U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 09:33 AM

9 posts, read 23,452 times

Advertisements

So I contacted a rental company from up there and received a response that a 2 bedroom would be 2000/month with water, sewage and fuel-oil included. Is that the average price up there? I mean, I know I'm not from the area and I knew stuff would be more expensive but MY GOD that's steep! They also couldn't tell me the square footage of the property and I have no idea what it looks like. I guess I'd just like more information about what I'm paying for... and if it's actually worth it. I'm starting to think that I'm going to get rid of my dog, sell our cars, move what we can up there and be able to save almost no money... and then with the tiny bit we do save we'll have to use it (and probably credit cards) to move back to the lower 48. Sorry for the rant... I'm just experiencing extreme sticker shock lol. I guess my question is if there are any places that are cheaper? Obviously if I sign a 2 year contract I'd need a place for 2 years... and there's almost no way we'd want to move multiple times while up there so I'd be willing to sign a long term lease to find a nicer/cheaper place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 12:39 PM

2,577 posts, read 4,021,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irshgrl64 View Post
So I contacted a rental company from up there and received a response that a 2 bedroom would be 2000/month with water, sewage and fuel-oil included. Is that the average price up there? I mean, I know I'm not from the area and I knew stuff would be more expensive but MY GOD that's steep! They also couldn't tell me the square footage of the property and I have no idea what it looks like. I guess I'd just like more information about what I'm paying for... and if it's actually worth it. I'm starting to think that I'm going to get rid of my dog, sell our cars, move what we can up there and be able to save almost no money... and then with the tiny bit we do save we'll have to use it (and probably credit cards) to move back to the lower 48. Sorry for the rant... I'm just experiencing extreme sticker shock lol. I guess my question is if there are any places that are cheaper? Obviously if I sign a 2 year contract I'd need a place for 2 years... and there's almost no way we'd want to move multiple times while up there so I'd be willing to sign a long term lease to find a nicer/cheaper place.
Welcome to rural Alaska... Wait until you see the price for gallon of milk or a dozen eggs...
$2,000 a month with water, seward & fuel oil included sounds like a fairly good deal.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:40 PM

21,361 posts, read 32,617,131 times
You'd be lucky if you find a place that allows pets here. A few places pop up now and then that includes utilities. Rentals aren't cheep here.

Kreider Rentals Bethel Alaska 99559 housing + apartment nurse ykhc

The Delta Discovery Homepage

Old 05-31-2013, 12:44 PM

Your husband can get a airline job, they don't pay much, but they do have excellent flight benefits. Alaska Airlines hires all the time here. You can get into Anchorage (known as "Town" to locals) basically for free.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:41 AM

Thanks for the information everyone! I got my "official/unofficial" offer... I guess they don't write the official offer until I accept everything- so now it's real! The recruiter I dealt with yesterday was wonderful and explained that YKHC housing covers all utilities except electric, it's 3 bedroom and a garage, plus w/d for only $1700.00 which I thought was extremely reasonable... for there Can anyone tell me a rough estimate for electric? I was thinking about $150.00 a month- is that way off?

She also mentioned that we could bring one of our cars as long as we weatherize it. I wasn't originally planning on bringing them because we both have smaller, compact cars and from reviewing some of the pictures from your mud season neither car would likely make it (I have a Hyundai Elantra he has a Toyota Corolla). What are your opinions are the cars?

Final question! Warptman you suggested a position with Alaska Airlines and I've actually been meaning to ask this and forgot about it... my husband is actually a pilot/flight instructor. Well, he went to school for this but couldn't find a job in the lower 48 which is why he ended up military. I know that there are a lot of airline companies up there and we've looked into them but obviously they want you to have experience flying in Alaska conditions, which he doesn't have. Do any of you know if they have "apprentice" type programs where he could get the required Alaska flight hours so he could be a pilot up there? I know it's unlikely but I wasn't sure if they needed people badly enough to do something like that or not.

Thanks again everyone! You've been helpful

Old 06-01-2013, 12:12 PM

I'm not sure on the apprentice programs here, but there is a flight school here that rents Cessna 172 aircraft.

Yuut Yaqungviat | Flight School in Bethel, Alaska

Old 06-01-2013, 12:16 PM

Oh, on the cars. There's all types of them here. A few BMW's, a ton of Toyotas, Subarus, etc. They'll be fine.

On shipping them here, you have a couple options. There are no roads in or out of Bethel. So you'd have to fly or barge the cars here. There's also a bunch of used "Bethelized" cars/trucks/suv's for sale all the time.

Northland Services for barging.

Everts Air Cargo

Air Cargo Charter Service, Freight Charters, and Scheduled Service | Lynden Air Cargo

Old 06-01-2013, 08:01 PM

3,843 posts, read 3,726,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Oh, on the cars. There's all types of them here. A few BMW's, a ton of Toyotas, Subarus, etc. They'll be fine.

On shipping them here, you have a couple options. There are no roads in or out of Bethel. So you'd have to fly or barge the cars here. There's also a bunch of used "Bethelized" cars/trucks/suv's for sale all the time.

Northland Services for barging.

Everts Air Cargo

Air Cargo Charter Service, Freight Charters, and Scheduled Service | Lynden Air Cargo
"Bethelized"

We call them Barrow beaters here.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:24 PM

Photos: Delta living in Bethel springtime | Alaska Dispatch

Old 06-05-2013, 07:58 AM

Well... warptman I like your photos a little better-- that made Bethel look a little... depressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska