U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-13-2009, 01:51 AM

3,774 posts, read 7,046,874 times
:"So nat'ralists observe,
a flea Hath smaller fleas that on him prey,
And these have smaller fleas that bite 'em,
And so proceed ad infinitum."

Jonathon Swift
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-13-2009, 08:44 PM

11,588 posts, read 6,359,766 times
Seems that there are a few spiders in Alaska. Not many, though.

I'm scared to death of spiders. That's the only reason I went looking for information.

Spider Bites in Alaska

Unread 07-13-2009, 08:47 PM

14,030 posts, read 11,976,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Wolf have lice and other assorted "critters" on them. That is why a lot of trappers and hunters will allow them to freeze and freeze/kill the vermin before they cape them out.

Not to mention they just plain smell bad....
I've heard it's worst with lynx...

Unread 07-13-2009, 08:51 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,501,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Whales have lice? I thought they had barnacles!
Those are actually tiney crustaceans, but still parasites...

Unread 07-13-2009, 08:53 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,501,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
:"So nat'ralists observe,
a flea Hath smaller fleas that on him prey,
And these have smaller fleas that bite 'em,
And so proceed ad infinitum."

Jonathon Swift
This is a great quote mal, sorry I can't rep you just right now.

Unread 07-14-2009, 08:46 AM

6,248 posts, read 7,033,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPF View Post
Those are actually tiney crustaceans, but still parasites...

Best example I have heard of "Parasites" is of Politicians...

An animal that lives off the host... In our case, the Taxpayer!!!

Sorry, that one just jumped out there!

Unread 07-14-2009, 12:38 PM

2,192 posts, read 2,397,585 times
Here in Kodiak where it usually doesnt get cold enough to kill spiders I have seen some huge ones. We definitely have hobo spiders here and other brown spiders that get very big (I lived in NC before, I know big spiders). Although its nothing like NC, where we had brown spiders that got the size of tarantulas and would come out of nowhere down the sides of walls at night time like a horror movie.

Unread 07-14-2009, 01:50 PM

16,233 posts, read 9,596,552 times
When I said there were no "poisonous spiders" in Alaska, I should clarify: There are no indigenous poisonous spiders in Alaska. The hobo and brown recluse spiders were introduced to Alaska from outside, and are not native to the state. The same thing is also true with snakes, cockroaches, fleas, and tics. You will only find them in Alaska if you bring them with you from outside the state.

Unread 09-05-2009, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,761 times
We do have poisonous spiders up here, we have certain species of black widow. BROWN recluse which are poisonous, there was a rash of bites in fairbanks that almost killed the fire chief. We have banjo spiders, which are poisonous. Also, we have HOBO spiders, that are poisonous. Instead of asking people in a forum, dosome research. Learn how to protect your home, and yourselves. I have a young child and I live 30 minutes from Anchorage, I have seen all 4 of these spiders in my home, in our wood pile, etc.

Unread 09-07-2009, 08:50 AM

153 posts, read 256,470 times
No one's going to ask, "Are there any indigenous species of nastiness that I need to worry about?" They're just going to ask in general terms.

As for there being no ticks- I watched a squirrel bounce around my deck the other day that had a big ol'tick on its neck. I got a real good look too, just to make sure, by putting out a little bit of bird seed right up next to the window because my husband said, "Wait- I thought Alaska didn't have ticks?"

As for spiders... oh man do I have a BEAUTY of a marbled orb-weaver in the most inconvinient spot next to my little toolshed. I need to find a good spot for her and then move her. The house I moved into must be a spider heaven, because there are webs EVERYWHERE in here.. I have to wonder how often the previous tenants (an Army family that supposedly cleaned before we moved in) actually cleaned, because the dust and webs in here are just nuts.

I've been doing a lot of reading lately (and talking to my entomologist buddy) about the highly reactant venomous spiders, and from that, all the usual N.American faves are here and do survive the winters somehow- Black widow, Brown recluse, Hobo- and from what I've been reading, spider traps are the 2nd best thing to do to get rid of them, with pesticides only during their spawning time. The BEST thing to do to get rid of spiders.. get something that eats them or eats their food.

Hey Rance- you probably saw a wolf spider, even if you didn't see a web- they try NOT to bite people, and damn they're good to have around. Another good but freaky-scary spider to have around are the giant house spiders (that's what Hobo spiders kinda look like, only Hobo's get to be about the size of a quarter). Giant house spiders are those big mamas that you can HEAR jump and run across things and land, but I bet you don't have bug problems. I'd LOVE to get a couple of those in here- they'll shoo away the baddies.

Now.. here's my disclaimer.

I fear spiders so bad. I get the shakes something awful if I have to put my hand anywhere that I can't see well.

But I'd love orb-weavers and the hunter spiders just because I know that they'll shoo off the really nasty things.

Google doesn't seem to know that a "banjo spider" is, except some really bad music.

http://www.hobospiders.org

and

http://www.canadianarachnology.org/data/canada_spiders/specieslistbox.asp?miny=59.17592824927136&maxy=67. 5421666883853&minx=-159.78515625&maxx=-141.85546875

Are the two sites that I started with, and they sent me off doing deeper research.

Shan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska