U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-05-2013, 04:28 PM
 
Location: Naptowne, Alaska
15,596 posts, read 34,641,725 times
Reputation: 14657

Advertisements

Say it isn't so...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-17-2013, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles County, CA
29,125 posts, read 21,276,123 times
Reputation: 6128
Isn't it easier to make "kewl things out of ivory"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2013, 12:21 AM
 
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
17,850 posts, read 19,682,438 times
Reputation: 6480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
He's always encouraging people just to show up in Alaska without a job lined up first.
I did not have a job lined up before I moved to Alaska. Of course I was not looking for work when I arrived in Alaska either. I had completely different plans then. However, Plan A did not pan out. As a result of Plan B, I sought work and a place to live.

I also had sufficient funds so that if Plan B did not pan out, I had a Plan C - move to another State.

Thankfully, Plan B proved to be much more effective than my Plan A, and therefore Plan C was never necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2013, 12:43 AM
 
20,512 posts, read 26,670,628 times
Reputation: 13254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I did not have a job lined up before I moved to Alaska. Of course I was not looking for work when I arrived in Alaska either. I had completely different plans then. However, Plan A did not pan out. As a result of Plan B, I sought work and a place to live.

I also had sufficient funds so that if Plan B did not pan out, I had a Plan C - move to another State.

Thankfully, Plan B proved to be much more effective than my Plan A, and therefore Plan C was never necessary.
Yeah, I'm familiar with your story. Doesn't seem like you were showing up with no money in your pocket or no real job skills ...over the course of the years, I've seen too many people show up unprepared without even a coherent Plan A. SE gets a bit more people showing up on spec. because it's a cheap ferry ride. In fact, one of the main things I noticed when I first moved to Talkeetna in the Stone Age was the complete lack of transients as compared to Ketchikan. Ketch. and other parts of SE have traditionally been

The Internet has changed things so much since I was younger. These days, it's easier to research employment and housing options. Any young person who really wants to experience Alaska but needs to work while doing so can easily find a seasonal job through online resources. There are so many ways that people can maximize their chances of success that I don't see the point in not being prepared.

This MM guy makes it seem like the pipeline days are still here, but they've been over for a long time. There's still room for adventure, I think, but not much room for idiocy. I recall being in Ketchikan's famed Arctic Bar years ago during the month of November when a guy just off the ferry announced that he was seeking work on a fishing boat and that the only reason he had come to this "goddamned place" was to get rich. Uh, yeah, that probably worked out real well for him. He didn't even arrive in AK at the right time of year to get a job and then made a public statement that he should have held back with.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-18-2013 at 01:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2013, 01:05 AM
 
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
17,850 posts, read 19,682,438 times
Reputation: 6480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Yeah, I'm familiar with your story. Doesn't seem like you were showing up with no money in your pocket or no real job skills ...over the course of the years, I've seen too many people show up unprepared without even a coherent Plan A. SE gets a bit more people showing up on spec. because it's a cheap ferry ride. In fact, one of the main things I noticed when I first moved to Talkeetna in the Stone Age was the complete lack of transients as compared to Ketchikan.

The Internet has changed things so much since I was younger. These days, it's easier to research employment and housing options. Any young person who really wants to experience Alaska but needs to work while doing so can easily find a seasonal job through online resources.

This MM guy makes it seem like the pipeline days are still here, but they've been over for a long time. There's still room for adventure, I think, but not much room for idiocy. I recall being in Ketchikan's famed Arctic Bar years ago during the month of November when a guy just off the ferry announced that he was seeking work on a fishing boat and that the only reason he had come to this "goddamned place" was to get rich. Uh, yeah, that probably worked out real well for him.
In a place like Alaska there is never much room for idiocy. I have no problem with people like Timothy Tredwell or Chris McCandless. They paid the ultimate price for their stupidity. However, I do have a problem with the idiots who worship the ground that they walk on, as if becoming terminally stupid is a goal worth achieving.

If the purpose of moving to Alaska is to get a job and find a place to live, then they should definitely find that job and place to live before they move to Alaska. As you say, with the resources available today that is not a difficult task.

Regardless of why they move to Alaska, they should have sufficient funds to support themselves for several months (six months minimum), and have an alternative plan in case things do not go as they expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2013, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles County, CA
29,125 posts, read 21,276,123 times
Reputation: 6128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
In a place like Alaska there is never much room for idiocy. I have no problem with people like Timothy Tredwell or Chris McCandless. They paid the ultimate price for their stupidity. However, I do have a problem with the idiots who worship the ground that they walk on, as if becoming terminally stupid is a goal worth achieving.
Based on the general opinion of Alaskans concerning McCandless and Treadwell, you just contradicted yourself within one paragraph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2013, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Interior alaska
6,381 posts, read 11,984,424 times
Reputation: 3470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Based on the general opinion of Alaskans concerning McCandless and Treadwell, you just contradicted yourself within one paragraph.
He is referring to "Copt cat stupidity", which seems to run rampant. These folks have no drive to do their own adventure, they go and follow ones that clearly didn't work out the first time for others, and a high number of them died and/or had to be rescued.

Most people here got his meaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2013, 03:09 PM
 
4,718 posts, read 8,727,101 times
Reputation: 2153
I knew what he meant... and I agree with it.

Depending on your current situation, I can agree with the 6 months of survivability funds and funds to get you back. I'll give an example.

In college or just out of highschool, no spouse, kids, or current job. Let's throw in current job outlook where you are is grim. But you have enough to $ to get to/from AK. This should/could be where the seasonal job ahead of time would be a good idea. Even if it isn't - there is not alot to lose if AK is on your mind to try. Transferring to go to school in AK is also an option... Fairly low risk to try it out. Again, you still can't be 'stupid' about your adventure either.

Opposite extreme, you have a spouse, kids, and a job that won't transfer. Here is where you have a lot to lose by going up on a whim and winging it. That could end up being much worse than what you have. AND you have other people that rely on you to survive.

Alot also depends on the support system you have where you are. Do you have family and friends that help you out or are you all alone where you currently live?

I'm not advocating not doing your research and having a Plan A, B, and/or C, in addition to a get out of AK plan... However, those plans for some may be really involved and for others may be nothing more than enough money for a plane ticket back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2013, 03:13 PM
 
20,512 posts, read 26,670,628 times
Reputation: 13254
People getting stuck in Alaska is so common that the state used to have a fund to supply travel money back to wherever home is for people who couldn't otherwise get back. They don't have that fund anymore due to budget cuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2013, 03:47 AM
 
17 posts, read 25,354 times
Reputation: 15
Default +1 Rance

"Some people just need a high five. In the face. With a chair."

Don't always agree with your posts, (says the guy that reads for years and hardly posts), but that's just too funny!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top