U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 09:36 AM

15,596 posts, read 34,548,601 times

Advertisements

With the global warming and everything...we may have to resort to one of these in the near future. I think polar bears would make a nice addition. If you know somebody that already owns a mountain...then the job is half done!
Bearfire Resort

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 11:47 AM

17,850 posts, read 19,589,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
With the global warming and everything...we may have to resort to one of these in the near future. I think polar bears would make a nice addition. If you know somebody that already owns a mountain...then the job is half done!
Bearfire Resort
Actually, the "mountain" at the Bearfire Resort is a 250-foot tall, 35-acre, man-made mountain. So even if you don't own a mountain, you can at least build a small hill. What makes me curious is how they intend to "build" a 200 foot tall sheer glacier wall near Fort Worth, Texas. Did we sell them one of ours?

Old 11-29-2007, 12:18 PM

15,596 posts, read 34,548,601 times
I'm sure it will be plastic. The Swede's have come up with a pretty cool idea.
The Local - 'World's largest elk' to be built in Sweden

Old 11-29-2007, 12:39 PM

17,850 posts, read 19,589,140 times
Now we're going to have to build the world's largest moose just to stay competitive. We can build it in Talkeetna for their Moose Dropping Festival. Tourists can enter through the mouth, and exit the other end.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:43 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,026,706 times
Rance - Where DO you come up with these things?! I'm seriously bummed to think that someone has already come up with my idea. However, "snow" in Texas just doesn't have the same attraction as the rugged Alaskan scenario, IMHO. However, a resort like that just might get me to Texas someday since I've never been there.

Glitch - A European elk is the same thing as our moose. I think Sweden got the jump on us. Although the entrance to their moose is through the mouth, there's no word on how people get out of it!

Old 11-30-2007, 11:35 PM

1,677 posts, read 5,752,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
I've been contemplating this for a couple of days, now, and I'm not sure I'm any closer to a solution. There are two possibilities that I can see.

1) Let Mara and Mike retire and live a life of relative ease so they don't overheat. We could build a swimming pool for them and throw in blocks of ice on occasion to give them a treat. They would also probably need an air conditioned den for when they need to escape the warmth and sunshine. This will be a little spendy, but I suppose it's better than giving them poodle cuts!

2) Create a theme park in the area and advertise it as "Alaska, the way it used to be!" Somehow we'd need to enclose a large area (like a giant snow globe) and figure out some way to air condition the entire thing so it would have the frigid temps the tourists will expect. We could manufacture snow to complete the illusion. Think of the possibilities! Sled dog rides, snowman building, ice castles, and all the workers wearing fur! (PETA would be boycotting us like crazy!) Tourists could participate in Native traditions such as boat building, skin sewing, beading, and putting up fish as well as the white man's activities like cabin building and panning for gold in a freezing stream. We might even get away with making the tourists build their own sleeping shelters so they'd understand the rigors of a subsistence/survival lifestyle. I'm sure we could come up with some fun rides to break the tedium of hard work. Naturally, concession stands would serve traditional Native foods or hardtack (let's not forget the ubiquitous pilot bread!), but the kid's menu might have to include cheeseburgers and hot cocoa.

Unfortunately, this kind of enterprise would require more $$$$ than currently at my disposal. I suppose I could sell the idea to investors. Rumor has it there are several well off local people. One even told me he owns a mountain! I'm sure he could make this idea happen!!

-----

Enough of this rambling! It's time to get back to talking about SNOW.
I think I may have a possible solution to your problem. I think you may of herd of Bernie Karl who owns Chena Hot Springs. Well he already has the ice museum, is in a valley with tall hills on two sides so the snowglobe idea is possible. He is now producing his own power with geothermal sources and if his next well does produce 240 F then he could make refridgeration like they use on the pumpstations to keep the ground frozen. He just might be the guy to talk to, besides he has the $$$...

Old 12-05-2007, 06:01 AM

7,088 posts, read 12,696,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
First of all, you can't let the temperature or the weather dictate how you live in Alaska (except when it comes to golf ). You can't enjoy paradise from inside your home. So we get outdoors often, even in the rain or the cold.

Secondly, if you stay indoors all winter you will end up with cabin fever. Just for mental health purposes alone, you need to have some outdoor activity.

The first month and a half of this winter has been unseasonably warm in the Anchorage/Mat-Su Valley area, above freezing on most days. I expect it to get much colder in the next couple days now that the Chinook Winds have died down.

I have two dogs, and they have access to my heated garage via a dogie-door when I'm not at home. So keeping them comfortable isn't a problem.

One gets used to the mosquitoes over time, I rarely even notice them any more.

I'm more flabbergasted by how you can manage to live in the lower-48 and still stay sane.
Why in the world would you suspect we stay sane???? We have Washington D.C. down here, proximity to such insanity creates a contagious environment for insanity. If nothing else, listening to their lies every day is enough to drive one nuts. (actually, to drive, is to attempt to hit the ball a long distance, using the golf analogy, perhaps it's closer to a putt.) D

Old 12-05-2007, 11:19 AM

7,088 posts, read 12,696,306 times
[QUOTE=barnyardbabe; i feel i am living in paradise here compared to you all...

Obviously she knows not of what she speaks. but,.... until someone actually visits Alaska, it would not be possible to comprehend the beauty, or the vastness. The largest mountains folk in the lower 48 get to see are the Rockies, and the Alaska Range makes them look like foothills. Denali, himself, borders on the unimaginable as is the park, bigger than the state of Massachusetts. One other fact, the only state with fewer miles of paved road than Alaska is Rhode Island. As we traveled around we became painfully aware of how much Alaska we could not see from the road. Paradise?... I suppose it depends on ones' experience and definition. D

Old 12-05-2007, 12:05 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,231,764 times

Old 12-06-2007, 02:19 PM

760 posts, read 2,118,888 times
After reading this thread, and looking out the window at all of our snow........ I have an overwhelming urge to build an igloo. My 3yr old will LOVE it!
Think I've just figured out what I'm doing Saturday!

(now....... to read up on how to build one without it falling down on my head.....)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or