U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2014, 03:31 PM

996 posts, read 838,971 times

Advertisements

Thanks Dakster! So someone who has a heart attack would probably be airlifted to Anchorage or Seattle after stabilizing.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 03:44 PM

4,718 posts, read 8,694,070 times
That is what it looks like to me, but I have no first hand (Thankfully) experience. I have no experience in Juneau at all - I just went to the web site. I did ask a Juneau resident about diabetic care, since my wife is diabetic. I didn't want to have to leave Juneau every time she needed to see a Doctor. So I have some hopefully good info.

Problem with heart attack stabilizing, is the current medical procedure is to do a heart cath and when you are there, if needed, put a stent in and be done with it. Traumatizing enough to have a cath inserted, no reason to do it twice. Of course this is after you determine that there was a heart attack. I just went thru the scare, so there are several things that are done before even a cath would be inserted.

Is is an interesting question and one that as you (and your family) get older should know the answer to.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:37 PM

228 posts, read 236,341 times
Sahmliz, a thought or two from Sitka! I count 15 churches in the phone book. Don't know a thing about home schooling. Yes, as you've read, there is lots of rain in Sitka. There are two hospitals here but compared to the lower 48, not lots of any specialty care. North to Anchorage or down to Seattle for that. Myself and the missus are both nurses. I actually graduated from East Carolina University and worked at Pitt Memorial for some time. I gotta say that I was never thrilled to live in N.C., (being from Montana originally) cause it just seemed so darn hot most of the year there--and the bugs and snakes were incredible. Sitka is not a big place ie: 14 total miles of road. Sitka is also an awesome place with great folks-like most places in Alaska. We have family in Anchorage and they do kick around the idea of moving "more south" but I doubt they ever will. We don't have little kids but it seems there are a lot of activities for children to get involved with here. There are lots of community events. The cost of living is pretty high, as is the grocery bill. Where we live, I can literally jump into the ocean from my porch(not that I would)! If you haven't been to Alaska, you might think of a visit before you just up and leave cause just the weather here might blow you away being from the N.C. Check out Sitka.com and go to the forums, there is a way of getting a "feel" of Sitka. We loved Anchorage, lived and worked there but, its just getting "too big" for us and the weather can get mighty cold there at times! We are in our 50's and didn't want to deal with the drastic winters anymore. Good luck!

Old 01-27-2014, 02:29 PM

10 posts, read 14,025 times
Thanks for all the replies. It is good to know about the medical care and since medevac insurance is something we never would need here we would not have factored that in. Thank you for the tip.
Rntim- thanks for the first hand experience info. We hope to visit to check out the areas we are most interested in before moving. It is hard to really get a feel for somewhere from visitors brochures and websites.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:35 PM

10 posts, read 14,025 times
Bortstc37- after you posted that I was able to find the information on the Alaska yearly meeting, the group of Quaker churches for Alaska. It looks like they were not connected to the national group our churches are, so I did not see them at first. Thank you for posting it. We can get in touch with their meetings to find out more.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:54 PM

607 posts, read 850,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
Question for folks who live in Homer or Juneau - Do you know of any medical conditions that can't be treated at the local hospital(s)?
I'm not in either place....we're in Fairbanks, but both my sons have Crohn's Disease and they have to go to Anchorage to see a gastroenterologist......so I'd venture a bet that Homer or Juneau wouldn't be able to handle that condition either.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:12 AM

6,381 posts, read 11,944,970 times
Anchorage is by far an easier place to get started, but like most places you can get trapped there as well once you have a job, kids in school, lease or buying a place etc.

The rain isn't such a bad thing, it is more of a light drizzle, and when the sun shines, it is really great! But you can also go to Seattle and find a good boat you can live on and check out all the towns at your leasure. In the winter, there is a lot of snowfall and one can keep busy keeping the snow off other boats and doing general maintance, or work in town and still live on the boat, if the town doesn't suit you, drag up the anchor and move to another one. Much cheaper having a boat than to move from town to town in a car.

But you can also drag a camper behind a truck as well, but since all the towns require a boat ride to get to in most cases, and there isn't too many camper parks in most of them, that may be a bit different unless you drive to the Anchorage, Kenai or Fairbanks areas, then a camper will give you time to figure out where you want to plant yourself and have a place to stay while deciding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or