Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 10:35 PM

26,486 posts, read 36,342,453 times

Advertisements

Yes, but most of us also help to support our own states rather than relying on the feds to do so. Personally, I'm tired of whiners like rrpearso who predict gloom and doom if the state's future involves its citizens paying income tax.

It's not an ideological thing with him the way it is with some of you...he's just cheap. At least you care about everyone's tax situation, Moose, but he's just interested in having the scratch to buy alcohol and prowl Match.com for women who have recently moved to Anchorage and haven't yet learned to flee at the sight of him. He's always bragging about being a "high earner," yet by his own admission, he can't even afford beer and pizza, and naturally, all he's got concerning anyone who disagrees with his garbage is that they must be on the dole. Pffft. Oh, and he's a racist little coward, too. Don't think that some of us have forgotten why he's been banned so many times from this site under who knows how many different names.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-04-2013 at 10:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 10:41 PM

2,668 posts, read 2,593,457 times
Just wanted to point out that residents of states with no state income tax can't deduct state income tax from their Federal tax returns, as residents of high state income tax states can. So the effective Federal income tax rate is higher on Alasksans than most other states (though the total tax rate, Federal + state, is probably lower).

Also, with the Federal government running ~$1 Trillion annual deficits, I suspect all states are collecting more than they're paying in (which will eventually lead to a bout of high inflation, when the economy finally recovers).

Happy thoughts

Old 06-04-2013, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
Just wanted to point out that residents of states with no state income tax can't deduct state income tax from their Federal tax returns, as residents of high state income tax states can. So the effective Federal income tax rate is higher on Alasksans than most other states (though the total tax rate, Federal + state, is probably lower).

Also, with the Federal government running ~$1 Trillion annual deficits, I suspect all states are collecting more than they're paying in (which will eventually lead to a bout of high inflation, when the economy finally recovers).

Happy thoughts
Can't do that where I live, but nice try. I'm not so sure it quite works that way in other places either. I think a few states allow deductions on state returns for fed. taxes, but not very many.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Alaska has always been "boom and bust", since when the Russians owned it to current.
Maybe it's time for that to end; just because things have always been a certain way doesn't mean that way is the best. The boom and bust cycles really haven't been all that good to Alaska.

Salmon vs. the Pebble project notwithstanding, does Alaska really need another mass invasion of Outsiders who are following the money to the Pebble Mine? Does Alaska really need more foreign companies plundering it? Until and unless those mineral rights belong primarily to the people of the state of Alaska, every one of you should be protesting the opening of that mine. Before you embrace the Pebble project as the next big boom that's going to bring huge dollars to the state, go read up on who actually owns a significant portion of Alaska's mineral rights.

Maybe a mass exodus would be the best thing that ever happened to the state; maybe it should be left to the people who truly love it. It certainly would be a first. Some places simply weren't meant to sustain large populations of humans; the north is one of them.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:22 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,205,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
WTF is this "rest of us" crap? I pay the same Federal Tax Rates as everyone else in the lower 48.

The reason all of us pay so much Federal Income tax is we've got a corrupt, thieving, inefficient, wasteful government. Oh yea, and did I say corrupt...
Yep and the last thing I need is more money out of my check to fund all the waste. Too many takers and not enough producers in this nation.

I am all for providing welfare for people that are genuinely down and out but 90% of the people in section 8 are straight up degenerates who are not even trying for a better life, living on govt money is a way of life for them.

When I had a condo I let a buddy stay in my extra room for free for the summer.

Living in Alaska without big bucks would be rough and boring.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:22 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,347,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Your analysis of the economic effects if the pipeline were to shut down is absolutely correct.

However the reason for low throughput is not because the pipeline is old, broken or corroded. There is no systemic corrosion in the TAPS mainline. Every few weeks a scraper pig is run down the line to remove buildups of wax and other foreign contaminants that could accelerate corrosion. Every couple of years or so a "smart pig" (a scraper pig outfitted with an array of sensors, computers, and transmitters) is run also down the pipe to perform an ultrasonic inspection of every inch of the mainline - from Prudhoe Bay to Valdez. Any corrosion detected is immediately repaired.

The pipeline today still runs at the same pressure it did when it was first opened (it's only the flow rate that has changed). The Maximum Allowable Operating Pressure (MAOP) rating of the pipe is unchanged. This rating is heavily scrutinized by State and Federal Regulators and would be instantly challenged should any corrosion be detected. The pipe remains in it's original condition due to the continuous maintenance performed by the operator.

The reason for low throughput is wellhead depletion. Right now the producers at Prudhoe Bay re-inject large quantities of Natural Gas and Seawater into the aging wells to keep pressure and flowrates up. However decline from old wells is inevitable.

The only real solution is to bring new wells on line. This however has been hampered due to extreme red tape, environmental restrictions, and the Draconian Tax structure of ACES. The recently passed SB21 is the latest, best attempt to correct this and encourage new production - but the usual anti-capitalist, political ignoramuses are now trying to undo this effort as well and put us all back in jeopardy.

The reason for Alaska's declining oil production and thus it's uncertain financial future, is purely a man-made political problem at this point in time. Not a technical one.
I could not agree more. Just opening the 1022 Area would extend the pipeline lifespan by another decade. However, that is a double-edged sword. The legislature will certainly not be interested in reducing spending if they are collecting even more oil royalties.

If the legislature was smart, and I can find no evidence of intelligence in the current legislature, they would set up their own separate trust fund where they put all the oil revenues. The legislative trust fund would allocate a specific amount, adjusted for inflation, that the legislature may spend every year. In the event of a State emergency, provisions could be made to allocate more, but otherwise the legislature knows exactly how much they have to spend every year.

In a few years the legislative trust fund would be large enough to be self-sustaining. In other words, the pipeline could fail completely and Alaska would still have money from the legislative trust fund. It could be invested, like the PFD, and continue to grow even without oil royalties.

One thing is absolutely certain, something has to be done about State spending, and future State revenues. Alaska cannot afford to be a "one trick pony," we need to diversify, or face the consequences when 90% of our State revenue suddenly stops.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:36 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,347,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Best thing to to would just divide up the PFD and dole it out to those that qualify, that just puts the money's in the people's hands instead of the politicians. Won't happen, but by doing that, they could cut major pork spending and nobody would complain with $50,000 in their bank account, until it is way too late to say anything.
Except that you are forgetting Crete. As we have seen, when government is in a panic they will rob personal bank accounts. It is better to stuff a sleeping-bag or a mattress with the money.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:48 AM

2,668 posts, read 2,593,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Can't do that where I live, but nice try. I'm not so sure it quite works that way in other places either. I think a few states allow deductions on state returns for fed. taxes, but not very many.
I don't know that any state lets you deduct Federal income tax payments from state income tax returns, but state and local taxes can be deducted from Federal income taxes.

Sales Tax Deduction Calculator

Old 06-05-2013, 08:10 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,481,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Except that you are forgetting Crete. As we have seen, when government is in a panic they will rob personal bank accounts. It is better to stuff a sleeping-bag or a mattress with the money.
I would assume since Crete only had the Banking industry for the Country's main income, they have cooked their own goose on that. Everyone will pull their money out ASAP and continue to bankrupt their country.

Alaska is doing the same thing by having all its eggs in one basket, instead of banking, it's oil.

They have let special interest shut down the gas line, hydro, mining, over fished and a host of other programs that would either add to the economy or make it cheaper to live here. Then overspending on pork to buy votes is a poison pill as well!

Old 06-05-2013, 08:21 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,481,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Maybe it's time for that to end; just because things have always been a certain way doesn't mean that way is the best. The boom and bust cycles really haven't been all that good to Alaska.

Salmon vs. the Pebble project notwithstanding, does Alaska really need another mass invasion of Outsiders who are following the money to the Pebble Mine? Does Alaska really need more foreign companies plundering it? Until and unless those mineral rights belong primarily to the people of the state of Alaska, every one of you should be protesting the opening of that mine. Before you embrace the Pebble project as the next big boom that's going to bring huge dollars to the state, go read up on who actually owns a significant portion of Alaska's mineral rights.

Maybe a mass exodus would be the best thing that ever happened to the state; maybe it should be left to the people who truly love it. It certainly would be a first. Some places simply weren't meant to sustain large populations of humans; the north is one of them.
Once the oil quits, Anchorage is the big support center for the oil, it will basically implode. In 1985 when ARCO laid off only a few hundred of its workers, the state went into a pretty bad decline, whole subdivisions were repo'd, banks folded, companies went bankrupt left and right.

I doubt Pebble would be a boom, but it would add money to the economy for years in jobs and spin off jobs in the support industry.

As for a mass exodus, that doesn't bother me nearly as much as the scorched earth policy left over. The politicians will suck out the life of what's left to try to save their butts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska