Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 10:51 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,686,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
Then one time there was this guy...
Where was that picture taken at? For some reason it looks familar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 11:02 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,860,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Where was that picture taken at? For some reason it looks familar.
The Public Safety office village of Wainwright 1980.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:16 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,082,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teridb View Post
How adorable! Is there a rescue or sanctuary for polar bears? Can you see walrus or seals in Barrow?
Something tells me that you may not be ready for a move to Alaska without visiting the area first. Coming from Florida, you're going to be in for quite a wake up call, especially in a place like Barrow. You're looking at moving to an area that is lucky if you hit 50 degrees in the summer and regularly have months, upon months, of darkness and well below 0 temperatures.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:33 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,686,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
The Public Safety office village of Wainwright 1980.
I worked out there in 1984. It looked about the same then minus the polar bear cub.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:39 PM

33 posts, read 48,369 times
Florida is not the only place I have lived. I was raised in a Navy family so I have lived coast to coast border to border in the "lower 48". I realize the cold of Barrow is far different than Michigan or Rhode Island (where it snowed on my birthday in August), but I am looking to do and see something new a different. I have been a travel nurse and worked at huge inner city hospitals and tiny rural hospitals so am not worried about the work environment. I certainly am not planning to show up and live off of the land like I see others post. I do require running water and indoor plumbing other than that I take the girl scout attitude. Who knows if they will even give me a job in 9 months?! I like challenges

Old 01-13-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teridb View Post
How adorable! Is there a rescue or sanctuary for polar bears? Can you see walrus or seals in Barrow?
No sanctuary in Barrow. Yes you can see just about all arctic animals around Barrow.

Some time, when I have down time, I will tell the story of the polar bear cub.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:44 PM

teridb,

A good attitude is 80% of whether you can make it in Barrow.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:13 AM

206 posts, read 513,985 times
The new Hospital is amazing (for village standards), my son is a full time student/dental assistant. Walking right now (1-23-14) is pretty problematic, but as Wynternight said you will have a shuttle, and all the Taxi's will only charge you 6 bux a trip, thats not much considering the wage you will make here.

I have 2 dogs, i wish i has found others to adopt them before we moved up here, there is very little time or space for dogs, i feel a cat with a decent sized cat box is much more suited for the long winter months enclosed indoors.

Make sure you leave any of your pre conceived notions of others behind Barrow will practically force a new perspective on life.

Also, all the whining in New York drives me nuts, if you think the weather is terrible in the lower 48, please reconsider moving here, snow is the norm, not he exception and -35 (wind chill) is a warm day in January.

Otherwise i think moving to Barrow is a great way to start a new career in Nursing, you will make a larger wage than most other places, and the housing is definitely a plus.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:53 PM

36 posts, read 109,120 times
When I was there in 2009, the hospital paid $28 an hour no matter how many years of experience. Barrow is definitely not for everyone. I tried.......I failed. I ran out three months after I got there.

Good luck with your move.

Icu2rn

Old 01-25-2014, 01:43 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,510,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icu2rn View Post
When I was there in 2009, the hospital paid $28 an hour no matter how many years of experience. Barrow is definitely not for everyone. I tried.......I failed. I ran out three months after I got there.

Good luck with your move.

Icu2rn
Were you there as a traveler or perm staff? The pay has gone up since you were there. It was higher when I started in 2010.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska