, she's never talked about it. There are lots of people in my old town who believe that she was in a motel the entire time that everyone was looking for her.
Nah, the person who found her was setting up a base camp for searchers near Cantwell, and then went looking for her himself. According to Amanda Olson, her best friend who I was having conversations with at the time, it helped that Melanie knew the volunteer, who found her hungry and thirsty. After being given hot drinks and food, she was then taken to the hospital where I believe she was kept for 2 days.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:47 PM

117 posts, read 246,607 times
I originally had this in the "Dogs" section, then was referred to put it in the "Alaska." There's a few responses in that section, and they say that the lead dogs are usually males. Is this true?

In the discovery channel documentary, DeeDee JonRowe's lead dog is a female. Is this out of the norm?

Old 05-09-2013, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soci3tycat View Post
I originally had this in the "Dogs" section, then was referred to put it in the "Alaska." There's a few responses in that section, and they say that the lead dogs are usually males. Is this true?

In the discovery channel documentary, DeeDee JonRowe's lead dog is a female. Is this out of the norm?
No. That's why they told you to come here because people in general don't know squat about sled dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska