U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-25-2007, 11:42 AM

3,774 posts, read 7,563,854 times

Advertisements

Only the folks tough enough live in dry cabins. I live in a house with heated floors, and 2 bathrooms (both indoor). I have a hard enough time going out in my PJ's to pick the paper off of the front porch. Otherwise, I bundle up like any other sensible person. My oldest son (22) is working on an island off of the North Slope, and his rotation is 3 on, 1 off. He enjoys his job, but is happy to come home to warm and sunny Anchorage <heh heh>. The people living in the bush are the modern day heirs to the original natives and sourdoughs. I personally take occasional walks on trails here in Anchorage, and like the Winter Festival in Fairbanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 01:52 PM

21,028 posts, read 22,511,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnyardbabe View Post
okay here goes...am sure i will get some flack over my comments but here goes...
i been reading your Alaska forums for a couple of weeks now about how you all live up there and how cold it gets and high costs of heat and dry cabins etc..etc....i do not understand how you all can be so tuff to endure the eliments youn endure such as animals,weather, haul water,the extreme cold, and of course the snow.......????

I am a tuff country gal from central Missouri and we do have 'some' winter and cold winters...but i live on a farm and heat with wood and do have running water and i do have animals to care for-inside and out.......on the zero and or teen days i really have to bundle up to go do chores and or haul wood in..i have water heaters for the animals water to keep it thawed...i THINK it can be pretty tuff here at times...i CANNOT imagine it being worse conditions like you all endure living in Alaska...i guess you don't have no inside pets?? or no outside animals to care for?? have not seen that in any of the forums...

Guess what i am saying here is with living in Alaska you stay indoors as much as possible during the winter due to cold/snow and summer due to mosqitos?? i feel i am living in paradise here compared to you all...summer we can get outside and sit on porch for hours usually without many bugs...and its usually not so cold that we can get outside in the winter and play in the snow....

Just curious about your life up there with a few questions...please don't snowball me to death on my comments....LOL...All i can say for you all is KEEP WARM !!
It gets cold here?

Old 11-25-2007, 02:18 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,163,927 times
it's only snowed once so far this year, on 11/5, right on time (last year it started on 11/5, and never stopped...). Snowed all day, then warmed up to 38 and rain. Melted it all and so far all we've had is just cold friggin rain.

Old 11-25-2007, 04:06 PM

4 posts, read 11,530 times
Smile Bob Gwin Sr. Alaska 1960-1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw View Post
So what will that do for your addition to the igloo plans?
If all your snow and ice melts will you have to let your trained Polar Bears go? I know you have been using them for hunting and pulling the extra large snow blocks for the other igloos you build up that way. Will they be able to survive after being raised from cubs and domesticated or will they join the fate of Binky?

This global warming is taking a toll on us here in the interior, not enough snow to cover the ground and with the tempatures falling this week, some peoples water and sewer line are going to freeze. The river hasn't even frozen over so the ice bridge is unusable too. But they are still building the box stores bigger and bigger!
I was in Fairbanks, from l960-1962, we had 89 degrees ABOVE ZERO in SUMMER, played baseball at Midnight, w/o lights, went to Ft. Yukon, North of Artic Circle, fought the Misquitoes, had -60 to -75 below Zero F. in Winter,
but not really that much snow. (too dry) from the Barracks 2nd story window you could toss a glass of water into the air, & it would never hit the ground, it would be absorbed by the air, (when -60 befow zero or colder) I tried it, & saw it myself, like a Magic trick. I "loved Alaska" even being from ALABAMA, but was glad to get back STATESIDE, and WARMER WEATHER.
If I went back, it would only be in the "Summer Time!" Though. Any ALASKA folks in OKLA, or Stateside, or in AK, Moderator cut: phone no

Last edited by Keeper; 05-13-2010 at 10:35 AM..

Old 11-26-2007, 01:21 AM

1,463 posts, read 2,197,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw View Post
So what will that do for your addition to the igloo plans?
If all your snow and ice melts will you have to let your trained Polar Bears go? I know you have been using them for hunting and pulling the extra large snow blocks for the other igloos you build up that way. Will they be able to survive after being raised from cubs and domesticated or will they join the fate of Binky?
Well, since I'm not sold on Al Gore's Convenient Lie, I'm going ahead with my extension plans. If I'm wrong, I might have to consider burrowing into the earth like the old timers, but since rain runoff seeks lower ground. . .

I guess I'm going to have to consider a conventional house though I'm more concerned about Mara and Mike (the polar bears). Our efforts to switch their diets to moose and caribou seem to be backfiring; now they're eyeballing the dogs! Since the river hasn't frozen yet, they haven't been able to move much snow. Mara and Mike are having a tough time of it. They keep going for a swim in the open part of the river, making it that much more difficult for it to freeze. Poor things! They're getting really warm. Do you think a poodle cut would do any good?

I was really sorry to see Binky pass on. Mara and Mike both have a supply of red tennis shoes for chew toys! I won't even contemplate them sharing the same fate as Binky. I'd rather give them the poodle cut, put a skirt on them, and teach them to prance around with an umbrella. Then perhaps they can retire to the same facility that took Maggie since it does such a good job of taking care of retired performing animals.

Please pray for snow and ice. . .

Old 11-26-2007, 11:48 AM

14,943 posts, read 25,051,891 times
The jet stream comes from the tropical southwest and brings warm moist air up into southwest AK. As this warm moist air slams headlong into the frozen tundra it dumps it's load. Often times we get a Chinook Wind (warm) that creates high winds and can cause rain in January. And then again we often get cold storms from Siberia that makes you wince when you step out the door.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:23 PM

49 posts, read 166,267 times
Snow?

Its for the children.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:23 PM

1,675 posts, read 4,396,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
Well, since I'm not sold on Al Gore's Convenient Lie, I'm going ahead with my extension plans. If I'm wrong, I might have to consider burrowing into the earth like the old timers, but since rain runoff seeks lower ground. . .

I guess I'm going to have to consider a conventional house though I'm more concerned about Mara and Mike (the polar bears). Our efforts to switch their diets to moose and caribou seem to be backfiring; now they're eyeballing the dogs! Since the river hasn't frozen yet, they haven't been able to move much snow. Mara and Mike are having a tough time of it. They keep going for a swim in the open part of the river, making it that much more difficult for it to freeze. Poor things! They're getting really warm. Do you think a poodle cut would do any good?

I was really sorry to see Binky pass on. Mara and Mike both have a supply of red tennis shoes for chew toys! I won't even contemplate them sharing the same fate as Binky. I'd rather give them the poodle cut, put a skirt on them, and teach them to prance around with an umbrella. Then perhaps they can retire to the same facility that took Maggie since it does such a good job of taking care of retired performing animals.

Please pray for snow and ice. . .
Some how I think Mara and Mike will feel pretty indignent if you give them a poodle cut! The dogs lives would deffinelty be short lived, as when they start laughing at M&M about the new cooler style the only response would be to eat the ridiculers. I was going to suggest a lions cut, this would go along with M&Ms place in the food chain and have dignity, but just can't imagine a Manx style Lion!

Old 11-26-2007, 08:58 PM

21,028 posts, read 22,511,102 times
Close one today, it started raining and then it turned into huge snowflakes and now its just way foggy.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:36 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,596,491 times
Today I overheard a local (of the Oregon Coast) complaining about how cold it is... 46 degrees! When I left Idaho it had been in the teens for like two weeks so it feels pretty tropical here. I hear that Juneau has been fairly warm as well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska