U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 09:14 AM

2,133 posts, read 1,688,252 times

Advertisements

I just want to add a little about the rain in that part of Alaska. When people say that it rains alot there, it means that it rains ALOT :

Ketchikan AVG. annual precip 152" KETCHIKAN, ALASKA - Climate Summary

Juneau AVG precip 90" JUNEAU 2, ALASKA - Climate Summary

Sitka AVG precip 85" SITKA FAA JAPONSKI AP, ALASKA - Climate Summary

Alaska
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 12:17 PM

4,718 posts, read 8,692,548 times
Besides the rain, isn't it also the number of cloudy/overcast days that can get to you as well?

Old 01-25-2014, 12:30 PM

Yes, here some info on that: Annual Days of Sunshine in Alaska - Current Results

Old 01-25-2014, 02:01 PM

That really paints a picture of how gloomy it can get.

For my own comparison...

CITY Sunny Partly Sunny Total Days w/ Sun

Miami 74 175 249

Anchorage 61 65 126
Fairbanks 70 86 156
Juneau 44 41 85

Whereas, Miami gets 65" of rain on average a year. Sometimes half of that in a day if a hurricane comes rolling through slowly.

Thanks for the sit AK76 -I was looking for something like that.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:13 PM

10 posts, read 14,025 times
Yeah it looks like our average where we are is 215 sunny days total, with 42 or so inches of rain. i guess it is something to really think about.
The precipitation total of Juneau did not sound that bad, but if you add in the extra cloudy days, it could get gloomy. I would worry about the kids getting stir crazy inside. These are all good points to consider.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahmliz View Post
Yeah it looks like our average where we are is 215 sunny days total, with 42 or so inches of rain. i guess it is something to really think about.
The precipitation total of Juneau did not sound that bad, but if you add in the extra cloudy days, it could get gloomy. I would worry about the kids getting stir crazy inside. These are all good points to consider.

If day, after day, after day, of gloomy drizzly soaking wet weather sounds unappealing, then southeast and/or southcentral Alaska is not the place for you. And this is with temps in the 40s and 50s, not 70s or 80s.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:44 PM

3,979 posts, read 2,964,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
Maybe Homer would be a good fit.
Yeah. Maybe look at Homer, Seward, Kenai...on the road system, gentler weather than the interior, much smaller than Anc but not terribly insular, and with a wider variety of jobs than a lot of small cities/towns/villages.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:24 PM

996 posts, read 838,263 times
Another thing that might be important - having easy access to air travel. For relatives visiting you, or for going somewhere for medical care not available in the local hospital(s), it's good if there's an airport with daily service somewhat nearby. Juneau has several flights per day to both Anchorage and Seattle. Homer has (I believe) daily flights to Anchorage (though the planes servicing Homer are probably smaller than the planes servicing Juneau, in case that bothers you).

For Homer:

Sunny Days - 140 total

Question for folks who live in Homer or Juneau - Do you know of any medical conditions that can't be treated at the local hospital(s)?

Thanks!

Last edited by jdhpa; 01-25-2014 at 06:32 PM..

Old 01-25-2014, 08:58 PM

846 posts, read 1,621,454 times
I know there are some Quakers here on the southern Kenai Peninsula. I don't know where they meet, but I could probably find out pretty easily.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:50 AM

From Juneau's Main Hospital - Bartlett Regional Hospital - This should give you an idea.

"Cardiovascular and neurosurgical interventions are typically referred to a larger medical center unless a life-threatening condition requires immediate attention prior to medevac."

I think it is safe to assume that they do not have a Level 1 Trauma care on site. Check here for what they routinely handle: Missing content - Surgical Services / Same Day Care < Bartlett Regional Hospital

-

Sounds like if it is life threatening, they can stabilize you, but you are going somewhere else via Medevac. Which means if you move there, get the Medevac Insurance, IIRC, it isn't that expensive, a couple hundred dollars a year. But a Medevac trip, should you need it, I understand will be around $10k or so depending.

I couldn't find on their site what rating their ER is. For example, we only have one hospital around me that is a Level 1 Trauma. You get hurt really bad, that is where you go. All life flights in the area go there. However, a heart attack and a heart cath (stents) can be handled at various Hospitals in my area. My son was in NICU after birth and they were contemplating air lifting him to a higher level trauma center -and- he was born at a hospital with a very high level to begin with that handles more medical procedures and types than Juneau's hospital does.

Not trying to scare you - or think that they can't handle most things as it appears they can handle a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or