U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 06:10 PM

21,337 posts, read 30,742,097 times

Advertisements

Heres another idea, read any of Nick Jans books about life in the northern interior of Alaska. He drove up here 20 something years ago and was a teacher up in Ambler. He has a couple books now and he contributes to the Alaska Magazine. He has a bunch of interesting stories on life in Alaska. He also has a book on that wacko Tim Treadwell "The Grizzly Maze."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 06:25 PM

2,356 posts, read 4,691,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
PLEASE--do not move up here and "just start building a shanty in the wilderness". I'll turn you into the feds myself if I see you.
Is this a problem in Alaska? I understand the opportunity exists.....but how many people can really live like that.....at least from the lower 48.

Is there still any affordable land left in alaska that is on the water and at least a short flight or boat ride from civilization? Preferably SE Alaska

Old 11-16-2007, 07:28 PM

18,900 posts, read 24,277,867 times
Quote:
Is this a problem in Alaska? I understand the opportunity exists.....but how many people can really live like that.....at least from the lower 48.

Is there still any affordable land left in alaska that is on the water and at least a short flight or boat ride from civilization? Preferably SE Alaska
I'm not sure how much of a problem it really is; after all, it's very unrealistic. I just get tired of seeing posts from people thinking they can just do that and it's offensive to those of us who get our land the honest way. I don't go skipping around the lower 48 just throwing up shanties. If someone really wants to live remotely, the over the counter land sales are very reasonable. Also, some of that remote land that people might get dropped off on happens to belong to private individuals...they better hope it ain't mine.

Affordable SE land...near water...gonna be tough but you might be able to find something. There isn't any over the counter land available in SE at all. Now and then some good deals come along--right now I'm looking a copy of the local paper and I see some things. Looks like some reasonable land over in Thorne Bay.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:56 PM

17,852 posts, read 18,222,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
I blame movies like Jeremiah Johnson and Into The Wild for people with ideas like this. They need to think of what they're about to do before we find a couple of dead bodies in the wilderness.
I agree, but I look at it this way. If they are like Chris McCandless and are too stupid to prepare properly resulting in their demise, then it improves the overall gene pool of the species. Just remember, dead people don't reproduce!

Old 11-16-2007, 11:20 PM

15,577 posts, read 32,990,759 times
There have been people sneaking in here for years. Since the 1800's. But many died along the way. Then they came up with the 1000 lbs of gear to even be allowed up the trail. And many still died. It's not any picnic. I'd consider spending a year in a civilized place and then see if you still want to crawl off the face of the planet and spend year round in a remote small cabin. You may end up going postal on your spouse or the neighbors. It's happend more than once.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:02 AM

2,517 posts, read 5,570,942 times
There are lots more people who move up here, figure out how to live and end up being productive members of society. I don't buy into the people coming up and dying like flies. Yes, people do come up and some have to be rescued. But most don't. Most learn how to live and stay to become Alaskans. Some burn out after a year or so.

But it's not like Alaska is the ends of the earth where there be monsters ready to eat all the unwary.

People need to have realistic expectations. They shouldn't expect hot showers out in the boonies. They will be working to just keep warm. If they have realistic expectations, the willingness to learn, and the willingness to work, I don't have a problem with them.

Most of the people on this board, (except Alaska Natives), were new here at some time, or their parents were new. Some people want to live the bush lifestyle, more power to them. I have lived it, and love it. But the rest of my family likes hot showers and the mall.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:07 AM

1,675 posts, read 5,530,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
There are lots more people who move up here, figure out how to live and end up being productive members of society. I don't buy into the people coming up and dying like flies. Yes, people do come up and some have to be rescued. But most don't. Most learn how to live and stay to become Alaskans. Some burn out after a year or so.

But it's not like Alaska is the ends of the earth where there be monsters ready to eat all the unwary. Don't we call them bears and wolves?
People need to have realistic expectations. They shouldn't expect hot showers out in the boonies. They will be working to just keep warm. If they have realistic expectations, the willingness to learn, and the willingness to work, I don't have a problem with them.

Most of the people on this board, (except Alaska Natives), were new here at some time, or their parents were new. Some people want to live the bush lifestyle, more power to them. I have lived it, and love it. But the rest of my family likes hot showers and the mall.
That's why I don't live in the woods, hot running water and some place proper for it to run off to!

Old 11-17-2007, 02:16 AM

I guess you are right Arctic, but they only consume a few people a year.

Old 11-17-2007, 02:46 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,816,539 times
Default not on my nickle, please

I'd be all for allowing every determined ignoramus their own individual chance to starve to death in the wilderness...provided that they sign a waiver and post a bond first.

The waiver would specifically exempt the AK State Troopers from any requirement to bail them out of trouble, and the bond would pay for the flight hours and overtime from when they ended up doing it anyway.

It irritates me to no end reading about it time and again where the Trooper/Coasties/Mountain Rescue types are out there risking their own lives and wasting the publics money plucking the latest set of muddle-headed moorons out of their latest self-made mess. Included in the latter category I specifically include heli-skiiers, remote-river white-water rafters, clueless trophy hunter types and all the various and sundry McCandless wanna-bes, present and future .

C'mon guys...not on my nickle please.

If you absolutely gotta go freeze to death in the arctic wilderness, I'll second the notion of doing it up in Canada instead.

Last edited by rotorhead; 11-17-2007 at 02:51 AM.. Reason: ikantspel

Old 11-17-2007, 11:30 AM

People who want to live in the boonies should stay for at least a year in a place like this one in Fairbanks (broken link) This will feel like heaven after a year in a make shift 8X10 cabin in the bush.

That's what Heimo Korth lived in during his first few years trapping. It's easy and fast to build and keep warm.

The reason so few people are living like that is because most people find that they actually do want to talk to people. I discovered that I wasn't a complete hermit after getting stuck for 3 weeks in the foothills of the Brooks Range in February in an 8X10 wall tent. I didn't have any reading material or radio. That place was so remote that I hardly ever even heard an airplane. It was in that tent that I decided to go the University and enter society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska