Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 07:44 AM

978 posts, read 2,053,708 times

Advertisements

Sell as much stuff as you can. The more stuff you have, the more it costs to move. If you have mediocre furniture (like I had before I moved), it's often better to sell it on Craigslist, then buy new stuff after your move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 09:49 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,923,666 times
Not that I've been but on an alaska out door forum,they discussed thi a lot .
Using movers you still loose half your furniture and othe things due to the roads ,some have used shipping containers , with good results , every event is different.
Check with canada for taking guns through you may have to ship those to an FFL if you have any.
I envy you , I want to go some day as well.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:27 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,614,728 times
You might look into the ferry from Bellingham to Haines, and then drive from Haines up. It'll make the ferry ride cheaper and the drive from Haines isn't bad. Where in Alaska are you moving to?
And whether you drive the whole thing or just from Haines, I highly recommend the Milepost. The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner . In my opinion, it's the best guide to the drive.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:47 AM

8 posts, read 32,337 times
I live south of Okc...what route do you take? How long does it take? I have a small SUV so the ferry cost would be 1247 for it and I would want a cabin with facilities. Just off the top of my head I think I could save almost $1000 by driving? Have you driven in Sept or Oct?

Miami would be further than Okc so maybe I'm thinking driving will cost more than it actually will???

Old 06-17-2013, 11:18 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,518,260 times
Previous post should have said spend too much more than that on my round trip. CD won't let me edit it now.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:14 PM

Well I knew what you meant!

Old 06-17-2013, 01:26 PM

Dakster - I knew what you meant. Was trying to edit my post but not working.

Arleigh - I've been working on this for 6 years now.

AKStafford - Talkeetna.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:58 PM

stiffnecked - I should have directed this to you...I'm still getting the hang of this forum stuff. Since you made the same drive I will be making, any info will be much appreciated!

I live south of Okc...what route do you take? How long does it take? I have a small SUV so the ferry cost would be 1247 for it and I would want a cabin with facilities. Just off the top of my head I think I could save almost $1000 by driving? Have you driven in Sept or Oct?

Old 06-18-2013, 06:25 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,129,801 times
When my friend and I moved to Anchorage from Minneapolis, we just took what we could fit into my jeep wrangler and bought everything else there. Though we did ship a box or two via Post Office before we left. We made it in 4 days traveling Alcan and drove between 700-900 miles a day. Places you'd go through as we did, we stayed in Grand Prairie, Alberta, then Whitehorse, Yukon and then Anchorage. We did get into Whitehorse at around 2 am and it's the only stretch I didn't drive during the trip. Road is very easy to drive, only two short areas you might call mountain passes and they aren't anything compared to two lane Colorado or Montana ones.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,849 times
Default MN to AK too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
When my friend and I moved to Anchorage from Minneapolis, we just took what we could fit into my jeep wrangler and bought everything else there. Though we did ship a box or two via Post Office before we left. We made it in 4 days traveling Alcan and drove between 700-900 miles a day. Places you'd go through as we did, we stayed in Grand Prairie, Alberta, then Whitehorse, Yukon and then Anchorage. We did get into Whitehorse at around 2 am and it's the only stretch I didn't drive during the trip. Road is very easy to drive, only two short areas you might call mountain passes and they aren't anything compared to two lane Colorado or Montana ones.
Hi Wamer27! I am currently planning a move from Minneapolis to Anchorage! I am making the move with my cat and I am trying to decide if driving straight to Anchorage is best or to Seattle, then the ferry would be easier and less scary/stressful for my cat. I also don't want to tear up my car on the way up the Alcan. I have a fairly new/nice ford escape. I am already posting on Craigslist to get rid of my stuff. What are the biggest differences there from MN? Any advice is appreciated!! Thanks!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska