U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2013, 08:16 PM

7 posts, read 9,808 times

Advertisements

First off, I'm currently disabled, although I'm hoping to try to heal and work as I have a four year degrees in Biology and Literature.

What are the practicalities of moving to Barrow? It's been my goal in life ever since I was 6 years old and found out about Barrow. I've followed these forums for years and reading Floyd Davidsons posts has been and incredible experience, making the desire to actually move there unbearable.

So again, what sorts of expenses am I looking at? I have a wife, no children. She also loves the things I've shown her of Barrow...and the two of us have done our best to live in remote places the past 10 years, but extreme northern Maine just isn't cutting it.

What would be the first steps to take? Is this an unlikely pipe dream?

I have so many questions but can't seem to find answers. Theres nothing to give and idea of apartment prices, etc. I imagine with my degree in literature and biology that once I am healed (I have chronic pancreatitis) that I could work as a teacher. Again...is this practical? Possible? Where can I find info?

Thanks so much for any help at all and I apologize for the giddy and repetitive nature of my post but I just found out this week that I'll be freed up to potentially make the move this coming year...assuming it is possible without being rich.

Thanks so much.
- Nick
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 09:22 PM

3,843 posts, read 3,667,340 times
Contact the North Slope Borough School District and see what needs they have for teachers. They'll assist you with the move and provide housing.

Samuel Simmonds Memorial Hospital is a small, critical access only hospital and not very well equipped to deal with chronic illness so I would think very carefully about your medical needs before moving here.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:31 PM

7 posts, read 9,808 times
I don't require any real on going health related treatment. As well, the symptoms have been abating.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:41 PM

3,843 posts, read 3,667,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick8281 View Post
I don't require any real on going health related treatment. As well, the symptoms have been abating.
If your issues are resolving then that's great but the climate here tends to make people with chronic health issues worse. Treatment here is expensive unless you're a native and it's very expensive to fly in and out.

Having said that, you know your health better than I do so contacting the NSBSD would be your first step towards teaching here.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:52 PM

16,166 posts, read 27,421,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick8281 View Post
Even so it would be a great idea to buy Medivac insurance in case of an emergency.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:23 PM

2,557 posts, read 3,927,693 times
Have you visited Barrow? I think it would very foolhardy to move to Barrow without visiting first. It is truly a whole other world up there.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:11 PM

468 posts, read 600,707 times
I agree, you really need to visit before moving. It is very different from anything you have experienced.

As for teaching, you should check out the EED website to see what you would need to get certified as a teacher.
EED - Educators & Administrators

Pretty much every education job in the state, including the North Slope Borough School District, is posted at Alaska Teacher Placement.
Alaska Teacher Placement

Old 12-31-2013, 01:43 PM

1,745 posts, read 2,272,823 times
You mention Biology and Literature but don't mention any teaching credentials. You can not teach in Alaska without one. Most who come up to teach have their license already and just need to take the Alaska cultural classes to be licensed in Alaska. Those classes can be taken online and in most cases can be done while you are teaching here.

Old 12-31-2013, 05:40 PM

468 posts, read 600,707 times
Yup, she is right. If you meet the licensing requirements, aside from those two classes, you would be issued a 2 year provisional license. Once the classes a successfully completed, then you can get your 5 year permanent license.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:02 PM

4 posts, read 4,274 times
That was my first thought as well.. There are coconut palm trees in Maui! There are even some sitka spruce trees in Ketchikan and unless you are north of Barrow, why would you want to move there? Just curious.. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or