Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 11:39 AM

28 posts, read 59,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawknest View Post
Drive it - you won't use $2500 worth of fuel or get sea-sick.
Oh, yes! We plan to drive it. I thought it would be easier, but with that price, I don't mind taking the scenic route.
My husband is in Anchorage now and he will be flying back to GA the middle of October. Then we are driving back up. How are the roads in Canada in Alaska in October?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 12:56 AM

458 posts, read 603,430 times
In the winter, the driver is free on the ferry, and passengers may be slightly cheaper,
but it might still be cheaper. Usually several weeks waiting period for ferry from Washington to Alaska, plus only goes once a month. Can go from Prince Rupert to Haines and save several hundred miles of driving, but may cost more .

Old 10-05-2013, 01:16 PM

10 posts, read 8,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeach71 View Post
Oh, yes! We plan to drive it. I thought it would be easier, but with that price, I don't mind taking the scenic route.
My husband is in Anchorage now and he will be flying back to GA the middle of October. Then we are driving back up. How are the roads in Canada in Alaska in October?
Hi GeorgiaPeach!

We drove the ALCAN in late September/early October a couple of years ago. Every year the weather is different, but you will want to be prepared for anything from a sunny day to snow/ice, especially in the mountain passes. It was a phenomenal experience for us, and one that I would love to repeat at a slower pace.

A couple of things to consider:
-Not all gas stations are open off season, so grab a copy of the milepost and plot out your trip with possible places to fuel up/stay for the night.
-Must have passport and no DUI or criminal record in your past or the canadian border patrol agents will deny you entry into Canada. ( Not saying this is an issue for you and hubby, just nice info to know!)
-Copy of MILEPOST is a must. Don't leave home without it! The information contained in the milepost will prove invaluable on the trip.
-Check the weather before you go and be prepared with warm clothing/blankets/food/water in case you break down. There isn't as much traffic this time of year, so help may be a while!
-We carried two spare tires just in case. Some of the road surface is pretty rough.
-Also carried an extra can of gas. Didn't need the tires or the gas, but it sure was nice to know we had them just in case!
-Do not drive at night if you can help it. Too many critters on the road!

I am sure I am leaving stuff out, but the great folks on the forum will probably have more suggestions. Most important thing-don't forget your CAMERA!!

Best of luck to you and hubby.

Old 10-06-2013, 03:04 PM

324 posts, read 710,919 times
The Milepost is highly over-rated. Find an old copy if you need to have something to read in the wc. I carry extra fuel, spare parts, two unmounted tires and a 4x4 cedar post. Most of the roads are well plowed and I'm heading south in 10 days for the winter.

Old 10-06-2013, 05:55 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,614,552 times
I've never carried extra gas or more then 1 spare tire. In 25 years I have never needed them. Not even 1 flat tire. Extra parts? Save your old fan belt, maybe some duct tape, bailing wire and a few hose clamps. Cause if you're not a mechanic chances are you can't fix it anyway. You'd be better off addressing issue before you leave and carrying an up-to-date copy of the Milepost. It's nice to know what business are actually open and not rely on outdated information. If you don't rent a satellite phone then at least get a CB radio and antenna so you at least have some form of comms.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:58 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,493,792 times
Know the range you have on a tank of gas. After each fill-up, plot out how far you can go on a tank and then see what's available for that section. In some cases, it might mean topping off at Fort St. John after filling up at Dawson Creek, in order to get to Fort Nelson. I believe the road between Fort Nelson and Watson Lake is the longest section with limited facilities, approximately 330 miles long. If your vehicle doesn't have that range, then you might think about bringing a spare gas can.

As mentioned, communications are limited along vast stretches of the route. While you can rent a satellite phone or get a CB radio, I'll bet you'll never need to use either. If you travel smart by making sure your vehicle is in good condition, listening to weather reports and road conditions, and are prepared to stay an extra day if a snow storm is passing through, you should have no problems.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:21 PM

21,368 posts, read 37,942,379 times
I drove down in June, my GCI cell phone worked the entire way. Of course there was no service in the areas between the larger towns. I did end up paying a bunch for using my phone though.

In between Fort Nelson and Watson Lake you have open year round: Toad River Lodge, Northern Rockies Lodge at Muncho Lake, and Liard River Hot Springs Lodge, they all have fuel.

Alaska Highway RV Campground Availability & Rates | Toad River Lodge

Muncho Lake Hotel - Alaska Highway Lodging - Northern Rockies Lodge

Liard Hotsprings Lodge

Old 10-07-2013, 07:10 PM

324 posts, read 710,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
I've never carried extra gas or more then 1 spare tire. In 25 years I have never needed them. Not even 1 flat tire. Extra parts? Save your old fan belt, maybe some duct tape, bailing wire and a few hose clamps. Cause if you're not a mechanic chances are you can't fix it anyway. You'd be better off addressing issue before you leave and carrying an up-to-date copy of the Milepost. It's nice to know what business are actually open and not rely on outdated information. If you don't rent a satellite phone then at least get a CB radio and antenna so you at least have some form of comms.
Mod Cut

My truck carries 800 litres of #2 diesel and 28 litres for the generator on the horse trailer. I keep an extra 20 litre tank along with a full supply of hoses and spare parts, and air compressor. I can change tyres faster than you can get a Good Sam Road Service truck out there. We use VHF or Iridium radios not CB's.

Last edited by Rance; 10-07-2013 at 11:06 PM..

Old 10-07-2013, 08:38 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,614,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawknest View Post
Well sir, you are a fool.

My truck carries 800 litres of #2 diesel and 28 litres for the generator on the horse trailer. I keep an extra 20 litre tank along with a full supply of hoses and spare parts, and air compressor. I can change tyres faster than you can get a Good Sam Road Service truck out there. We use VHF or Iridium radios not CB's.
Well aren't you special?? Most of the truck drivers on the Alcan and the Cassiar are monitoring CB radios. I've talked to a good number of them. The average Joe Citizen driving up and down the highway in his Subaru Outback isn't gonna have room for 2 extra spare tires, 100 extra gallons of petrol, an air compressor and a giant box of spare parts. And I'd bet 50 bucks I can change the tire on my F150 faster then you can.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:58 PM

49 posts, read 108,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Well aren't you special?? Most of the truck drivers on the Alcan and the Cassiar are monitoring CB radios. I've talked to a good number of them. The average Joe Citizen driving up and down the highway in his Subaru Outback isn't gonna have room for 2 extra spare tires, 100 extra gallons of petrol, an air compressor and a giant box of spare parts. And I'd bet 50 bucks I can change the tire on my F150 faster then you can.
Really! You aren't in the same league. He's a trucker who hauls 55000 lb loads. You know I believe him before you. In my limited number of trips to/from Alaska hauling furniture, I used a VFH radio more than my CB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska