Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 07:40 PM

372 posts, read 599,388 times

Advertisements

You guys are so lucky to live in such a beautiful, peaceful state. I'm kinda jealous. I'm an 18 year old female, and I have been wanting to visit Alaska for a real long time. Nobody wants to go with me though. They say it's too cold and I protest "Anchorage is probably no colder than Michigan in the winter!" Still nothing, my family won't budge. I don't want to go alone though. We are going to Myrtle Beach soon, I've been there once and yeah, I'd rather visit Alaska.

But I just wanted to say your state is wonderful. The nature, the view, the atmosphere, I yearn for. Even though the moose can be mean and smelly! Seriously though, hopefully one day I'll be able to visit. I'll find a way. Do you like living there? Did you move to Alaska or did you grow up there? Are there a lot of young adults?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 09:29 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
My family moved up here back in February 1967 from Minnesota. It was no colder in Anchorage than back home when we stepped off the plane. Moved to Sterling on the Kenai Peninsula in June of 67 and I have lived there ever since. My Mom and two younger brothers have since moved away...but myself and my Dad still reside in Sterling.
There are young adults but not that many in Sterling. Soldotna and Kenai have more. Anchorage and the Valley even more so.
Winter in southcentral is not as bad as most folks are led to believe. It's quite tolerable, and much less humid than many of the northern states down south. Southern MN gets just as if not colder than southcentral AK.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:31 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Will let others tell you about Alaska, while I tell you about moose. These animals are quite clean; the ones who live in the cities or towns are quite friendly unless the female have young calves, or the male are "love sick after the cows," and moose don't stink at all. In fact, farm animals or all kinds are quite "stinky," specially the stuff they drop on the ground (cow pies and the rest), perhaps because of the foods we feed them. But moose forage on willow, birch, water weeds, and a great number of plants that are found in moose habitats. The moose droppings, called "moose nuggets" by a lot of Alaskans, are found all over our yards, and as far as I know nobody can tell how these things smell like. They just don't stink like dog, pig, cow, horse, nor human "nuggets"

Here is a cute baby moose for you:

Old 08-15-2013, 10:13 PM

Rance, that's what I figured. Everyone I know thinks the entire state of Alaska is dark all the time and think the temperature is around -30 degrees all the time. I know better than that.If I ever get a chance to visit, I'll probably visit Anchorage. Also would like to visit Homer. I hear it is very nice there.

RayinAK - How cute! Thanks for the picture. And huh, I guess the people who complained about the moose were just unlucky enough to encounter some grumpy ones.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:35 PM

886 posts, read 5,715,183 times
Oh don't get us wrong. Moose are very dangerous. More so than a bear if it's mating or if momma has a little one. Other than that they are gentile majestic giants.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:52 PM

I'm aware every wild animal has some aggressiveness in it. A few folks made it seem like they are permanently p'd off or something.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:13 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatic View Post
I'm aware every wild animal has some aggressiveness in it. A few folks made it seem like they are permanently p'd off or something.
Moose can be very protective of their calves, and stepping between a calf and cow could spell trouble. Also, if you encounter a moose while walking on a trail during the winter, there is a good chance that the moose does not want to step off the trail on deep snow. It's best to move back and let the moose keep the trail.

But in my backyard I just stand not closer than 50' or more away taking photos with my camera. As long as I don't move around, soon enough the moose relax and tolerate me. I have been around moose for many years, and I watch their body language carefully. For example, if a moose cow points the ears toward me, I know she is trying to figure me out, which is not a problem. But if she moves the ears slightly back, I am too close already, so I move back slowly. If she moves her ears back and close to her head, she can charge at any moment. These signs, however, you must take with a grain of salt. It's very difficult to predict what a moose will do at any time. For that reason, most times I stand on a safe place when taking pictures of moose, never close and on the ground where they can easily trample me

I was about 150' away from this cow, standing on my house's porch (her calf is behind her in the trees). As you can see she din't find me threatening, but I didn't dare getting any closer:

Old 08-15-2013, 11:40 PM

RayinAk, amazing! I just learned more from you than watching Animal Planet. I now know a little more about moose for whenever I visit Alaska. You have real help and interesting posts, thank you! And wow, that was in your backyard? Beautiful. You're torturing me with these pictures, I love them but I can't see them up close and in real life!

Old 08-16-2013, 12:24 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

Come on up!

Old 08-16-2013, 12:41 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,287,317 times
Come on up to visit on your own if nobody else will go. My first trip up I was solo and had a blast. Two weeks of cruising around, hiking, and camping! Or get a summer job and make some money while getting a feel for at least one part of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska