Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 09:01 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,948,193 times

Advertisements

If I were to move to Alaska from the lower 48, would I need to have a passport? Do I need a secondary special passport to enter Alaska, or do I not need one at all because it's technically part of the United States? Is it true that persons moving to Alaska receive $5,000 in cash at the Alaskan border?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 09:07 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Yes, all of this is the truth. Be sure to tell them at the passport office that you will need a special Alaskan passport -- without it, you won't get your 5K.

They won't hand you cash at the border, however. This would just create a situation where border patrols would become targets of crime due to having large amounts of cash in their stations. They will stamp your passport and issue you the necessary paperwork for getting your 5K. You'll need to set up an account with an Alaskan bank, though, and you'll receive your 5K in Alaskan currency via direct deposit.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-23-2013 at 10:15 PM..

Old 11-23-2013, 09:15 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
It you are a US Resident/Citizen and Fly or take a Ferry from Washington State in to Alaska you do not need a passport. It isn't technically part of the US, it IS part of the US. Just the same as PA is part of the US.

If you drive, there is currently no way to drive and stay in the US, you must at one point enter Canada. You will need a passport to enter Canada and you need to read up on their laws/rules. There are certain things you can't bring in, like most handguns, etc... Canada is its own country. For example, Fuel is sold in liters, money is in Canadian Dollars, and speed limits are in Kilometers Per Hour.

If they are giving out $5k at the border when I last went, I must have missed that part. There is a splitting of the oil royalties every year for AK Citizens, but you are not eligible until you have been an Alaskan resident for a year and you don't get it until the following year. If you time it just right you might only wait 2 years to get it. There are strict rules for it as well. IIRC, this year it was still under $1,000 per person. You can't live on it and from my own research it just helps to make up for that fact that the cost of living is more expensive in AK than most other places are.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:48 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,612,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
If I were to move to Alaska from the lower 48, would I need to have a passport? Do I need a secondary special passport to enter Alaska, or do I not need one at all because it's technically part of the United States? Is it true that persons moving to Alaska receive $5,000 in cash at the Alaskan border?
Forgive me for being direct... but you are either an idiot or a troll.

Alaska is not just "technically" part of the US. It IS part of the US. It's just as much of a state as the other 49. Yes, if you are driving up, you'll need your passport for Canada. But obliviously that's because Canada is a separate country.
As far as the $5,000... Either you are surrounded by idiots giving you bad information, or you are incredibly gullible.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:00 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,860,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
Alaska just recently merged with the Yukon, Northwest, and Nunavut Territories and have formed a new country. We will be closing the borders to all new comers in 24 hours. The only ones allowed in after that are the ones Rance and Met allow.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:33 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,927,062 times
You can't drive to Alaska because it's an island off the coast of Arizona . I've seen the map. But if Arizona is so warm in the summer, how does everybody in Alaska keep their igloos from melting?

Old 11-24-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
You can't drive to Alaska because it's an island off the coast of Arizona . I've seen the map. But if Arizona is so warm in the summer, how does everybody in Alaska keep their igloos from melting?

Dang! If I knew that Hawaii was so close I would have been going there in my boat. I've been missing out all these years. Hey, yeah, if we are near Arizona and Hawaii why is it -3 here in Bethel this morning?!

Old 11-24-2013, 11:50 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
Dang! If I knew that Hawaii was so close I would have been going there in my boat. I've been missing out all these years. Hey, yeah, if we are near Arizona and Hawaii why is it -3 here in Bethel this morning?!

I am not sure if you travel by boat that you get the $5,000.

That currency was based on a 'land grab' scenario, and was developed in concert with the Yukon, Nunavut and Northwest Territories, meaning that if you travel by boat you are ineligible for 'land' based currencies. It is a tricky thing which was partially developed to avoid having the Russians travel over the 'land' bridge' from Siberia, which can't actually be traversed any longer except by air plane (and sometimes by sled dog if it gets VERY cold).

So, be careful how you enter the island, and don't miss the opportunity to get the $5,000.

And yes, under the new scheme, I think you need a passport when you disembark from your vehicle. I think the Royal Canadians (mounted) demand it, at least for the Yukon part of the new territory.

The bigger question, with all the new developments in what was formerly the State of Alaska, is whether the new currency is a better deal than Bitcoins? I am not sure you can use the currency outside of the three new states (plus Alaska), but it does come in physical form (have you seen the coins with the Igloos on them? ( I think the cooler company in part sponsored that just to get their name out there, and also might have something to do with the $5,000 as they are trying to entice people into the new territory and encourage the use of Igloo Coolers until refrigeration can be established).

It is all very new, and hard to find info, To the OP, good luck on your journey. Take warm clothing once you leave Arizona, but I think the cooler will be provided once you get out of your vehicle. Spend your $5,000 wisely...I hear there are more than a few shills who will give you misinformation about what is really going on.

Old 11-24-2013, 01:02 PM

When did we change to hard currency? I have been using beaver pelts and beads.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:24 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,948,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
Forgive me for being direct... but you are either an idiot or a troll.

Alaska is not just "technically" part of the US. It IS part of the US. It's just as much of a state as the other 49. Yes, if you are driving up, you'll need your passport for Canada. But obliviously that's because Canada is a separate country.
As far as the $5,000... Either you are surrounded by idiots giving you bad information, or you are incredibly gullible.
I'm thinking that things may have changed since you moved to Alaska, because I've been told that Alaska now has border agents and that they do in fact give you $5,000 if you're moving there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska