U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2007, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,557 times

Advertisements

I am 34. Korean-American who work for a municipality in Maryland. I am a U.S. citizen. I don't want to live in the lower 48s, and I can't go back to Korea. Going back to Korea is not that simple simply because I am Korean by birth. I am considering what seems to be a gigantic move to Alaska in about 3 to 4 years time. Maybe the sooner the better and faster I will meet my fate. I am currently in IT field. In about 3 to 4 years, I can put down close to 10 years of field experience in IT. I think I am smart enough to have faired this much in local government in Maryland, and I think I can work up in Alaska if anyone will hire me. I would prefer government sector than private sector.

I think, #1 problem is that I know no one in Alaska. #2 problem may be my hope or misconception for a better life up there. (People say some Koreans come to America to look for a better life, but now an Americanized Korean, as myself, wants to go to Alaska to look for a better life. Yes, I am totally familiar with the "reality check" in life.)

I think once I get there I should be ok. I would like to find a job before the move if at all possible, and if that doesn't happen the move never take place.

Anyone and everyone, please give me your suggestions for moving to Alaska. What should be my starting point?

I don't want to sound bigoted, but I also need to know what the Asian community (which includes Alaska natives, American Indians, and other Asian Americans) is like up there. Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 12:56 AM

2,518 posts, read 5,875,342 times
With that much experience in IT you will probably not have any problem getting a job. I'm not Asian and so am not in the community, but I feel that there is an active Asian community here. Here is a link about the New Sagaya Grocery store. It is a going concern and caters to Asians...there must be a need for it New Sagaya's Midtown Market, 3700 Old Seward Hwy, Anchorage, AK on Yahoo! Local

There are a lot of Alaska Natives here...obviously. But I'm not sure they consider themselves part of the Asian community.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:59 AM

21,358 posts, read 32,319,499 times
There is a large Korean community here in Bethel. From what I've noticed is that they help themselves first and the rest of the community second. I don't recall them helping the community in anyway. I like the Koreans. Like any other race, theres the few of them that make them look bad and gives them a black eye.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:22 AM

2,628 posts, read 6,026,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
There are a lot of Alaska Natives here...obviously. But I'm not sure they consider themselves part of the Asian community.
Agreed. Although distantly there could be some Asian heritage in certain native bloodlines, it would have to be really distant- like prior to crossing the Behring land bridge distant.
Juneau has a large and active Filipino community- not sure if you consider that Asian or not.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:03 AM

1,252 posts, read 726,912 times
Korean Community of Anchorage Inc

Address: 1204 West 33rd Avenue , Anchorage , AK 99503
Telephone: (907)561-5345
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or