Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2013, 10:35 PM

127 posts, read 209,457 times

Advertisements

SO I leave on Thursday for Alaska where i'll be working on a salon tender boat for 75 days and need to know how the where there is out there in the south east Alaska at the docks and at sea this time of year. What should I where under my rain gear out there during this season? Should I bring many long sleeve shirts, long johns, sweatpants? I'm not sure so i thought I'd ask. Any info helps me out. thx ahead of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 10:21 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,543,192 times
Polypropylene.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:19 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,519,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
Polypropylene.
I was going to say a box of depends...

Old 06-19-2013, 01:58 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,032,996 times
Go to the local second hand store and stock up on fleece shirts and pants. Don't pay any attention to how they look because you are likely going to throw them all away when you are done. Fleece means the poly stuff. Get mostly lightweight stuff cause you can layer and unlayer as the weather changes. Get some cotton t shirts just for relaxing days but they are not good for wet and cold. Get a couple of baseball type caps with a bill. Cut your hair if it's long unless you enjoy fish slime in long hair. Get some big rubber bands or cut some inner tubes that can fit around your ankles to hold your rain pants against your extra tuffs. Don't know what kind of rain gear you have but make sure it's heavy duty. Helly Hansen, Grundens both make good stuff.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:18 PM

305 posts, read 683,094 times
Your mates will appreciate if you bring several changes of underwear and a toothbrush. A longjohn top you don't mind tossing or cutting the sleeves off; maybe 3-4 of those. If you pick up up halibut occasionally, you'll come to understand why soon enough. Bandana under your cap keeps the slime off, soaks up sweat, or just keeps long hair from blowing around. I started off annoyed at your many questions, but I'm wondering if maybe you really, truly don't have a clue and there's no one in the know you can talk to. Make sure your boots fit; Xtra Tufs are the standard. A couple pair of socks on the days when your feet sweat; might do well to wear some cotton to wick the sweat. You will do that. A little talcum powder goes a long way. It helps the nasty gloves go on, cuts the rank from wherever it may emanate, and you'll feel oh-so-fresh when things start to rub and chafe and you can't clean it off. Short- and long-sleeve Tees are uniform, a long-sleeve fleece for under your bibs, or a half fleece that is rubberized on the front and half sleeves will keep you going when things get wet and messy. They wash well, and help you fit in when roaming the docks and blocks of town. Helly Hansen is good, Grundens is good - just be sure whatever you buy has good fabric that doesn't rip easily when you catch on something. Don't go cheap when it comes to rain gear unless you plan to have leaks and don't mind restocking throughout the season. Don't forget your crew license, inserted into a little ziploc to keep it from turning to mush. Cotton liners for inside your rubber gloves, which develop a keen sense of rot in a short time. Not having to slide your bare hand into a slimy cuff is a little extra blessing. Sweats are more than a fashion statement. They're sleeping wear, accepted in bars and restaurants, and shake out after a long week at the foot of a bunk. I always have a pocket knife for hangups. Sunscreen, a little vaseline or triple antibiotic ointment (Neosporin or generic) for what gets chapped or cut, aspirin when things are stiff and sore or the last boat turned out not to be. Vitamins, if you believe in them. A couple pair of sunglasses; guaranteed at least one pair will go over the side. Maybe your boat supplies wristers, maybe they don't, but they save the sleeves and keep the slime inside to a minumum. Bring your own stash of favorite snacks - gum, hard candies, whatever you want to hoard or not share. Anything on the galley table is fair game and if your favorite is somebody else's, a bag in the bunk will keep the cheer and pep you up when those few winks turn to a blink or two. Layers. Cotton is good base to wick the sweat. Poly is good for warmth and to let things breathe. Good boots that fit well (again, Xtra-Tufs) and allow you to move nimbly are worth the money. Marty's right about the rubber bands to keep things tight. A bonus would be to find an old mercantile with an older stash of XtraTufs made in USA; the newer ones are not made so well.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:40 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,615,380 times
Maybe a couple of books if you like reading. And iPod or other music device. I'm guessing most of the time you will not be able to cell service, so don't count on that.
If you smoke or chew, you might want to bring that with you. Or plan on quitting.
Be prepared for some of the best days of your life and some of the worst days of your life.
And as mentioned, sunglasses and sunscreen. All the usual toiletries. A camera.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:49 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,127,072 times
He said Salon...bring some shampoo?

Old 06-19-2013, 07:05 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,567,607 times
Well good luck on your adventure! Hope it is all you are hoping for!

Old 06-19-2013, 07:13 PM

127 posts, read 209,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
Go to the local second hand store and stock up on fleece shirts and pants. Don't pay any attention to how they look because you are likely going to throw them all away when you are done. Fleece means the poly stuff. Get mostly lightweight stuff cause you can layer and unlayer as the weather changes. Get some cotton t shirts just for relaxing days but they are not good for wet and cold. Get a couple of baseball type caps with a bill. Cut your hair if it's long unless you enjoy fish slime in long hair. Get some big rubber bands or cut some inner tubes that can fit around your ankles to hold your rain pants against your extra tuffs. Don't know what kind of rain gear you have but make sure it's heavy duty. Helly Hansen, Grundens both make good stuff.
OK cool thx, i'm leaving at 5am tomorrow and i'm finishing packing after finishing off my last day of work at my job. So i bought all my gear 6 months ago and i did get extra tuffs and i did get a set of grundens rain gear in fancy road cone orange. The for the idea of using inner tubes, i just changed my motorcycle tires and tubes and i still have the old tube somewhere. i'll do that now. THX!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidelines View Post
Your mates will appreciate if you bring several changes of underwear and a toothbrush. A longjohn top you don't mind tossing or cutting the sleeves off; maybe 3-4 of those. If you pick up up halibut occasionally, you'll come to understand why soon enough. Bandana under your cap keeps the slime off, soaks up sweat, or just keeps long hair from blowing around. I started off annoyed at your many questions, but I'm wondering if maybe you really, truly don't have a clue and there's no one in the know you can talk to. Make sure your boots fit; Xtra Tufs are the standard. A couple pair of socks on the days when your feet sweat; might do well to wear some cotton to wick the sweat. You will do that. A little talcum powder goes a long way. It helps the nasty gloves go on, cuts the rank from wherever it may emanate, and you'll feel oh-so-fresh when things start to rub and chafe and you can't clean it off. Short- and long-sleeve Tees are uniform, a long-sleeve fleece for under your bibs, or a half fleece that is rubberized on the front and half sleeves will keep you going when things get wet and messy. They wash well, and help you fit in when roaming the docks and blocks of town. Helly Hansen is good, Grundens is good - just be sure whatever you buy has good fabric that doesn't rip easily when you catch on something. Don't go cheap when it comes to rain gear unless you plan to have leaks and don't mind restocking throughout the season. Don't forget your crew license, inserted into a little ziploc to keep it from turning to mush. Cotton liners for inside your rubber gloves, which develop a keen sense of rot in a short time. Not having to slide your bare hand into a slimy cuff is a little extra blessing. Sweats are more than a fashion statement. They're sleeping wear, accepted in bars and restaurants, and shake out after a long week at the foot of a bunk. I always have a pocket knife for hangups. Sunscreen, a little vaseline or triple antibiotic ointment (Neosporin or generic) for what gets chapped or cut, aspirin when things are stiff and sore or the last boat turned out not to be. Vitamins, if you believe in them. A couple pair of sunglasses; guaranteed at least one pair will go over the side. Maybe your boat supplies wristers, maybe they don't, but they save the sleeves and keep the slime inside to a minumum. Bring your own stash of favorite snacks - gum, hard candies, whatever you want to hoard or not share. Anything on the galley table is fair game and if your favorite is somebody else's, a bag in the bunk will keep the cheer and pep you up when those few winks turn to a blink or two. Layers. Cotton is good base to wick the sweat. Poly is good for warmth and to let things breathe. Good boots that fit well (again, Xtra-Tufs) and allow you to move nimbly are worth the money. Marty's right about the rubber bands to keep things tight. A bonus would be to find an old mercantile with an older stash of XtraTufs made in USA; the newer ones are not made so well.
HAHA I just got home from picking up some extra camo matching boxers from the store. And i did pack 2 bandanas, i do tree work so i know how that is. and to answer you, i knew kinda generally what to bring but i like to be over prepared. so i wanted to get some more info and some better rough numbers of what to bring. I'm packing everything into my military sea bag and day pack so i gotta make it all fit. I bought my tuffs a while ago. and i got some real good flecee pants so that good and i did pack some talcum powder. i have a store near me i call the spanish wal mart and they have those blue Kleen Guard gloves for $2.50 a pop so i bought 5 pairs. i havde some grundens wristers too w the neo bands on the cuffs. thx for all the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
Maybe a couple of books if you like reading. And iPod or other music device. I'm guessing most of the time you will not be able to cell service, so don't count on that.
If you smoke or chew, you might want to bring that with you. Or plan on quitting.
Be prepared for some of the best days of your life and some of the worst days of your life.
And as mentioned, sunglasses and sunscreen. All the usual toiletries. A camera.
I brought my lap top and nintendo DS so i can play some games in my spare time. i dont know how to download music i never learned :\ i should get on that lol. i do smoke but i've been cutting way back and i wanna quite so sucks for those guys. i did bring sun block and bug spray thats 99% deet lol it works awesome. thx for the help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska