Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 07:14 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,860,199 times

Advertisements

But it's thirsty work watching my boys grill fish!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 07:25 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
I just thought of another good use for drones - tourism.

Tourists are always taking pictures and videos of, well, just about everything. A clever entrepreneur could create "video postcards" using a drone and sell them to tourons ... um, I mean tourists.

Check out this drone: STORM Drone 6 GPS Flying Platform - HeliPal

I like the GPS automatic "Go Home" feature.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:35 PM

You should definitely watch this video beginning at 1:22.

It will open up whole new possibilities for robot.

Storm Drone 6 with Brushless Gimbal - HeliPal.com - YouTube

Old 01-07-2014, 07:44 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,514,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
But it's thirsty work watching my boys grill fish!
I thought fishing was just an excuse to drink beer and pee off the side of the boat... It was a plus if you caught something, but not required. Heck, I know people that go fishing with no bait, just to get out of the house for the peace.

That drone filming people on vacation sounds like a money making opp. for someone ingenious enough. You pay a small fortune to get a picture of you on a theme park ride.

One thing that has been the case historically, is that the law always lags behind technology. Cell phones and texting while driving are examples. As well as, using a cell while in a plane. I remember when cell phones were very new. I was flying to go see my Dad and I was sitting next to a Ford Executive that had a cell phone. A new Motorola Brick Phone. While we were in the air approaching Detroit, he let me use to call my girlfriend who I hadn't seen in a few months. (BTW, Freaked her out, since I was still "flying" in the plane) I would have called my Dad too, but he didn't have a phone and he was waiting for me in the airport... You know, the days when you left the house and didn't have a heart attack because you didn't have your cell phone. Somehow you made it to school, work and back home without it. And only a very few people had phones and all they did was call someone. Shortly after that flight, cell phones were banned on planes and it lasted until now, even though the ban may be lifted soon.

Anyways, my point is that it takes a legislative session to change the ban on hunting the day you fly to also add you can't use drones to hunt. Should that be something that the legislature and citizens of AK think is important.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
You should definitely watch this video beginning at 1:22.

It will open up whole new possibilities for robot.
Yup...I don't think Ken would be too thrilled though...

Old 01-07-2014, 08:57 PM

Yeah Dak, how did we ever get along without the cell phone.

Quite well actually...

Old 01-08-2014, 07:41 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I think drones could be useful for some kinds of search and rescue operations.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I think drones could be useful for some kinds of search and rescue operations.
Excellent idea. You can also equip them with Forward-Looking Infrared Radar, which would greatly assist in nighttime searches/rescues.

The drones I have been looking at are under $1,500, and have a flight time anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes, and a maximum range from 0.5 to 1.0 mile, and carry payloads up to 1.76 pounds (800 grams). Although, if you had multiple batteries you could extend the flight time, but not the range or payload.

Firefighters in the field could also probably benefit from such drones, giving them an aerial view of the fire. Although, putting drones in the hands of local government raises whole new issues. In particular, how and when they will be used and for what purpose.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:24 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,514,208 times
Glitch - Drones fighting fire may have prevented that group of 19 that were killed. One person has to have a drone up watching the fire around them at all times. Multiple drones or hot swapable battery packs... Of course hindsight is 20-20...

FLIR would be interesting on a drone too. Would make night searches a whole lot safer.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:42 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,101,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
I would bet the Dept of F&G has something planned for "drone hunting". I also don't think it would be very sporting to use drones. I would not considered it fair chase.
I think it's all relative. Technology is always evolving and changing the world around us, so why should the "sport" of hunting be expected to remain "pure" and unaffected? After all, at the end of the day, isn't the ultimate purpose of the hunt supposed to be the killing of the animal? If not, then what is the purpose of wasting your time and resources in the chase?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska