U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2014, 09:37 PM

15,596 posts, read 34,556,906 times

Advertisements

Everyone should avoid Alaska like the plague. Going to be nothing but zombies here real soon.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 01:01 PM

2,321 posts, read 1,056,866 times
Just curious,
its been really quiet about this issue for awhile (although the plant is still leaking radiation in tho the ocean daily that is washing up to our coasts, all along the pacific rim)...

just wondering what people have heard, think about this ...

Old 11-14-2016, 01:26 PM

996 posts, read 838,971 times
I throw the three headed fish back. Other than that I don't think about it much.

Old 11-14-2016, 01:28 PM

3,979 posts, read 2,966,341 times
All the glow-in-the-dark fish are really saving me money on my electric bill.

Old 11-14-2016, 02:16 PM

48,897 posts, read 39,392,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
Just curious,
its been really quiet about this issue for awhile (although the plant is still leaking radiation in tho the ocean daily that is washing up to our coasts, all along the pacific rim)...

just wondering what people have heard, think about this ...
I don't think you realize the extent of the size of the pacific ocean nor that the Russians and others have dumped old nuclear reactors out there for decades.

National Geographic had a nice article on how much stuff is dumped out there.

I'd search around for some REPUTABLE articles on the topic and you'll quickly realize why it's not a big issue that's still talked about. Most of the early fearmongers were just trying to sell clicks to their website and things like freeze-dried food, gold, radiation detectors and have moved on to some new faux-threat.

Old 11-14-2016, 04:55 PM

2,803 posts, read 1,499,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I don't think you realize the extent of the size of the pacific ocean nor that the Russians and others have dumped old nuclear reactors out there for decades.

National Geographic had a nice article on how much stuff is dumped out there...
Who else?

Haven't seen that Geo article. Sounds interesting.

No radioactive particles detected in Alaska seafood. Fukushima Radiation Concerns in Alaska

Old 11-14-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Who else?

Haven't seen that Geo article. Sounds interesting.

No radioactive particles detected in Alaska seafood. Fukushima Radiation Concerns in Alaska
good to hear-
I was curious thats all- we are in oregon, and its all the same ocean we are in--

and I am aware there are other sources of radiation in the Pacific, but common sense tells me that having a nuclear reactor still leaking, is like, not a good thing...

Old 11-14-2016, 07:08 PM

996 posts, read 838,971 times
Nuclear subs have sunk in the past:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ear_submarines

I assume at least some are leaking already, eventually they all will. And there's this counter intuitive article on the recovery at Chernobyl:

Chernobyl: Environmental dead zone or eco-haven? - CNN.com

Old 11-14-2016, 07:40 PM

2,803 posts, read 1,499,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
Nuclear subs have sunk in the past:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ear_submarines

I assume at least some are leaking already, eventually they all will. ..]

This National Geographic story downplays their risk.

National Geographic: Sunken Nuclear Subs -- Radiation Risk?

"..While this would seem dire (sunken subs and reactors), experts say the chances of harmful radiation leaks are slim...

Most agree that a more immediate and dangerous threat than reactors on the seafloor is reactors in inactive submarines docked in Russia. Dozens of subs with radioactive fuel are deteriorating in port, and the Russian government cannot afford to dispose of them..."

Old 02-08-2017, 10:12 PM

Default any updates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
This National Geographic story downplays their risk.

National Geographic: Sunken Nuclear Subs -- Radiation Risk?

"..While this would seem dire (sunken subs and reactors), experts say the chances of harmful radiation leaks are slim...

Most agree that a more immediate and dangerous threat than reactors on the seafloor is reactors in inactive submarines docked in Russia. Dozens of subs with radioactive fuel are deteriorating in port, and the Russian government cannot afford to dispose of them..."
Ever since National Geographic got bought out... (taken over) I find its validity doubtful.

It would be nice to get some updates on whats going on in the Pacific now that the Fukushima reactor has pretty much completely melted down and the radiation levels are skyrocketing there.

Its really counterintuitive to believe that this isn't going to reach the west coast or that it will have little effect on the US.

I wonder if fisherman or crabbers have noticed anything unusual in the catch? Would that be a good way to tell?
etc...
thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or