U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 01:45 AM

17,850 posts, read 19,682,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
The peninsula towns have sales tax. I don't believe Anchorage does. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
As usual, you are not wrong. Wasilla has a 2% sales tax, with a maximum tax cap of $12.50. There are 89 municipalities in Alaska that have sales taxes between 1% and 7%, typically 3% to 5%.

Other local taxes levied include raw fish taxes, hotel, motel, and B&B "bed" taxes, severance taxes, liquor and tobacco taxes, car rental taxes, gaming (pull tabs) taxes, tire taxes, and fuel transfer taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 01:59 AM

1,252 posts, read 731,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
There are no HMOs in Alaska.
How do you propose to inform Aetna, Aetna - National Plan, Blue Cross Blue Shield, BPO services, Cigna, Kaiser, PCS, etc......

Old 12-02-2007, 02:22 AM

17,850 posts, read 19,682,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by User 2 View Post
How do you propose to inform Aetna, Aetna - National Plan, Blue Cross Blue Shield, BPO services, Cigna, Kaiser, PCS, etc......
There is no need to inform them. They already know the difference between a Health Management Organization and a Healthcare Insurance Provider, even though you obviously don't.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:40 AM

Quote:
There is no need to inform them. They already know the difference between a Health Management Organization and a Healthcare Insurance Provider, even though you obviously don't.
Little quick on your trigger, there, glitch?

Go look at their licensing with the Department of Revenue, their 'new status', a combination license which combines all their old individual licenses from the state, was given to them which specifies they roll all their past individual licenses into one new one with a new name.

But the new combination license covers their HMO activities, ....just like their old individual HMO license did.

There are nine registered and licensed to operate as HMOs under the new license as of the latest posting from the state.

Best get back to researching, glitch.... There's much you evidently can still learn.

Normally, I'd just give you the link to the pdf files and you could read them without looking for them, but....

Quote:
......even though you obviously don't.
....but I figured that quote was less than courteous, so you can do your own searching, no?.....

Old 12-02-2007, 02:52 AM

15,596 posts, read 34,641,725 times
Check the thread title people. Let's try to keep it on topic or use DM's please. This is no longer funny.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony8956 View Post
How is your health care system up there. Read somewhere you have "No managed healthcare". What does that mean exactly? Also read no income or sales tax...
Just trying to provide info for the new guy's question....

Old 12-03-2007, 08:44 PM

199 posts, read 642,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartsnAK View Post
I can totally relate to what you are saying, thepenartist, I also still have Alaska tags on my vehicles and get lots of stares, double takes and, "is that really your vehicle or did you borrow it from someone.....?" People never seem to get tired of asking about it. You would think Alaska is on a different planet or something......
We've been stationed here for 4.5 years (6 by the time our tour is up, geez). I am so tired of this place. But, I feel honored to have the AK tag on the cars. They definitely strike up conversations. We feel privileged to "being different". Even though there are a lot of other cars registered in various states in the lower 48 as well as Hawaii, and Guam... but for some reason the Alaska tag makes us feel unique down here, like the yellow stands out from everyone else's white tag. When we finally get home, our cars will just blend in with everyone else's tags... we can't tell anyone, hey, just look for the car with the Alaska tag.... *giggle* won't work once we move back home. When I have to show ID and pull out my Alaska driver's license... by the looks on people's faces you would think we did come from another planet... I always get the same responses: "you are REALLY from Alaska?" or "you have prettier licenses than our plain ones..." there is always some response because of the state we claim residency.

I feel so proud to claim Alaska as my state. I envy those of you on this chat, that are currently there, but our day is coming. I thank all of you who post photos, makes the missing home less stressful.

Thanks everyone.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:44 PM

3 posts, read 5,724 times
I have been asked what it was like to llive in a foreign country, what the exchange rate on US dollars was, and if I had ever pet a real penguin. . .uh cause Alaska is just bimming with wild tux wearing birds? Riiiight!

Old 12-04-2007, 06:59 PM

199 posts, read 642,255 times
Of all the funny questions asked, I have not once been asked if AK had penguins.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:22 AM

15,596 posts, read 34,641,725 times
I ran across this last week. People really do think we have penguins running around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or