U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2007, 07:41 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,024,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
After I moved to Alaska in 1991 I became a Life Member of the NRA and joined the Alaskan NRA Steering Committee to help get the Alaskan State Constitution amended in 1994. The amendment passed with 77% of the popular vote. So at least as far as our right to keep and bear arms is concerned, Alaskan citizens have only reinforced and reaffirmed those rights, not erode them.
And we are all oh so proud of you. At this point we live in a country where our communications are being monitored by the government without our knowledge, citizens can be, without a warrant or any explanation given, detained and held for an amount of time subject to the discretion of the captors, oh, and and hundreds of thousands of people are being denied the right to marry and serve in the military. But hey, we can run around and play with our firerms to our little hearts content, so bully for all of us!
Phew... Okay, rant over.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 09:01 PM

47 posts, read 121,509 times
Right there is one of the reasons I think so much of Alaska, you all band together and come out to back each other up. That is unity among people you havent even met which is impressive to me. But here it is, I am not thinking it is greener on the other side of the fence ( Alaska). I said I have been there twice and love the country, the people are all so friendly and helpful. And I am not talking about the tourist trap areas, because I have driven everywhere other than Valdez area. Out here I have a very good paying job, but I look at it like, that isnt enough. I want to live where I like not where the money is the best. The material world saps you dry. That is why I wrote how is to much to sacrifice. On my last post I said some unneccessary things I will admit, and I apologized for them. To me people are what makes a place and Alaskans are some of the best I have met. Thanks again.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:18 PM

Question Huuuuuh?

I just backed someone up?

Old 12-04-2007, 10:35 PM

3,774 posts, read 9,897,406 times
More than anything else, I appreciate the fact that people like Xa'at and I may disagree on gun rights, we tend to be a little more appreciative of each others finer points rather than highlight our areas of disagreement. I say that I am a Republican, but my shade of Republican is a little bit stranger than the average, run-of-the-mill, right-wing, John Birch, hang-'em-high kinda guy.

Like Xa'at, I agree with the pro-choice stance. I disagree with her on firearms, and think hunting is OK. I disagree with the Patriot Act, but want tougher penalties on crime. I think any form of torture makes this country into what it was supposed to oppose. (Having been water-boarded and physically tortured in SERE school, I would have to oppose it from a empathic viewpoint.)

A political argument has to be friendly between friends. We may have different views, but that is what makes a responsible society. And Alaska allows us the mental liebensraum to disagree without making it the be-all or end-all of a relationship.

In California, I am a reactionary, old-fashioned SOB. Here, I'm a middle of the road kinda guy. And I like arguing with friends. They can laugh at my old-fogey ideas, and I laugh at their optimism. They let me.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:43 PM

*Raises her glass*
Hear, hear!

Old 12-04-2007, 11:26 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,232,700 times
I opposed the patriot act simce the day it was introduced. Do any of you guys have any idea how much power that gives the "dept of homeland security" simply because they say they want it, or say they need it?

Old 12-04-2007, 11:32 PM

20,423 posts, read 26,550,284 times
Yes............................................... .............

Old 12-04-2007, 11:38 PM

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Old 12-05-2007, 12:10 AM

15,596 posts, read 34,556,906 times
This why I have island property. I have no idea what you guys are talking about...but if things go bad..I'm headed for the hills. I have a cave staked out and everything!

Old 12-05-2007, 12:44 PM

16,174 posts, read 27,435,915 times
Well, since I served and retired from the military, there is nothing the Government doesn't already know about me, so I have no worries whatsoever in relation to the Patriot Act, as long as it relates to the monitoring of individuals suspected of being involved in illegal drugs and terrorist activities.

Although I don't agree with homosexuality in the military, I don't "hate" those who believe the opposite. I just disagree with them. The same about "same-sex marriage." I don't agree with that idea and will always oppose it at the ballot box, although I only disagree with others who are pro same-sex marriages.
------
That said, and going back to the original post, it's very normal for a person to get tired of his or her environment: work, home, neighborhood, town, people etc.. It happens to all of us sometime in our lives, although more to some than others. UNLESS one is just a happy person regardless of what life throws at one, unless one has found happiness outside of oneself (family, friends, coworkers, etc.).

Most folks who have implemented a long term goal and forge ahead with their plan have a great chance to keep their minds occupied on achieving the goals whatever these may be. But once we are fed-up of whatever situation one is in, there is nothing wrong with giving anther place a try, although it no always works. For example, my first marriage lasted four years. Then in 1980 I met a beautiful red head; I thought, "well...she is pretty and has a just right rear end, YAHOOOO! I am going to have a few night stands with this woman."

Guess what? Before my wishes came through I was in love with her. Six months later we were married, and on New Year's day we will celebrate our 27th Wedding Anniversary. We love each other more each day. She raised my two daughters and our two sons, and is the nicest person I have ever met... right there shoulder-to shoulder with my mother.

My point: there is always a good idea not to give-up. Create and implement a plan, and strive for the best. If you have the means to make it to Alaska, go ahead and give it a try, but make sure that you also have a plan "B" in case plan A does not work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or