U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 06:51 PM

3,774 posts, read 9,896,253 times

Advertisements

Nothing tops smoked salmon. Chopped fine into a spread. Filleted. Heated with minced garlic and butter. Yum. I mean YUM!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 07:06 PM

20,419 posts, read 26,544,024 times
Quote:
How come you want to preserve it? Buy it/catch it fresh each time, much better.
That's true but you can't do that year round. Preserved salmon is better than no salmon.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:42 PM

10 posts, read 50,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
That's true but you can't do that year round. Preserved salmon is better than no salmon.
They don't sell fresh salmon year round? Or do you want a strict type?

Old 11-15-2007, 08:54 PM

No, drew, they don't....you can only fish certain times of the year here. There are some winter kings around but only in coastal communities. People who live inland are even more limited, because they are depending on river fish, and there isn't a great window of time when they are any good at all.

Flash freezing is a great thing; we have one. When something is frozen very quickly, it keeps the freshness--enzymes et al--at the same level as when they reached the freezing point. User2 explained it better than I can.

But not everyone can have one. You'd be surprised too, at just how good some preserved fish can be if it's done properly.

the only kind of "fresh salmon" that can be purchased year round is...

farmed salmon, and that is bad stuff.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:03 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,023,992 times
Mmm... smoked salmon mixed with cream cheese, spread all over a warm, toasted whole wheat bagel...

Old 11-15-2007, 09:09 PM

10 posts, read 50,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
No, drew, they don't....you can only fish certain times of the year here. There are some winter kings around but only in coastal communities. People who live inland are even more limited, because they are depending on river fish, and there isn't a great window of time when they are any good at all.

Flash freezing is a great thing; we have one. When something is frozen very quickly, it keeps the freshness--enzymes et al--at the same level as when they reached the freezing point. User2 explained it better than I can.

But not everyone can have one. You'd be surprised too, at just how good some preserved fish can be if it's done properly.

the only kind of "fresh salmon" that can be purchased year round is...

farmed salmon, and that is bad stuff.
Sorry for my ignorance, I just based it off my trips to the supermarket, and always seeing "fresh salmon" no matter what time of year. You learn something new every day!

Old 11-15-2007, 09:15 PM

So to address the original question here:

Quote:
As the title says, what is your preferred method.
From these forums I see that people smoke and jar them mostly.
Any favorite ways (am particularly interested in jarring/canning them...) will be appreciated.

I plan on fishing when I can and preserving the catch.
Please let me know what you prefer to do with your salmon to keep them for later use.

Thanks!
That's all gonna depend on what part of the state you'll be in. If you're going to live on the coast, you have more options.

What I do with my personal salmon is vacuum pack and flash freeze it. I do this with king salmon, because it's my favorite. We butterfly it and package it so that one package is enough for two people.

If you won't have access to a flash freezer, I'd suggest just vacuum packing it and freezing it in a regular freezer--and follow the after-catch suggestions of User2.

You're interested in jarring/canning though. For home use, jarring is probably better. You're going to want some variety though...there have been winters where I have eaten salmon every day and never got tired of it. I can suggest that you half smoke some of your salmon and then jar it--that will prevent a too heavy, too smoky taste.

You can also make salmon jerky--that's best with leaner fish like sockeye or silvers.

If you're into creative cooking, salmon is pretty much a gold mine in that regard. I make my own mayonnaise for my pate with hemp oil and free range eggs.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Sorry for my ignorance, I just based it off my trips to the supermarket, and always seeing "fresh salmon" no matter what time of year. You learn something new every day!
LOL, don't feel bad for not knowing...one of my favorite things to do when I go Outside is to terrorize the seafood departments of stores. In Oregon, for instance, farmed salmon legally has to be labeled as being dyed, so I pretend to be an ordinary shopper and make remarks like---"oh, it says it is dyed, ick". I have talked quite a few people out of purchasing farmed salmon

One thing to look out for in the states that don't regulate it...if the stores on the west coast are offering "Atlantic salmon"...that means it's farmed.

The farmed salmon industry is pretty bloody sneaky, too. They'll misrepresent themselves any way they can.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:34 PM

15,596 posts, read 34,552,497 times
I get em fresh right out of the ocean

Then prepare in a dry brine

Make sqaw candy cold smoked

or hot smoke a batch for jarring

Which by the way...is the bomb!

And I still run out before spring.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:38 AM

3,774 posts, read 9,896,253 times
I have a freezer full, and yet, no halibut left. Didn't make the trip to Seward or Homer this summer. Not a lot of time off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska