U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 09:37 PM

9 posts, read 23,452 times

Advertisements

I've reviewed most, if not all, of the earlier relocation threads as well as doing my own internet research to try and get a good idea about relocating to Bethel, Alaska. I've received an "unofficial" offer from a company up there and there's a pretty good chance I'm going to take it once it becomes official but I still have some things I'd like a little more information about I was hoping some of the locals/people who used to live there could help me with.

Housing: I'd need a 2 bedroom and really other than that I just want all utilities included. Is that a realistic option there? Are there any websites that could show me the inside of any rentals?

YKHC HOUSING: Has anyone lived or been inside them? I know it's a 3 bedroom and honestly that's all I know other than the fact that there's a long waiting list. Does anyone know if any utilities are included? Square footage? Any pictures or description of them?

Childcare: I have an infant and if my husband begins working up there we'll need childcare. How easy/hard is it to find? How reliable is it? Does anyone know the average pricing? What can I expect as far as quality?

Elementary School: I also have a child that will be old enough to attend kindergarten here so I'd just like any opinions/thoughts on the school system and teachers.

Things to do: Obviously I understand that there's less traditional things to do there and really I'm not so much concerned with things to do for myself... what things are there to do with children? Do they have organized sports/activities for young children? If anyone wants to also add things to do for adults that'd be great but like I said- I'm more concerned about bored children than bored adults!

Winter Gear: Thankfully we'd be moving in the summer time so we'll have some time to prepare for winter and honestly I have no clue what we'll actually need vs. what companies try to sell you on needing. We have winter stuff because we've lived in the snow belt of Ohio but it never got in the temps. that seem common up there. What should I look into getting (coats, hats, gloves, snow suits, boots...?)- should it be rated for a certain temp? Would it be cheaper to buy the stuff in the lower 48 before we left and ship it or is it cheaper to buy winter stuff there since it's more commonly needed?

If anyone has any other input that'd be helpful I'd love to hear it! Like I said there's a pretty good chance we're gonna be heading up there in the next few months and I just wanna be as prepared as I can be for our family's next adventure- thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 01:27 AM

3,843 posts, read 3,726,347 times
In the very brief time I have before my sleeping meds take effect I'll answer one of your questions:

YKHC housing, unless they've opened more since I left, consists of a cluster of tiny little shacks with bedrooms the size of a walk in closet. They're a good distance from the hospital (assuming you're working there) and you're responsible for your own transportation. They made my ex and I all sorts of promises about the nice, beautiful housing we'd get with piped in water, washer and dryer, across the parking lot from the hospital and when we got there we were put in one of these shacks, and that's a kind word. The washer and dryer was in a filthy, locked trailer and you had to pay to use it (in quarters), the water was in a tank so we had to watch our weekly use, and the bedrooms each had a single bed in them. We asked and asked the entire time we were there for a bed big enough for two and nothing ever came of it.

The bathroom stunk of urine, the source of which I wasn't able to find until I lifted the rug and found the underneath still damp. Apparently the previous occupants had a dog which they locked in the bathroom whilst they went to work and it pissed on the rug every day. YKHC housing never bothered to clean the place before we got there. I threw the rug away and bleached the floor.

I honestly hope things have improved housing wise since I was there. I don't want to scare you off but you should know the truth before going there. My experience isn't unique, I've spoken to many travel nurses who have been there and they've all had the same promises made and broken. It's not just nurses who get those shacks, we had a PA neighbor and there was a doctor across from us.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:36 AM

230 posts, read 246,678 times
Not a place I would move a family. And as you saw in the last post...I was a travel nurse.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:19 PM

Well... Since it sounds like you both either worked there or knew someone who worked there (YKHC) how's the company to work for? Is it better than the housing?! It obviously concerns me that they made you promises but didn't keep them because I'm moving up there solely based on promises that were made... the specific promise I'm most concerned about that I probably couldn't get in my contract would be my supervision hours- for my profession I'm required to be supervised for so many hours by someone who is independently licensed... If I can't get that there then honestly I'll just be wasting 2 years of my life and I'll be exactly where I am now professionally which isn't what I want. Did you guys experience them promising you other things that they didn't follow through with?

Old 05-29-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rntim View Post
Not a place I would move a family. And as you saw in the last post...I was a travel nurse.
Would you tell me why you wouldn't move a family up there? Is it just because of the cost... or lack of stuff to do... the crime? I'm just curious because I obviously want a positive experience for my girls.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:51 PM

1,709 posts, read 1,493,784 times
I worked for YKHC for ten years and I enjoyed it. They have some of the best benefits. I am still affiliated with them as YKHC is half owner of the company I currently work for - LifeMed Alaska. (I wish we were still YKHC employees as do my co-workers.)

I work a rotating shift in Bethel and actually live in Anchorage so I can not comment about living here full time. I think I would like it as there is good hunting and fishing. I would have to have a boat and snowmachines. (I lived in Barrow for 18 years so some would claim my sanity is in question).

Several people I know here home school their kids and many send their kids to the local schools. It will depend on what kind of students your kids are. If self motivated, without learning challenges, and get along well with others they should do well.

One of the MDs has three daughters that went through much of their school here. Two are MDs and one is in med school.

For the most part Bethel will be what you make it. If you want to be miserable you will be.

Housing can be a challenge and it is expensive.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:56 PM

irishgrl,

What type of profession? There are a lot of PAs, and NPs that complete their requirements here.

About winter gear. If you end up moving here ask about it again.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:33 AM

"For the most part Bethel will be what you make it. If you want to be miserable you will be."-- That's kind of what I thought... I mean, it feels like that's everywhere... no where's perfect, I know this area has drawbacks that some might not be willing to deal with, but honestly we're looking at it as an adventure... and after the initial shock wore off I've actually felt excitement at the idea of moving there. My husband and I have always wanted to live in Alaska, at least for a few years, and if this is the place I'm honestly okay with it.

As for my oldest, who will attend school, she's extremely outgoing and energetic. We've lived in 3 states during her 4 years of life (multiple areas) and fortunately she enjoys it... she likes meeting new people and experiencing new things, as do we. Also you made me feel better with your comment about people who attend their schools succeeding- some of the rating systems made it sound like she'll learn nothing... or be behind compared to other places and obviously I wouldn't want that.

Oh... and I'm a social worker (master-level). I'm glad to hear they (YKHC) have good benefits- that was a big conern for us since my husband's seperating from the military and we haven't had to pay for medical for a little while... it's going to be a shock to the wallet when we start paying for it again! Thanks for the perspective btw!

Old 05-30-2013, 10:36 AM

I don't know that much about the structure of the YKHC Behavioral, (social), department other than you will be very busy. Brush up on your alcohol / drug abuse, and depression behaviors.

In my experience with Alaska village schools the younger grades are generally better than the older grades. Also I believe how well kids do in school depends a lot on the parents.

Your husband should be able to find work especially if he is willing to work at anything to start. Also, if he is interested, the police department is often hiring, many people use the department here as a start in law enforcement. The state prison is another good place to work, (good pay an bennies). Volunteering at the fire dept is a good way to integrate into the community.

Over all the people here are wonderful.

Don't know if your husband would be interested but the Alaska National Guard and the Air Guard are very active in Bethel.

You will have sticker shock when it comes to prices of everything. You will want to make occasional trips to Anchorage to buy staples, TP, paper towels, diapers, etc.

Check out the hogfamily blog link and it will give you a small idea of the layout of the Delta. If you have time check out the post of past stories there is stuff about the YK Delta there also.

hogfamily Adventures (aka the hog blog)

Yukon-Kuskokwim Health Corporation

Last edited by hogfamily; 05-30-2013 at 10:50 AM..

Old 05-30-2013, 10:43 AM

Wynternights experience with traveler's housing is true although many travelers have had a better housing experience. Long term housing is much better but harder to come by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska