Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 06:09 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,246,280 times

Advertisements

Nice Moose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 06:25 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,347,049 times
Love the pics! Thanks.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:20 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,021,418 times
A couple more from Tuesday:

Old 06-14-2013, 12:35 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,385,398 times
wonderful pics - Thanks!

Old 06-16-2013, 08:10 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,021,418 times
WARNING – this story does not have a happy ending

So a couple nights ago we went to bed as usual with Momma Moose and Baby hanging out in the back yard. At 2:36 am we were awakened by an awful screaming noise. Running to our bedroom window we were just able to catch a glimpse of Baby Moose being dragged off into the Alders by a Bear! After a couple more minutes of screaming and thrashing around, everything went quiet again. Needless to say Momma was frantic, running all over the neighborhood looking for her baby, but to no avail. Baby Moose is no more.

Later that morning when I took the dog out for her usual morning business, I was wearing my 44. Obviously I wasn’t interested in an encounter with a Bear and it’s fresh kill. We even alerted the folks at ADF&G – they came out to search the property – not so much to chase off the Bear or Moose, but mainly to remove the Carcass as it would become an unwanted attractant for even more Bears in a residential area. But they didn’t find anything. They explained that often times with a small baby, the Bear is able to eat the whole thing in one sitting, leaving only the legs and hooves that they normally shove up under a log or pile of branches.

Momma Moose has been hanging around looking for her baby the last few days, but of course she doesn’t understand it is futile. For the first night she would rush out of the brush at the slightest noise or rustle. She’s even “charged” me a couple of times – well not really charged aggressively, but more just to see what is going on. When she sees it’s not her baby, she stops instantly, we look at each other for a few seconds, then we each turn and go in different directions.

So, it looks like 2013 will be another memorable Moose year – but not how we were expecting. It just serves a reminder of no matter how powerful we think we are, we are still just spectators to mother nature – even here in Alaska’s biggest city!

Last edited by Moose Whisperer; 06-16-2013 at 08:54 PM..

Old 06-16-2013, 10:18 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,271,037 times
Sorry the little guy didn't make it.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:30 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,519,308 times
Man... I am now depressed. That is so sad.

I can only imagine how mama Moose must feel.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:23 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
The pictures were beautiful. So sorry about what happened to the baby.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:43 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Very nice photos, Mr. Moose.

Does you wife know that there is a lady in the backyard with a baby moose? Hopefully she will believe you when you tell her the baby is not Mr. Moose's!

Just kidding with you. Great photos, and lucky you for having the opportunity to snap such wonderful pictures.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:44 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
WARNING – this story does not have a happy ending

So a couple nights ago we went to bed as usual with Momma Moose and Baby hanging out in the back yard. At 2:36 am we were awakened by an awful screaming noise. Running to our bedroom window we were just able to catch a glimpse of Baby Moose being dragged off into the Alders by a Bear! After a couple more minutes of screaming and thrashing around, everything went quiet again. Needless to say Momma was frantic, running all over the neighborhood looking for her baby, but to no avail. Baby Moose is no more.

Later that morning when I took the dog out for her usual morning business, I was wearing my 44. Obviously I wasn’t interested in an encounter with a Bear and it’s fresh kill. We even alerted the folks at ADF&G – they came out to search the property – not so much to chase off the Bear or Moose, but mainly to remove the Carcass as it would become an unwanted attractant for even more Bears in a residential area. But they didn’t find anything. They explained that often times with a small baby, the Bear is able to eat the whole thing in one sitting, leaving only the legs and hooves that they normally shove up under a log or pile of branches.

Momma Moose has been hanging around looking for her baby the last few days, but of course she doesn’t understand it is futile. For the first night she would rush out of the brush at the slightest noise or rustle. She’s even “charged” me a couple of times – well not really charged aggressively, but more just to see what is going on. When she sees it’s not her baby, she stops instantly, we look at each other for a few seconds, then we each turn and go in different directions.

So, it looks like 2013 will be another memorable Moose year – but not how we were expecting. It just serves a reminder of no matter how powerful we think we are, we are still just spectators to mother nature – even here in Alaska’s biggest city!
Oops! Should have read this one before posting.

Sorry about the little calf, but as we both know, bears do bear things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska