U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2013, 07:56 AM

6,381 posts, read 11,962,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Yeah, me too. Sorry I bothered trying to make a joke here.

I sincerely feel sorry for anyone who comes to this place seeking information about relocating.

I miss the old Alaska -- you know, the place where people didn't get all bent up about being asked for a simple favor. Anyone remember that place?

I didn't think so.
There is still a lot of Alaska like that left, you just don't plan on finding it in the bigger towns as a rule anymore.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 12:02 PM

305 posts, read 549,889 times
When you were up here why didn't you stay and look for winter work?

Old 11-05-2013, 12:11 PM

228 posts, read 237,836 times
I know you were here in Sitka--swung by the board at the grocery store yesterday, nothing going on here.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:45 PM

127 posts, read 161,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I'll get right on that, buddy.
He wants people to physically go to where advertisements are posted in their communities and look for jobs for him.
BINGO!! Thanks for solving that for the groups, it was truly a group effort lol. But yes i wanted to know if you guys could physically stop and take a look of a cell pic of the post board. In all honesty if people want the jobs that bad they will make their way up there like i do for work. That's nothing new but being it is 2013 and all it would be nice to see the post boards everyday like when your up there for work. When i'm home i can't get that info and the grasp of whats going on. So it would be nice if u guys could help all the fisherman looking for work by posting on the FB page the was brought up earlier. For all the guys and girls that really want to work and get back up there and live life as a deckhand. Thx for all the looks and help on this one guy.

Last edited by gsxboy99; 11-06-2013 at 04:55 PM..

Old 03-02-2014, 12:22 PM

1 posts, read 753 times
did you get anyleads

Old 03-06-2014, 03:02 PM

touching base in here. still alive and kicking. you guys know the deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Harrier's first thought was that he must be a liberal, but that can't be, because the guy does want to work.
Haha I'm no government nipple sucking liby, i'm a red,white, and blue blooded Patriot!!!!! I stomp libys like the docks, with my nasty tufs on. And u bet i want to work. I'm getting married next week and i needs the work and i miss Alaska and dieing to get back up there. I'm thinking about the north Atlantic scene over here but i love the northwest fleet and how everyone migrants up there for a common reason of working for the family's.

Quote:
Yeah, me too. Sorry I bothered trying to make a joke here.

I sincerely feel sorry for anyone who comes to this place seeking information about relocating.

I miss the old Alaska -- you know, the place where people didn't get all bent up about being asked for a simple favor. Anyone remember that place?

I didn't think so.

This is why i only come one here everyone now and then i don;t like to get to caught up in the online exchange. I'm just here to help ppl if they need it and ask ppl for certain info. I know who is helpful and who not and who's having a good joke with themselves. An i love that Alaska your talking about, it's still there. i found it when i was up there so it's still alive. Ppl still offer helpful ride from the airport to the docks, ppl i met would come to the docks and see us off as we left the ports, ppl still tell you the time, it's still Alaska my friend. That's what i want to go back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidelines View Post
When you were up here why didn't you stay and look for winter work?

I did when i got off the tender i worked at SPC doing slave labor for the "white man" lol. I love working and traveling to and from ak for work. I still have something to do back here in ny like getting married to my wife for one. fix my motorcycle so i can ride it where i want to be, and i had a few other things going on i had to come back for after the season. For now I like the seasonal work till my life settles down a lil then i will where about where to stay and look for steady work. IF you followed me on here you'd know that i started this deckhand adventure because work here in ny was slow and i wanted to start a new path for myself. and i did it all by myself with help from others and i loved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rntim View Post
I know you were here in Sitka--swung by the board at the grocery store yesterday, nothing going on here.
thx!!

Old 03-06-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose82 View Post
did you get anyleads

here and there but it's hare to getting the heart beat on the fisheries from here. It takes a lot of searching for me to get accurate info about times and dates, opening and closings. Where and when are the boats gonna be, u know all that. But i'm working on it.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:19 AM

228 posts, read 237,836 times
Herring season is coming up here in Sitka--season didn't last long last year but I'll watch the boards at the grocery stores and let ya know if anything comes up!

Old 03-11-2014, 01:30 AM

1,316 posts, read 942,793 times
Quote:
I used to physically pass by the local job board at least once throughout the course of a normal day. It wouldn't have been any big deal to me to pass on a phone number.
I'm really sad that most people on this thread don't realize that's how things in fishing towns (used to?) work.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:31 AM

1,316 posts, read 942,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Harrier's first thought was that he must be a liberal, but that can't be, because the guy does want to work.
Jesus Christ. Really? These glimpses into the minds of people like you are truly appalling in their simplicity. This or that. Black or white. With or against. Good or bad. Like Me or Not Like Me. The ONLY OPTIONS that exist, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or