Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2013, 10:16 AM

11 posts, read 13,125 times

Advertisements

Just returned from a 12 day cruise/tour with Princess cruises. I have wanted to see Alaska since I was 16 years old, I'm now 66. This was fantastic, better than I ever imagined. I was disappointed with the commercialization in the larger areas like Fairbanks and Anchorage. But, the scenery was out of this world. A Denali tour and visits to major glaciers. We wanted to see; ice falling from a glacier, wild animals, the northern lights and Mt. McKinley. We got to see all three. The northern lights were seen through dense clouds. But, on our flight out of Fairbanks on our way home was different. When we broke out of the cloud cover there they were, just like the beautiful pictured of the northern lights. My only regret was waiting so long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 10:41 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
Why are you disappointed with Anchorage and Fairbanks? Just like any of the other 49 states real people with real needs live in Anchorage. Not all of us can live the lifestyle of a trapper, miner, homesteader or lumberjack. Thus appropriately Anchorage and Fairbanks have become commercialized cities.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed you trip. Hopefully you'll get to make it back again soon!

Old 09-14-2013, 12:37 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
The cruise dept probably steers them toward the Made In China shops even in Anchorage/Fairbanks. But you are correct stiff, there are probably some folks that upon arrival to Anc, are bummed to see just another small city similar to anywhere USA. No false front stores, dogteams and sleds running up and down the streets. Not even a hitchin post for the horses!

Last edited by Rance; 09-15-2013 at 04:25 PM..

Old 09-15-2013, 04:03 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,268,331 times
Wonderful your dream finally came true. Glad you had a great time!

Old 09-15-2013, 04:21 PM

3,882 posts, read 4,533,112 times
Default Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgswaim View Post
Just returned from a 12 day cruise/tour with Princess cruises. I have wanted to see Alaska since I was 16 years old, I'm now 66. This was fantastic, better than I ever imagined. I was disappointed with the commercialization in the larger areas like Fairbanks and Anchorage. But, the scenery was out of this world. A Denali tour and visits to major glaciers. We wanted to see; ice falling from a glacier, wild animals, the northern lights and Mt. McKinley. We got to see all three. The northern lights were seen through dense clouds. But, on our flight out of Fairbanks on our way home was different. When we broke out of the cloud cover there they were, just like the beautiful pictured of the northern lights. My only regret was waiting so long.
How did you visit the glaciers? I hear there are a few different ways to see them. My friends did a cruise this past June and did a hike to see them, but their friends did a helicopter ride and then actually went onto the glacier. I think there was a small boat option too.

Sounds like you had a wonderful time and so happy for you!

Old 09-15-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
How did you visit the glaciers? I hear there are a few different ways to see them. My friends did a cruise this past June and did a hike to see them, but their friends did a helicopter ride and then actually went onto the glacier. I think there was a small boat option too.

Sounds like you had a wonderful time and so happy for you!
The cruise ship pulled up pretty close to them, within 50 yards. We could hear very clearly the ice cracking.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
The cruise dept probably steers them toward the Made In China shops even in Anchorage/Fairbanks. But you are correct stiff, there are probably some folks that upon arrival to Anc, are bummed to see just another small city similar to anywhere USA. No false front stores, dogteams and sleds running up and down the streets. Not even a hitchin post for the horses!

A couple of things I could not understand. In the small towns like Skagway, where does the town get fresh water and where does the sewage go? I doubt there can be septic tanks. I didn't see any water purification facilities or sewage treatment plants.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:38 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,284,419 times
They use an aquifer. Water treatment facilities for smaller populations may not resemble the giant industrial complexes in large cities. They're not generally in the touristy areas, either. Ours can't even be seen from the road. You could see it from a helicopter or a plane, though. I don't know why there couldn't be septic tanks. We have them in areas not served by city sewer.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:05 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,514,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
You hit the nail on the head with the Made in China shop comment...

I just came back from a weekend road trip to Clearwater Beach, Florida. Same thing with the shops. All selling 'junk'. At least the small 'tourist' area around Denali had some locally made stuff -or- so they said. We didn't get much, but my kids were given an allowance for souvenirs and they spent some money there.

Congrats on making your dream come true. Sounds like you had a great time.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:52 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
Glad you made the trip! Hopefully it will give you a lifetime of pleasant memories!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska