Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 01:15 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,861,253 times

Advertisements

A Petersburg high school student has a drone video recording system and he's gotten pretty good at running it.

Use the link it's better in full screen.

Impeller Fellers: Jetting Without a Cause - YouTube

Impeller Fellers: Jetting Without a Cause - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 05:15 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
I wonder what the Alaska Department of Fish & Game has to say about using drones for hunting.

It could be very advantageous during the short 20-day moose season. Particularly for guides who want to ensure their client gets an opportunity to take a shot.

On the surface, however, that just seems wrong. When you think about it though, we use tools now to hunt and fish. Is not a drone just another tool?

Old 01-07-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I wonder what the Alaska Department of Fish & Game has to say about using drones for hunting.

It could be very advantageous during the short 20-day moose season. Particularly for guides who want to ensure their client gets an opportunity to take a shot.

On the surface, however, that just seems wrong. When you think about it though, we use tools now to hunt and fish. Is not a drone just another tool?
I wonder if it would fall under hunting the same day as flying?

Old 01-07-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
I wonder if it would fall under hunting the same day as flying?
Since the operator never leaves the ground, I think they may have difficulty making that argument stick. The drone operator may not even be the one hunting, such as a guide.

On one hand, intellectually speaking, I do not see how it as any different than using a powerful scope on a rifle. The difference a drone gives a hunter that a scope does not, is the advantage of elevation and mobility.

On the other hand, it just does not seem like hunting to me. I realize that actually learning about your quarry's behavior, eating habits, and how to track them seems traditionally old-fashioned. It is an emotional response in me that thinks it is wrong.

If the ADF&G were to ban the use of drones for hunting purposes, I certainly would not be broken up about it, but is it the right thing to do? The intent behind the same-day fly-in ban was to prevent hunters from spotting their targets in the air, land, and then shoot their quarry. In that sense, drones do violate the intent behind the law, but since no one was actually flying it does not violate the letter of the law.

ADF&G definitely needs to take a position, one way or the other, concerning drones. Because absent a decision, drones will be used. They are becoming cheaper by the day.

Last edited by Glitch; 01-07-2014 at 05:41 PM..

Old 01-07-2014, 05:42 PM

I would bet the Dept of F&G has something planned for "drone hunting". I also don't think it would be very sporting to use drones. I would not considered it fair chase.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
I would bet the Dept of F&G has something planned for "drone hunting". I also don't think it would be very sporting to use drones. I would not considered it fair chase.
One of the first things I learned about hunting and fishing in Alaska is there are three kinds of Alaskans:
  1. Sport hunters, who are just interested in the trophy;
  2. Those who hunt and fish for food; and
  3. Those who hunt and fish for the enjoyment, as well as for the food, but that is secondary.
I fall into the latter category, as do I think you do as well judging from your post. If I do not catch my limit of Silvers on a particular day, no biggie, I just go to the store and buy my food. Even if I catch nothing, I still enjoy the stress-free morning on the water. When I do hunt and fish, I want it to be a challenge. For example, I use 4 pound test and a ultralight rod when fishing for Reds or Silvers. I want the challenge of a fight, and they give it to me on that rig.

Other Alaskans view hunting and fishing no differently than going to a grocery store to get the food they need. They often are looking for the easiest means to obtain the food they require, and I can understand that perspective. These types of Alaskans will use 10 or 20 pound test to land a Silver, or dip-nets, or fish-wheels. They are not interested in a challenge, they just want their food.

The last type of Alaskans, those only interested in trophies, I cannot comprehend.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:32 PM

I'm in agreement with all you said.

Trophy hunters and fishers do spend a lot of money, (especially the ones from the lower 48), the money they spend often helps the bush economy. Fish and Game Dept also benefits from the money spent on licenses and tag fees. The trophy hunters I see in the bush most often give most of the meat to the local villagers.

I will say that when it's time to fill the smoker with salmon we break out the 15 lb test line.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
I'm in agreement with all you said.

Trophy hunters and fishers do spend a lot of money, (especially the ones from the lower 48), the money they spend often helps the bush economy. Fish and Game Dept also benefits from the money spent on licenses and tag fees. The trophy hunters I see in the bush most often give most of the meat to the local villagers.

I will say that when it's time to fill the smoker with salmon we break out the 15 lb test line.
Very true, and I greatly appreciate the money trophy hunters and fisherman spend in Alaska. I just cannot comprehend why someone would want to shoot or catch a critter if not for food. Is not eating the critter trophy enough? Apparently not to some.

Alaska regulations requires all meat to be salvaged, and it cannot be sold. I am grateful for both laws, and if they would rather give the meat away to those who need it, instead of eating it themselves, I have no problems with it. As long as it is not wasted.

I usually do not catch enough salmon to last more than a couple months, so I will visit a few fish processing places I know near Ninilchik and buy their freshly caught Kings or Silvers for about $0.75/lbs. I do not think they are allowed to sell directly to the public like that, but I have known these people for years and they just wanted to help me out.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:00 PM

You are welcome at our campfire anytime!

Old 01-07-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
You are welcome at our campfire anytime!
Very nice, and I may take you up on that some day. By the way, you are suppose to take the picture BEFORE you drink the beer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska