Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 10:40 AM

13 posts, read 26,387 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm finishing up my medical residency this year and we are looking at places to live and work. As a quick background, I grew up in rural Tennessee but have always enjoyed spending time out west (WY & MT) and in Alaska. After looking for several months, I am most interested in practicing in those places. I will be officially interviewing in Alaska this October and will be looking at the Mat-Su Valley, Soldotna, and Anchorage. I also interviewed in Casper, WY and really liked it there! We have 2 children (4 and 1) and enjoy spending time outdoors hiking, fishing, hunting, and camping. I'm also a private pilot and hope to do a good deal of flying wherever we end up. We are looking to build a home on some land (maybe rent initially) with a budget of 900k. Ideally, would love to have a small hobby farm but not essential. We would love to live somewhere where we can be on a trail within 15 minutes from leaving the house. Would also like to be in a close-knit community where neighbors know each other and help one another out. Having small children, being in a kid-friendly town is important too.

My thoughts on AK: Heaven on earth and my wife's favorite place! When my wife and I first visited several years ago we vowed to move there one day. I love the thought of living in nature, the opportunity of living a simple life, exploring with the kids, hosting family and friends when they come to visit. I'm not too worried about the weather (we are cold-living people) or the daylight factors.

My thoughts on WY: Perfect for me and right at home! I picture myself having a small ranch outside of town. The job opportunity is in Casper. Seems like a very family-friendly town with lots to do year-around. The schools are great. The hospital is the best in the state. I've heard the wind is no joke in the winter. There are "mountains" but nothing like those in Alaska. I've only been to Casper once and really liked it!

All-in-all, we are very excited about each of these opportunities! The hospitals that I am working with are all excellent and I know that I would be fulfilled from a professional standpoint. At this point, we are just trying to figure out which place would be best to raise our family and enjoying life to its fullest. I welcome and appreciate any and all advice as we hope to make a decision over the next couple of months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 11:30 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Mat-Su Valley in Alaska. It's the farm hub of Alaska and there are literally hundreds of airports in the area. And there is Mat-Su Regional Medical Center.

Old 09-12-2018, 12:35 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Casper.

Lots of people visit Alaska and vow to live there one day.

Old 09-12-2018, 01:17 PM

904 posts, read 665,504 times
My daughter and her husband visited Alaska 2 years ago and fell in love. So when she got a job they moved. They live in Eagle River but own land in Soldotna and our building a cabin. Next year they will move to Soldotna. She is a nurse so jobs are easy. Hubby stays home with the kids. The youngest is 3 and when he starts school then he will go back to work. So right now they are doing fine on 1 income.
We just spent 2 weeks visiting and had a blast. Met some great people and can't wait to go back.
Good luck on whatever you chose.

Old 09-12-2018, 01:45 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,189,020 times
Alaska can always use new doctors! With a plane you have unlimited areas to explore! Providence Hospital has branches in a few different locations.

Old 09-12-2018, 01:47 PM

717 posts, read 452,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgpilot12 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm finishing up my medical residency this year and we are looking at places to live and work. As a quick background, I grew up in rural Tennessee but have always enjoyed spending time out west (WY & MT) and in Alaska. After looking for several months, I am most interested in practicing in those places. I will be officially interviewing in Alaska this October and will be looking at the Mat-Su Valley, Soldotna, and Anchorage. I also interviewed in Casper, WY and really liked it there! We have 2 children (4 and 1) and enjoy spending time outdoors hiking, fishing, hunting, and camping. I'm also a private pilot and hope to do a good deal of flying wherever we end up. We are looking to build a home on some land (maybe rent initially) with a budget of 900k. Ideally, would love to have a small hobby farm but not essential. We would love to live somewhere where we can be on a trail within 15 minutes from leaving the house. Would also like to be in a close-knit community where neighbors know each other and help one another out. Having small children, being in a kid-friendly town is important too.

My thoughts on AK: Heaven on earth and my wife's favorite place! When my wife and I first visited several years ago we vowed to move there one day. I love the thought of living in nature, the opportunity of living a simple life, exploring with the kids, hosting family and friends when they come to visit. I'm not too worried about the weather (we are cold-living people) or the daylight factors.

My thoughts on WY: Perfect for me and right at home! I picture myself having a small ranch outside of town. The job opportunity is in Casper. Seems like a very family-friendly town with lots to do year-around. The schools are great. The hospital is the best in the state. I've heard the wind is no joke in the winter. There are "mountains" but nothing like those in Alaska. I've only been to Casper once and really liked it!

All-in-all, we are very excited about each of these opportunities! The hospitals that I am working with are all excellent and I know that I would be fulfilled from a professional standpoint. At this point, we are just trying to figure out which place would be best to raise our family and enjoying life to its fullest. I welcome and appreciate any and all advice as we hope to make a decision over the next couple of months.
I visited Alaska and it is a beautiful state with surreal summers and winter northern lights. Kenai pensinsula is breathtaking but above all is the people!!!!

Soldotna gets a 24/hour and a non-transient real community in harmony with nature feel. You will have this unspoiled natural sense of belonging. You can drive down to Homer sometimes that’s where Jewel was from. You also can do glacier hikes on weekends and be right on the water.

In summer I would love doing midnight drives up towards Anchorage and chasing the twilight sky for light coming off the northern sky. One other perk of living in Alaska is shipping and flying times to Asia and Hawaii are shorter because of the great circle projectory. Enjoy the Last Frontier!

Old 09-12-2018, 03:58 PM

10,557 posts, read 7,755,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
Alaska can always use new doctors! With a plane you have unlimited areas to explore! Providence Hospital has branches in a few different locations.
X2. As a relatively young, outdoorsy pilot Alaska would seem to me as the place to be.

Old 09-12-2018, 04:42 PM

532 posts, read 446,298 times
A physician and a pilot, you will do well up here!!
A rewarding job and a big playground.

Wyoming is just a small part of the lower 48

Old 09-12-2018, 08:16 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,103,563 times
cgpilot12 : I sent you a private message

Old 09-12-2018, 10:14 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Wyoming is Alaska in miniature, ridiculous sub-zero temps in winter, pleasant summers, out in the middle of nowhere. At least in Wyoming you're an hour's flight to civilization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska