U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 10:10 AM

1,966 posts, read 1,753,227 times

Advertisements

Holy Mother Mary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 02:04 PM

5,115 posts, read 1,987,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmonta60 View Post
Stiffnecked,
Omg...Haha correct....animal cracker and YOO-HOO juice boxes lol. How’d ya know!?
I have a list I’m working through and he’s got his. That’s how we roll in this family. When we work as a team, the questions get asked and tasks get done. Funny how one might interpret that ignorantly if they don’t share that kind of family support network. Mama’s boy is still working full time at the moment. And you know, he supported me when I went through chemo, 2 knee replacements and multiple health problems. So I’m grateful to give him any kind of support to help process the information. I’m home. He isn’t. Isn’t that logical?
I truly baffles me how easily people do get this scenario in their head when it’s a mom helping her son. Perhaps I should just eat my bon bons and “do me”. But you see, if I WERE that kind of person, I wouldn’t have had a kid who takes magnificent risks.
Lol. Hopefully you will rethink your attitude. I am not a fan of limited, stereotypical perceptions accompanied by demeaning sarcasm. I also believe that young people who just pick up and go 5k miles into a whole new culture, to a hard lifestyle they already KNOW will be a shock in every imaginable way, but who do so to provide much needed care to these people who were here long before you and I are to be helped in that noble endeavor. These are ALL special people who sign on for a commitment TO OTHERS. And I’m honored to do the grunt work, the leg work and even some paperwork- if it helps him get there with some peace of mind.
THAT is a value that thrives in people like us and it saddens me that you see this and think such simple, 1 dimensional, stereotypical archetypes instead of what is authentically before you. And FYI, no one asked me to get on this forum asking questions. In our family you don’t have to.
Calm down Lmonta. For a "guidance counselor" you sure can flip the attitude switch over nothing pretty fast. Ranting about values, stereotypes, authenticity? Assuming no one is as sophisticated or accomplished as you are. Do you treat your clients in this supercilious manner?

I hope your son doesn't approach Bethel folks with lippy NY backtalk. He will be extremely lonely, rejected, and possibly worse if he does. No one is going to welcome any cheechako who sneers down their nose at them either. Your son should plan to entertain himself without the benefit of electronic gadgetry. If it ends up being possible great, but don't count on it.

Last edited by Parnassia; Today at 02:45 PM..

Old Today, 04:48 PM

4,088 posts, read 3,079,309 times
Lmonta60, do you understand that many of the people you're snarking at are either a)locals who know how things work, and are trying to give accurate info, even if it's not what you want to year and/or b)professional transplants who've already walked in your son's shoes? You act like you're sacrificing him to the moon god or something by sending him up here. A huge percent of Alaska's specialized workforce is recruited from out of state. Many of us have "been there, done that" already. It may feel extraordinary to you, but the braggadocio is misplaced among this audience and won't go over well in Bethel at all, either.

You'd probably also be getting higher quality responses if you asked questions once, in one thread, and organized your queries more coherently. Bumping a bunch of old threads with ramblings questions repeated multiple times isn't a highly effective approach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska