U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 09:18 PM

18,617 posts, read 23,447,942 times

Advertisements

Yeah, people have done that (had fish tested privately). . Nothing, as far as I know.

I'm pretty sure that if there were a legit source out there, it would be all over the Internet....not all news is contaminated, and not everything is a conspiracy. I wasn't really expecting anything, AA but you did state that you would find sources. You couldn't because they aren't there.

We should all be concerned about what this could do to our food supply, but I don't see the point in posting false information as a way to try to prove some kind of wild accusation.

All I can say is that if you think it might pose a health risk to you, don't eat it.

My only residual interest in this thread is whether the OP really believes that the territory is going to be invaded by a pack of radioactive Hawaiians.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 10-07-2013 at 09:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 10:29 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,079,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawknest View Post
Actually I didn't post anything different than here. It was a question to the Hawaiians. If they want stick their heads in the sand - let 'em. When that current swings back their way, I hope the Alaskans have the good sense to not let them land on your shores. I've been in contact with our officials and they are on top of it. If nothing happens, nothing happens.

But, if something does - it wasn't like you weren't informed...........
lol, what do you want the state of Alaska to do, wave a magic wand to keep ocean currents and debris off the shores? Seafood is already being regularly tested and the radiation plume is being tracked. Unless you have a super secret video game sci-fi radiation zapper to deploy into the ocean, the situation is what it is. It's unlikely to be a major health concern for Alaskans even if things were to escalate; as others have pointed out, there are more substantive radiation exposures for the average person than the diluted amount that will make it all the way from Fukushima to Alaska.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:57 PM

18,617 posts, read 23,447,942 times
Quote:
It was a question to the Hawaiians. If they want stick their heads in the sand - let 'em. When that current swings back their way, I hope the Alaskans have the good sense to not let them land on your shores.
I took this to mean that he hopes that Alaskans don't let the fleeing Hawaiians land on their shores. He makes an allusion to this sort of thing in a previous thread.

Quote:
The Hawaiians will not set foot on our territorial soil here, I can guarantee you that.
He seems to have the situation in the Yukon Territories covered.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:02 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,079,643 times
Do you think he's aware that both Alaska and Hawaii are part of the US?

Old 10-08-2013, 12:09 AM

5,348 posts, read 3,755,531 times
There are several types of radiation to be aware of ,alpha beta and gama .
The problem is accumulation and the continued leakage happening at Fukashima.
if it were only an explosion that's one thing but the fuel rods are still a threat and the concrete is cracked and leaking contaminated water into the ocean .
News sources are keeping it quiet but people that live in the area are reporting what's going on.
Readings across the lower 48 are in the 20s up the 40s all the way to Florida. 15 is considered hi.
Not only that it is the trailing end of the storms that drop the alpha being a very lite particle.
Here in southern Calif,, my friend's Geiger counter reads 9-12. My own Geiger counter is not sensitive enough ,my own poor choice of investment.
Point is with other nuclear plants and those still in jeopardy there and long the coast and around the country.
Even radon in the ground is reason enough to have the right tools and know how to use them.
Some stainless steel tissue boxes ordered by bed bath and beyond, came from Europe that had to be recalled because they tested significant radiation.
Radiation can be present in any thing ,once exposed it remains permanently.
Even radiation test samples can be dangerous if put in a pocket or left in a container .The radio active power will migrate into the material.
This is not hear say.
The shrimp at Japan are eaten by the tuna and other fish that travel the Pacific .
So long as contaminated water is draining into the Pacific, the shrimp are being poisoned as well as the fish eating them, an the mammals eating them.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:31 AM

15,312 posts, read 24,088,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
if it were only an explosion that's one thing but the fuel rods are still a threat and the concrete is cracked and leaking contaminated water into the ocean .
News sources are keeping it quiet but people that live in the area are reporting what's going on.
Readings across the lower 48 are in the 20s up the 40s all the way to Florida. 15 is considered hi.
Not only that it is the trailing end of the storms that drop the alpha being a very lite particle.
Here in southern Calif,, my friend's Geiger counter reads 9-12. My own Geiger counter is not sensitive enough ,my own poor choice of investment.
Point is with other nuclear plants and those still in jeopardy there and long the coast and around the country.
Even radon in the ground is reason enough to have the right tools and know how to use them.
Some stainless steel tissue boxes ordered by bed bath and beyond, came from Europe that had to be recalled because they tested significant radiation.
Even radiation test samples can be dangerous if put in a pocket or left in a container .The radio active power will migrate into the material.
This is not hear say.
The shrimp at Japan are eaten by the tuna and other fish that travel the Pacific .
So long as contaminated water is draining into the Pacific, the shrimp are being poisoned as well as the fish eating them, an the mammals eating them.
I would worry more about the state of our economy than nuclear tuna.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:08 AM

15,567 posts, read 32,365,094 times
You can tuna piano...but you can't tuna fish! In Alaska...

Spoiler
I kill me!

Old 10-08-2013, 05:35 AM

6,381 posts, read 11,031,396 times
Quote:
This is not hear say.
The sky may be falling, but I am much more worried about a terrorist group setting a nuke off in a port like New York City or Los Angles... The ensuing exchange will make the leakage coming from Japan childs play....

Old 10-08-2013, 05:45 AM

6,381 posts, read 11,031,396 times
Quote:
There is a site called the radiation network, I believe, that is tracking radiation across the country . these are private individuals not government doing this on their own.
If you buy a giger counter that uses a disk, not a tube ,it will be sensitive enough to pick up the radiation in food .
I don't have all the answers but if you study up on the different manufacturers you will learn volumes, including how to hook up with the network.
the government shut down the collage sites along the coast 2011.last readings.
the good giger counters run about $500. ,lesser ones run about $200. roughly
Mine is not as sensitive as I should have invested, big mistake.
Prices have gone down to normal again , not likely to go much lower, due to demand.
Don't drag your feet though.

You do realize that if you get an average giger counter, you can read the natural levels of radiation that are part of the eco system? By getting a newer fancer one, you just get more readings after a certian point and have found nothing outside of "Normal".

If you have above normal readings on an "Older" unit, then you are finding levels that are higher and may be above the normal readible background levels.

If you barely hear a noise, and get an amp to increase the noise, it is still the same noise at that level, just louder in your ears.

Getting a more sensitive Giger Counter won't make it more dangerous, the background levels are still the same.

But if you wish to have the "Sky is falling" view, so be it.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:44 AM

111 posts, read 165,916 times
It's a Geiger-Muller counter - named after two guys who invented it - Hans Geiger and Walther Muller in early 1900's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska