Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 01:44 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,564,539 times

Advertisements

For Decades in the South Pacific, the Government blew up a lot of Nuclear bombs that put out a lot more radiation that the leaks out from Japan...

Godzilla has yet to show up for real.

It seems that the Salt water has some Neutralizing action as does Bouron on radiation, during a meltdown, they flood a melting reactor with it, it slows down the reaction of the radiation in some way. It was discribed in detail sometime back in a special about the bomb blast areas, no radiation above what is normal was found in the ocean, but there was readable radiation in small levels on the land where it was siting static.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 07:56 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,095,198 times
Fukushima's radioactive ocean plume due to reach US waters in 2014 - NBC News.com

Per this report the radiation has yet to actually hit the coasts.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:44 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
That doesn't have a lot to do with this discussion. Salmon are migratory, which is why there has been concern that they may have been affected by the initial disaster.

Still waiting on legit sources to the claim that Alaska salmon has already been found to be contaminated.

The Op also posted some alarmist bs in the Hawaii forum.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:16 PM

324 posts, read 714,267 times
The runs were down in 2012:

Alaska Salmon: Governor Parnell Seeks Federal Disaster Aid For Weak Fish Runs

Biologists look to ocean for clues in Alaska king salmon collapse | Alaska Dispatch

Decline in king salmon is rooted in the sea, Alaska state biologists say | Environment | McClatchy DC

Phyto plankton near the powerplant have expotentially grown - salmon eat fish that eat the plankton

Old 10-07-2013, 05:18 PM

324 posts, read 714,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Fukushima's radioactive ocean plume due to reach US waters in 2014 - NBC News.com

Per this report the radiation has yet to actually hit the coasts.
In nearly two years since the accident, the water column is upon us.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:30 PM

111 posts, read 243,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawknest View Post
I seem to remember in Minimata, Japan - residents were told the mercury in the oyster beds wasn't a problem. Thousands died of mercury poisoning. Their govt did nothing - just ignored it for years. I would lean on the side of caution.
I lived and worked in the English River chain of lakes in Ontario while Reed Paper dumped 10T (each day) of mercury into the waterways for more than a decade, before they got caught. Our family suffered from the effects similar to Minimata disease. My cousin was written up in the local papers are having more than 50 times the limit of mercury in his body. He suffered needlessly, while the Canadian Fed Govt sat on their hands.

Last year we fished off Sitka for kings, only to have the season shutdown early. We were picking up Japanese nets and glass ball floats nearly every day. I never thought about it much, until I saw this thread. We still have some floats onboard and when I get to port I'll have them checked.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:37 PM

The runs fluctuate for various reasons, but "off" years are just part of the cycle. Not every year is a record year. It was actually predicted before the disaster in Japan that the king runs would be down in the years you mentioned. The culprit is most likely illegal deep sea trawling.

They bounced back pretty damn good this year, though. Again, Alaska just had a record breaking salmon year.

I have yet to see anything legit from you about your claim that Alaska salmon has been found to be contaminated.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
For Decades in the South Pacific, the Government blew up a lot of Nuclear bombs that put out a lot more radiation that the leaks out from Japan...
Bikini Atoll is still considered dangerous - 50 years after the last test was conducted, which is why they don't let anyone live there. They moved the indigenous population and won't let them go back. The levels of Strontium-90 are still very high.

So much for that argument.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I have yet to see anything legit from you about your claim that Alaska salmon has been found to be contaminated.
Well I'm not returning next year - I'm not going to risk my boat and crew - or be blamed for passing it on to consumers. I can work the Atlantic for swordies and the southern oceans for tuna, after I change out my gear.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider42 View Post
Well I'm not returning next year - I'm not going to risk my boat and crew - or be blamed for passing it on to consumers. I can work the Atlantic for swordies and the southern oceans for tuna, after I change out my gear.
Good for you. Are you a Canadian citizen, by the way? Is your vessel registered in Canada?

The sentence that you quoted was directed at the OP; not at you.

Kings are generally an incidental catch, btw, so I'm tending to doubt your story, sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska