Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2007, 09:31 AM

77 posts, read 252,573 times

Advertisements

So in about a week and a half, I'll be in Anchorage...and I"m just curious how much snow is on the ground right now? I've got all the gear as I'm from MN/WI, so that's not an issue, I'm just curious. We've only got a dusting down here right now.

I'm really excited and REALLY stressed out. I've got my plane ticket (though I wish I could have made the drive...but the whole driving-through-the-yukon-in-nov in my two-wheel drive saturn sorta freaks me out a bit), I've got a place to stay, and I've got a borrowed vehicle when I arrive. And I'll have three days before I have to start work.

I'm just looking forward to seeing those mountains again...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 12:23 PM

740 posts, read 1,973,052 times
We only have about 3 to 6 inches so far. It has been a strange winter. We receive a few inches and then we get warmer temps and the snow melts. Temperatures have been pretty mild as well. You did the right thing by flying up here. It is easy and cheap enough to pick up a used car. A subaru is pretty common up here since they get good gas milage and are all wheel drive. Making the drive up the AlCan in a small 2x4 is a definitely high risk, even if you have studs on.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:30 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
A couple years ago my cousin and I drove his Ford Focus up in February, we had no problems with it on the road. All it had was summer tires and they worked well. We even hit a few snow storms on the way. The Canadians take good care of the highway in the winter. One night it snowed hard, when we left the next day the plow trucks were out in full force. Three years ago I bought my truck in Seattle in December, a friend and I drove up and I didn't even us the 4wheel drive all the way up. I did get new tires though, Toyo AT's. They're the best tires I've ever bought. We also hit two snow storms on the way then and no problems.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:41 PM

740 posts, read 1,973,052 times
The Alcan can still be dangerous for a single person. If you are completely prepared and decked out with survival gear(and the knowledge), then sure..have fun. I have made the drive multiple times and we have ran into many hairy situations(including a break-down). We also felt a nippy -61 F. So if her car was to break down in the middle of the desolate Yukon when it is -40 or worse, then what? Not trying to scare people, but you have to respect mother nature. On a drive to Fairbanks we were driving at night and it was snowing pretty heavy. It was a really dry snow and a double trailer semi came flying past. It was a complete white-out for a few seconds. That can get pretty scary at times.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:27 PM

77 posts, read 252,573 times
We did contemplate long and hard about whether or not to drive or fly...and I did want to drive...but I don't think that I'm prepared enough at this point in time. I've driven through some pretty hairy weather but I'm not going to kid myself. It's cheaper to buy the $325 one way ticket and fly up and buy a cheap-o car instead of risk my life for the sake of driving up there, however much I want to do it. Doesn't mean I'm going to give up my dream of making the Alcan trip someday! I'm still gonna do it eventually! Just...not at the last minute like this....

Old 11-18-2007, 05:58 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
My wife and I have driven the AK Highway several times, but during the summer. It's a great experience if one takes time to enjoy the view. Canadians have been very nice and helpful on our trips, too.

A few years ago, my daughter and her friend were driving near White Horse on the way to AK, and rolled the car. They were lucky enough to receive minor injuries, and a family (couple and kids) gave them a ride to the hospital, and then took them to their home, where both girls stayed for a couple of days. They flew back to AK.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:21 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
I had another 3 inches added to the previous 3 inches. So I'm calling it a good 6 inches as it was snowing to beat heck at 4:00am in Sterling. Another typical hypnotizing 3 hour drive to Anchorage in a blizzard in the dark.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:45 AM

1,429 posts, read 3,414,959 times
If you ever do drive the AK highway during the winter, a good addition to the car is Lightforce lights with blue covers. They make a world of a difference for visibility in white outs.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:49 AM

1 posts, read 12,900 times
Default How much snow in Anchorage

I used to live in Anchorage, 2005. I will find out if I'm going back in a few hours. I made a lot of friends and will be very excited if I get to go. The move will be paid for. I was trying to find out if how much snow is on the ground myself. The drive was incredible last time, but I drove in March. The roads were not bad. I remember it took me three hours to get via customs. I didn't know there is an easire customs in Montana. I will be working in Girdwood. That is the only negative. It's about 40 miles from Anchorage, so I was told, on highway 1. The most dangerous road in the U.S. It's so beautiful in Alaska. I heard drugs and crime is going up. They can't get a handle on the meth. Being in Alaska, I thought all they would do is take care kill the drug dealers themselves. I can hardly wait. It's going to tough finding a place on my pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska