Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 02:16 PM

1,132 posts, read 2,113,364 times

Advertisements

I know it sounds like a crazy question, but I am really interested. I would like to visit AK (including Barrow) in 2009. I live on the Texas Gulf Coast, and our "COLD" here is 45 degrees! Yes, I know its laughable. So, what does 0 feel like? Does 20 or 30 below actually feel colder than zero?

BTW, We are past mid November now, and my AC runs all day. Temps still near 90!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 02:21 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,641,516 times
If your jogging it hurts to breath sucking in that cold air. Your eyelashes freeze when you blink, your hands hurt if you grab an exterior door knob with no gloves, wearing glasses will make your ears cold real fast. It's quite easy to dress for the occasion tho. And drink plenty of water. In the extreme cold and dryness up here, you can dehydrate quickly just from breathing alone.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:00 PM

77 posts, read 251,469 times
Just try visiting in MN or northern WI during February....it gets pretty cold up here if you just want to "feel the cold."
I remember one winter we had school called off because the windchill was reaching -80 f.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:14 PM

21,368 posts, read 37,903,237 times
Tshirt weather there Tessa:P

Old 11-19-2007, 05:24 PM

77 posts, read 251,469 times
T-shirt weather? Can I flick your nipples off then? Har har

Old 11-19-2007, 05:25 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,036,432 times
I've got some friends in Texas, they delight in telling me they are basking in the 70 and 80 degree fall days while I send them pictures of new snowfall.

At zero, it's just uncomfortably cold if you're not dressed appropriately. True, many will become acclimated somewhat more to the cold when they've been here for a while, but that usually can be attributed to changes in lifestyle such as raising their temperature regulatory functions in their body by increasing calorie intake to address how much more energy is consumed just to keep warm.

At 20 or 30 below, it's gone well beyond being just uncomfortable and without preperations it's very dangerous to take chances exposing the human body to exposure to those conditions. You dress accordingly but any chance mishap, at worst, can turn life threatening very quickly, or at the least, bodily injury is very easy to sustain.

From freezing to zero degrees, you will see people dressed appropriately, out for recreational purposes. 20 and 30 below, most everybody will only venture out if they cannot, for some reason, avoid it.

What's it like? How's it feel? Like nothing you'll see in South Texas. When my friends from South Texas come visiting in the summer, they tell me they are 'cold' when it drops below 60. On our hottest days, they tell me how cool and refreshing it is.

Though I encourage them to, they've never carried through on their saying they want to come visit in the winter.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:30 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,160,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessa_marie View Post
Just try visiting in MN or northern WI during February....it gets pretty cold up here if you just want to "feel the cold."
I remember one winter we had school called off because the windchill was reaching -80 f.

yup, same goes here in northern Michigan.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:15 PM

1,132 posts, read 2,113,364 times
Thank all of yall. User 2 is right. Below 60 people start complaining, and at 45 some start to freak out. The 40's last only a day or two, then it warms right up again. We do have 4 seasons, though. Summer lasts from March through November, December is fall, January is our 45 degree winter, and February is spring. Our 9 month summer begins again in March.

I want to see Alaska (including Barrow) and see a little bit of cold. It would be quite a novelty, I'm sure.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:27 PM

2,519 posts, read 6,990,128 times
If you go outside on an absolutely calm day at -60, your breath will catch in your throat. You have to get used to breathing it. You feel your nose hairs freeze when you breath. Your mustache or beard becomes quickly caked in ice. Your eyelashes stick together,

You can throw a cup of hot coffee in the air and it will freeze before it hits the ground. Here is a
video of something like it in Fairbanks.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:40 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,781,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southeasttexas View Post
What is the cold like?
well, your nose will run a bunch, and the cough will get on everyone's nerves around you. the fever isn't that bad, nyquil helps, the geltabs are great.
take zinc daily before winter, it helps a bunch.

...just messing with ya, no offense meant....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska