U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 09:31 PM

20,493 posts, read 26,647,832 times

Advertisements

You sound loopy. Perhaps you should stay in California.

Sigh. We used to attract interesting trolls here, but this new crop isn't measuring up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 09:42 PM

64 posts, read 82,749 times
My father taught at UAF for 40 years, and I grew up on the campus. UAF is more of a "real" university (as opposed to a community college) and is known for its mining engineering and earth sciences. The humanities there are pretty decent, but nothing earth shaking. There's really not much high tech worth speaking of. It's a natural resources and tourism based economy, and that's what you'll find there.

If you're tired of the Bay Area, Portland OR may be for you. Their high tech sector is pretty well developed, and it's a very laidback place close to lots of nature. And much warmer in the winter.

People who enjoy living in Alaska have very specific psychological traits that allow them to live through the brutal winters. You might want to experience winter there, first, and see if are the kind of person who could really thrive there.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:46 PM

5 posts, read 7,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
You sound loopy. Perhaps you should stay in California.

Sigh. We used to attract interesting trolls here, but this new crop isn't measuring up.
Loopy but harmless - as for you, perhaps CA needs to take your computer and internet away. Y'know, help you get back in touch with that calm, serene Alaskan wilderness. It seems like being online all day isn't helping ya much.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:52 PM

20,493 posts, read 26,647,832 times
How odd that you think that CA could take my Internet and computer away. Perhaps you're worse off than I thought.

Seriously, you sound like you're right where you belong. You don't seem mature enough to be on your own in Alaska. I'm guessing that your parents are willing to pay the out-of-state tuition just to dislodge you from their basement, and understanding why you need a noncompetitive school is no stretch.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-14-2013 at 10:52 PM..

Old 11-14-2013, 11:10 PM

2,561 posts, read 3,951,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora031 View Post
Don't hurt your head trying to fathom a reason with little information
Wow... just a couple of posts in and already you are going out of your way insult someone who is trying to help you... That sort of attitude in Alaska is not going to get you very far. Perhaps you should consider another area to move to.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:18 AM

4,005 posts, read 2,995,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora031 View Post
Loopy but harmless - as for you, perhaps CA needs to take your computer and internet away. Y'know, help you get back in touch with that calm, serene Alaskan wilderness. It seems like being online all day isn't helping ya much.
There are people, myself included, who work for the UA system here.

When I read the OP, I was inclined to offer some assistance. When I read on and got to these kinds of posts, I changed my mind.

One thing you should know about Alaska if you choose to move here is that for such a large state, it's a very small state. Particularly within certain fields, folks tend to have very few degrees of separation. If you do choose to move here, you will probably want to work on your interpersonal skills, as if you develop a negative reputation, it's difficult to escape it.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:12 PM

29,125 posts, read 21,252,986 times
Ilisagvik College.

http://www.ilisagvik.edu/

Old 11-16-2013, 11:25 PM

29,125 posts, read 21,252,986 times
Ah - you want to study in an IT related major.

Why not complete your education in California(yes Harrier knows that the state is suboptimal thanks to the Democrats, but suck it up and earn your degree)?

Besides, despite Democrat tuition increases(of which college students who most likely voted for President Obama always complain about - oh the irony) a California community college/CSU/UC education still remains the best value available in the republic.

Then you can take your education and skills to Alaska.

Harrier thinks that you will be more in demand in Anchorage or Fairbanks.

Like it or not, working in an IT position practically requires being in an urban environment.

There are a lot of good reasons to leave California, but if you just want to get away from city life then (a) you don't have to leave California - let alone move to Alaska, and (b) you should consider being educated in another discipline.

Last edited by Harrier; 11-16-2013 at 11:35 PM..

Old 11-20-2013, 06:12 PM

62 posts, read 192,388 times
@lellenn, I heard UAF was the most academically rigorous of the bunch. I was just curious about the tech environment in general. Don't really care if it's big or powerful, since I'd like to bring some of the skill and knowledge from the Bay to where ever I choose to settle. As long as there is interest in technology, then it's enough for me

I have heard UAF is more rigorous, however no Alaskan college is ranked very highly when compared with other colleges in this country. My ex husband had all of his HS friends go to UAF. I do know that their Accounting program is better than UAA as their Accounting department is separately AACSB accredited whereas UAA's program is just included in their overall AACSB accreditation for the Business program (not IT, but just an example) I worked for 3 years at the UAA Nursing program and I believe that's a decent program, but I know nothing of the IT/Computer programs at any UA school. As far as the tech environment in AK I think it's pretty non existent. There aren't any companies here doing the kinds of things you find in other areas like Silicon Valley. There are IT "weenies" running around doing tech work for various companies of course, but it's all pretty run of the mill stuff I imagine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska