Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 06:15 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times

Advertisements

Ok. I've done my research and I need the locals help. I've read threads and older news articles about the 'capital' of Alaska moving out of Juneau.

I would like some current opinions on how likely that would be in the near future? Is the issue of the Capital not being road system accessible still a real concern?

AND what city would it go to? Fairbanks and Anchorage have issues as well - as I understand it. I've even heard Homer could be a possibility?

Old 09-10-2013, 08:09 PM

623 posts, read 957,488 times
Willow was a choice at one time, and Wasilla another. Most people live in S. Central AK, so many would like the capital to be moved there. It's been voted on a couple of times, but the money was never there to make it happen. I think the road issue is an excuse. I imagine most would still fly between Anchorage and Juneau rather than make the drive. Many legislators and others who are here during session go home on weekends and would still fly. A road to Juneau wouldn't change minds.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:58 PM

If I understand you correctly, you think Juneau is there to stay as the Capital City?

I obviously can't put an opinion on a road to Juneau, other than as an outsider it would be nice to be able to drive to Juneau rather than take a Ferry over. (I can't fly my vehicles in - well I guess you could, but it would probably cost more than the vehicle was worth to do it)

Old 09-10-2013, 11:40 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
The overwhelming majority of Alaskans want the capital moved. Personally, I do not care where it is moved as long as it is somewhere on the road system. There is a federal law that prohibits State capitals from being located on islands (Hawaii being an obvious exception). Which is why Alaska's original capital in Sitka was moved to Juneau. While technically Juneau is not an island, it still violates the spirit of the law which is to make State capitals accessible to the majority of its citizens.

The Alaska State Constitution prohibits allocating funds through the initiative process. Which is why Alaskans could only vote to move the capital, and could not vote on funding the move.

Juneau, in the mean time, is ensuring as many State government positions as possible are located in Juneau. This does a great disservice to the rest of the State. Over one third of Juneau's entire non-agricultural workforce works for State or local government. Almost half of all jobs in Juneau are government jobs. As a result, State government is not being staffed by the most qualified in Alaska, it is only being staffed by the most qualified in Juneau. As more and more State jobs are consolidated in Juneau, the quality of State government will continue to decline and become very south east panhandle centric.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:00 AM

623 posts, read 957,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
If I understand you correctly, you think Juneau is there to stay as the Capital City?

I obviously can't put an opinion on a road to Juneau, other than as an outsider it would be nice to be able to drive to Juneau rather than take a Ferry over. (I can't fly my vehicles in - well I guess you could, but it would probably cost more than the vehicle was worth to do it)

I don't see the capital moving simply because the cost involved. Most state jobs are in Anchorage, BTW, not Juneau. The capital move wouldn't destroy the town.

Most mid to upper level State jobs in Juneau aren't staffed by folks who are from Juneau. Many are recruited from other parts of the State and in some cases, the nation.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by takuriver View Post
I don't see the capital moving simply because the cost involved. Most state jobs are in Anchorage, BTW, not Juneau. The capital move wouldn't destroy the town.

Most mid to upper level State jobs in Juneau aren't staffed by folks who are from Juneau. Many are recruited from other parts of the State and in some cases, the nation.
On a per capita basis, there are more State jobs in Juneau than in Anchorage, or anywhere else in Alaska. There are about 15,000 jobs in State government, and Juneau has more than a quarter of them.

Anchorage has approximately 6,800 State employees and a population of 298,610, compared to about 3,800 State jobs in Juneau with a population of 32,164. That is a ratio of 1 State job for every 44 residents in Anchorage, compared to a ratio of 1 State job for every 8 residents in Juneau.

Also, in many cases, if you do not move to Juneau to take the State position, then you will not get the State position. Juneau is very reluctant to move any State job outside of Juneau and will do so only if absolutely necessary.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:37 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,612,445 times
I think it should be moved but I also don't think it ever will be.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:18 AM

941 posts, read 1,791,549 times
Being from Florida I remember many years ago there was a lot of discussion about how the Capitol was so far away from where the majority of the State's citizens lived. From Key West to Tallahassee was pictured as hindering the State's Citizens from participating in the democratic processes of the State. As I recall the distance is about 650 miles which when the speed limit was 55 MPH was half a day to cover that distance. The Northern half of the State was very conservative and racist and for most of my life has controlled the legislature. From Miami to Tallahassee is about 500 miles and I remember that a sizeable portion of the legislature were driving to Tallahassee and there were some real debates about bringing the Capitol closer to the scene of the action. Gradually as transportation became better and with the advent of air travel the issue went away. Many of the same arguments about moving the Capitol I've heard since I originally started coming to Alaska. However the ease of getting to Tallahassee has muted the argument and much of the State has shifted the political viewpoint and I don't recall any move the Capitol debates in the recent past. Comparing the situation in Florida to the situation in Alaska leads one to the conclusion that inaction may eventually remove the nexus of the problem but the access to Alaska's Capitol will always remain limited because of the geography. In the past few years the argument seems to have become more political in that somehow the legislature seems to be dominated by the SE political views. Anchorage is in effect like Miami and Juneau is like Tallahassee resulting in the political schism that presently exists. The idea of moving the State's Capitol might come down to economics but it's possible there might be a compromise in which Homer is put forward as the logical choice. Homer has a more moderate maritime climate than Anchorage and would be a better investment for the Capitol's location. There is a good water supply and the possibility of developing a deep sea port would be much easier. The Alaska Railroad could easily be extended across the Kenai Peninsular which would allow better incoming transportation. Access from all parts of Alaska would be enhanced and some costs would be reduced making the Capitol better able to allow participation of all in the governmental process.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richelles View Post
Being from Florida I remember many years ago there was a lot of discussion about how the Capitol was so far away from where the majority of the State's citizens lived. From Key West to Tallahassee was pictured as hindering the State's Citizens from participating in the democratic processes of the State. As I recall the distance is about 650 miles which when the speed limit was 55 MPH was half a day to cover that distance. The Northern half of the State was very conservative and racist and for most of my life has controlled the legislature. From Miami to Tallahassee is about 500 miles and I remember that a sizeable portion of the legislature were driving to Tallahassee and there were some real debates about bringing the Capitol closer to the scene of the action. Gradually as transportation became better and with the advent of air travel the issue went away. Many of the same arguments about moving the Capitol I've heard since I originally started coming to Alaska. However the ease of getting to Tallahassee has muted the argument and much of the State has shifted the political viewpoint and I don't recall any move the Capitol debates in the recent past. Comparing the situation in Florida to the situation in Alaska leads one to the conclusion that inaction may eventually remove the nexus of the problem but the access to Alaska's Capitol will always remain limited because of the geography. In the past few years the argument seems to have become more political in that somehow the legislature seems to be dominated by the SE political views. Anchorage is in effect like Miami and Juneau is like Tallahassee resulting in the political schism that presently exists. The idea of moving the State's Capitol might come down to economics but it's possible there might be a compromise in which Homer is put forward as the logical choice. Homer has a more moderate maritime climate than Anchorage and would be a better investment for the Capitol's location. There is a good water supply and the possibility of developing a deep sea port would be much easier. The Alaska Railroad could easily be extended across the Kenai Peninsular which would allow better incoming transportation. Access from all parts of Alaska would be enhanced and some costs would be reduced making the Capitol better able to allow participation of all in the governmental process.
The difference being that you can drive to the State capital in Florida, regardless of the distance. Very few people in Alaska are willing or able to shell out the $250 to $300 air transportation costs to visit their representative.

It is also not the State Senators or Representatives that are the problem. They come from all over Alaska. It is the State employees within the Executive Branch that are the problem. They are extremely Juneau centric and do not give a damn about the rest of the State.

Homer does not have the infrastructure necessary to support the State capital, few places in Alaska do. However, as I said previously, I would support a capital move as long as it were somewhere on the road system. They could put it in Cold Foot, Chicken, Tok, or Glennallen for all I care. At least the overwhelming majority of Alaskans would have road access. They should also hire the most qualified employees from anywhere in the State, not just those willing to live in Juneau.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:11 PM

This is an interesting debate - and being from Florida - I understand your analogy perfect, Richelles. There are people here that want Florida to be split into two States, but that has never gained any real traction.

Alaska has a bigger problem than Florida - as stated, it's only 1 driving from one extreme area of the state to the other. There are interstates to do it on. Although, it still is not free to drive. Key West to Pensacola is 830 miles. (About the two furthest cities in Florida) (830 miles/18mpg * $4 Gal) = $185 each way in just Fuel.

So if the State of Alaska (or Federal Government) built a road or railroad that connected the Road system to AK - Then 'Glitch' would be happy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska