U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 09:03 PM

2,668 posts, read 3,551,060 times

Advertisements

well i dont follow why if you havent even been to alaska,why you would choose a city with less then 400 people in it,that is about one hundred miles to a city of any size,when you have no place lined up to live,and no job prospects in the area.i dont imagine there is much in the way of employment there,how do you intend to eat and pay for your 39 acres?there are plenty of small towns where you might have a chance at employment or are close enough to commute from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 09:21 PM

58 posts, read 265,535 times
ok smart@!!, my husband was raised country and likes hard real work. hes helped his gpa, his other one was a roughneck for yrs. thanks for the stereotyping....

Old 11-11-2007, 09:22 PM

16,166 posts, read 27,421,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
Ray, I think you made a typo. No biggie. But I think Anderson is on the Tenana, not the Yukon.
Thanks for pointing it out.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:24 PM

16,166 posts, read 27,421,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
well i dont follow why if you havent even been to alaska,why you would choose a city with less then 400 people in it,that is about one hundred miles to a city of any size,when you have no place lined up to live,and no job prospects in the area.i dont imagine there is much in the way of employment there,how do you intend to eat and pay for your 39 acres?there are plenty of small towns where you might have a chance at employment or are close enough to commute from.
Clear is nearby, but I have no idea if the military has any job openings there.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:25 PM

3,774 posts, read 9,895,229 times
No problemo Hoss. I know you know better, and you were probably thinking about something else while typing. Done it myself a hundred (thousand) times.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:55 PM

15,596 posts, read 34,548,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by User 2 View Post
Since I've done some roughnecking, I'm dying to know what roughnecking for Home Depot is like.
If you read the very first post the OP is asking for info on roughnecking. Please keep your posts "on-topic" or offer some other usefull information, or I may have to ask you to go get the key to the "V" door.

Last edited by Rance; 11-12-2007 at 01:14 AM..

Old 11-12-2007, 02:13 AM

1,252 posts, read 725,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
If you read the very first post the OP is asking for info on roughnecking. Please keep your posts "on-topic" or offer some other usefull information, or I may have to ask you to go get the key to the "V" door.
That's exactly why I asked about roughnecking for Home Depot.

Roughneck jobs are few and far between now and they won't be likely available to someone with no past experience, it's an unlikely expectation that just calling around will land one a job in that field. The days of boom, where labor was literally picked up off the street is over.

Most of the work is done through a very small pool of contractors, and they are overladen with experienced hands who are constantly being brought on for short periods and then laid off again until they are needed again.

I thought it strange that no one else on this forum even attempted to convey any of this information.

It seems there's one contingent of people on this forum who encourage people to do whatever they might have a hankering for without bothering to note there might be some drawbacks to, say moving out into the bush unprepared and unaware.

You'll note, that lately there are some other people starting to question the wannabe homesteaders about whether their 'dream' might match their capabilities and their expectations.

Yes, I believe people should pursue their dreams, but they ought to do that with realistic and pertinent information at hand.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:59 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,961,780 times
Default raining on parades, etc.

Yeah, seems to be a bit of resentment towards those who habitually rain on the pardades, no matter how justified it is.

Truth of the matter is that jobs are easy to find in Alaska...provided that you want to work in either Anchorage or Fairbanks. Note that I didn't say "well paying jobs with benefits", because you still have to have the experience and qualifications for those...just like everywhere else.

Outside the largest cities it can be a much different story. In fact, since the decline or demise of the "traditional" extractive industries like timber, fishing, and mining a lot of rural Alaska isn't in that great a shape job-wise, and hasn't been for quite a while. Places that have converted to a tourism based economy are typicaly doing better, at least seasonally. People in the medical professions can usually find work state-wide, and experienced professionals in the trades (electricians, etc.) can usually scrape something up if they're willing to travel.

Sure, anyone willing and able to work hard will always find SOME sort of work, but the question is whether you'll find enough work, and especially enough well-paying work, to justify the higher cost of living up here.

Not trying to **** in your cornflakes, but anyone who just assumes they'll be able to automatically find a well-paying job wherever they want to live in this state is either delisional or misinformed. Make sure you'll be able to make it financially on your savings before you get stuck up here over the winter.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:09 AM

1,677 posts, read 5,752,211 times
Like the government can't legislate common sense, though they do keep trying. We don't try either. From the threads I have read and contributed to I find most on here try to share their experiences and keep them positive. Just because one person has a negative reaction to a life style choice doesn't mean another person or family wont succeed. The skills each person brings to the country is only a small part, I believe more importantly is their personality and drive. A person that has drive and makes friends easily will more than likely succeed than a person who isn't friendly and neighborly.

Few come to Alaska with the skill set needed to complete a dream, that is part of the adventure. Like being out in the woods camping and trying to start a fire without matches, lighter, or flint. What they learn makes them self reliant, independent, and most of all humble as to what nature can give.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:44 AM

1,252 posts, read 725,461 times
Just to be clear, I don't have a negative view towards anyone's lifestyle choice.

My contribution to the discussion wasn't to pass judgement on anyone's right to try whatever they might want to attempt.

I'm the last one to want to deny, or want to needlessly discourage someone their independence.

I only hoped to interject a bit of what might end up modifying some of what appeared to be misperceptions about how easy, or how hard it might be to realize any one dream.

From what I gleaned from reading the whole of this topic was that there might have been some expectations expressed that were going to be very difficult to easily realize.

My hope is that those holding those possibly overly optimistic expectations might re-evalute some aspects before they found themselves in an untenable situation because no one bothered to provide them with a possible downside to their venture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska