U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2013, 05:58 PM

5 posts, read 10,971 times

Advertisements

Okay so I know homesteading isn't legal anymore in Alaska, that the programs dont exist anymore(or so I've read) but I've read some people's articles and seen some youtube videos about people going off into the abyss and building a cabin and kinda just surviving on their own, off the grid so to say. So here's my questions... Do people do that a lot in Alaska? And those who do, are they bothered for it at all? Is it considered a criminal offense?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 07:17 PM

16,171 posts, read 27,421,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakita0311 View Post
Okay so I know homesteading isn't legal anymore in Alaska, that the programs dont exist anymore(or so I've read) but I've read some people's articles and seen some youtube videos about people going off into the abyss and building a cabin and kinda just surviving on their own, off the grid so to say. So here's my questions... Do people do that a lot in Alaska? And those who do, are they bothered for it at all? Is it considered a criminal offense?
The answer is no, at least not legally except as explained below.

Most of Alaska is owned by the Federal Government, Natives own the next portion of the land, and the State the remainder. Out of this last portion the cities and boroughs control the rest of the land (include the private sector in here). If you have the money and there is land for sale (other than Federal or Native lands), then you can buy some of it. The problem is that land in Alaska can be quite expensive. The cheapest land available are parcels without road access. These usually require the use or aircraft or boats to access during the summer, or aircraft and snow machines during the winter months.

Thus the reason why remote lands are mostly unpopulated. Think of it this way: if it was cheap for the average Alaskan to own some remote land or property, wouldn't he or she have acquired such already?

Old 09-18-2013, 07:54 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,778,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The answer is no, at least not legally except as explained below.

Most of Alaska is owned by the Federal Government, Natives own the next portion of the land, and the State the remainder. Out of this last portion the cities and boroughs control the rest of the land (include the private sector in here). If you have the money and there is land for sale (other than Federal or Native lands), then you can buy some of it. The problem is that land in Alaska can be quite expensive. The cheapest land available are parcels without road access. These usually require the use or aircraft or boats to access during the summer, or aircraft and snow machines during the winter months.

Thus the reason why remote lands are mostly unpopulated. Think of it this way: if it was cheap for the average Alaskan to own some remote land or property, wouldn't he or she have acquired such already?

Huh? Wasn't he asking about living in the forest? Maybe i misread it, but I'm lost on the connection about who owns land and the price.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:57 PM

20,418 posts, read 26,539,344 times
It's cheap to own some land; all you've got to do is buy it on the OTC thing, but it's not cheap to build on it or to live on it, especially if you need to be around a populated area for employment purposes.

I wouldn't advise just walking into the wild and setting up shop; someone will know you're there, and you don't want to be on the wrong person's property.

You're interested in living in SE, right? What people used to do there was build floathouses; the tidelands belong to everyone. I'm not sure how much of that goes on anymore. Gramma'sCabin (another poster here) has a pretty cool one; maybe she'll come along and post some pics of it.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
Huh? Wasn't he asking about living in the forest? Maybe i misread it, but I'm lost on the connection about who owns land and the price.
What Ray is saying is that for those who want to live remote, there is some fairly reasonable land available for sale through the State. It's a lot less risky than trying to settle on Native, federal, or private land, but it's expensive to build out there and to live out there.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:15 PM

1,926 posts, read 3,906,849 times
I believe you can obtain squatters rights after 10 years of living on the land? Trick is to not get kicked off before then .

Old 09-18-2013, 09:17 PM

On what land? It would have to be Federal or State; that wouldn't fly on Native holdings.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:47 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,778,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
What Ray is saying is that for those who want to live remote, there is some fairly reasonable land available for sale through the State. It's a lot less risky than trying to settle on Native, federal, or private land, but it's expensive to build out there and to live out there.

OK, well I interpreted it as just walking into the woods and building a cabin and living. That he wasnt looking to buy anything. Just as if he was homesteading.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:08 PM

Yeah, I think that's what the OP was typing about; Ray just mentioned a reasonable alternative. It would not be wise at all to simply start building on someone's land.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:39 PM

3,977 posts, read 2,963,042 times
The thing you have to remember is that unless you're somewhere that's so remote that the population density of the region is zero (in which case it's likely the land isn't very livable, hence no one living there) people are gonna notice you. In fact, the smaller the population, the more likely people will notice you. This is counterintuitive to a lot of people from more built-up areas, but in rural areas it's pretty difficult to go unnoticed and unremarked for any significant length of time; unfamiliar people really stand out. And since, dreams aside, you won't be living 100% off the land (the skills required to do this take guidance and much time to learn, and even then the people who did so historically did so in groups, because shared labor is a necessity), you'll be noticed when you get supplies for building, food, etc., and that will be remarked upon as well, and if it's know that no one's purchased property in the area, well...

And yeah, trespassing here is just as criminal as it is anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or