U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 08:28 PM

17 posts, read 57,462 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move to the Kenai, and I currently live in the Southeast of Alaska. Anyone know much about living on the Kenai? I'm hoping to learn more about life in Nikiski versus Sterling, as I am considering both. I currently reside in a small, remote community that is growing, but no where near the size of those on the Kenai (much smaller here). I like driving once a week to get groceries or do my shopping, but would love to be able to do it more frequently, especially in winter when getting out is almost deathly impossible due to the 1.5 hour commute on icy, tight one-lane, switchback forest service roads and other mountainous roads. That is why I am moving up there... to be closer to civilization, but with all the Alaskan charm of life. I want social outlets, but don't want them in my personal backyard, unless invited. Basically, I don't want to live in a big city, but I would like the conveniences to be within reach, especially on those long, cold, dark winter nights after work. Which community would be better and why? Any answers will help. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 10:47 PM

18,999 posts, read 24,521,189 times
So what part of SE are you trying to escape from? With that kind of drive, it can only be one place. I think you're on the right track. I actually used to love winters on the island but just can't do it anymore.

I think that both Homer and Seward would be great places to live; the others might be too small for me these days, but might work out well for you. Rance lives in Sterling and can give you plenty of information on that community.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 05-08-2013 at 11:01 PM..

Old 05-08-2013, 11:08 PM

That's funny because I think you gave me advice once before when I decided to move up here to beautiful POW. I love it here and will definitely return for visits, but I need more civilization and conveniences for me and my family for a while. I don't want to leave Alaska though. Thanks for your ideas. I also think Rance gave me some advice before, as he seems very helpful on here!

Old 05-08-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8living View Post
That's funny because I think you gave me advice once before when I decided to move up here to beautiful POW. I love it here and will definitely return for visits, but I need more civilization and conveniences for me and my family for a while. I don't want to leave Alaska though. Thanks for your ideas. I also think Rance gave me some advice before, as he seems very helpful on here!
You're the teacher, right?

I'd seriously look at Homer if I were you. You're going to want someplace that has a thriving winter community in its own right.

*edited* because you're probably asking about those two specific communities for a reason. I'd move to Sterling if I were you.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 05-08-2013 at 11:28 PM..

Old 05-08-2013, 11:25 PM

I thought about Homer, but I have only been to Seward on the peninsula. I wanted to be centrally located to have the best of all worlds: Kenai, Soldotna and other communities on the Kenai and Anchorage with its big city accommodations. Although, once there I'll get a better feel for where exactly I want to live. What's so great about Homer anyway? ALso, are you on POW?

Old 05-08-2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8living View Post
I thought about Homer, but I have only been to Seward on the peninsula. I wanted to be centrally located to have the best of all worlds: Kenai, Soldotna and other communities on the Kenai and Anchorage with its big city accommodations. Although, once there I'll get a better feel for where exactly I want to live. What's so great about Homer anyway? ALso, are you on POW?

Mileage-wise, Anchorage is close to some Kenai communities, but that highway is awful no matter what time of year.

I don't live on POW anymore; I left there for health reasons a couple of years ago. I was involved in the salmon industry then, but I'm lucky enough to be able to support myself as a writer and can live anywhere.

If you want to go to Anchorage often, though, Homer's probably too far south for that to be convenient. Girdwood is nice, but buying property there can be really expensive.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:43 PM

I looked up the news in the Kenai the other day and there were 5 fatality car wrecks and one bear mauling. I cringe to think of driving on icy roads, but at least those roads are maintained up North, unlike our forest service roads. Is it really that bad to commute to Anchorage from the Kenai year round? I just was thinking it would be nice to visit on the weekends once in a while and stock up at Costco, but I hear there's a Freddy's in Soldotna, so I should be okay. That's stepping up in the convenience world for me!

Old 05-09-2013, 01:33 AM

I'm not sure it's a drive I'd want to make on a regular basis, but going into town once a month or so for supplies probably wouldn't be too bad.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:28 AM

15,582 posts, read 33,172,081 times
I prefer Sterling over Nikiski. But thats just me.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:57 AM

Hey Rance, do you know of where else to look for rentals other than Craigslist for Sterling? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska