U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 12:41 PM

203 posts, read 271,292 times

Advertisements

there is good water in this area.
the road stops being maintained before this lot. is rough at times and no electric. This is kind of off grid. I have some friends that live on this road. and they do pretty well with a 2kw generator drilled well and septic. They have a wind generator and solar panels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 04:51 PM

37 posts, read 42,676 times
Oh sweet thank you, do you know if they get cell phone service? And I was looking to live off the grid with solar panels and wind power. Anyway I can get ahold of them? Ask them further questions?

Old 01-28-2014, 06:06 PM

203 posts, read 271,292 times
There is no cell service in that area. My wife's friend had to come into anchor point to to get cell service and wifi. We actually have not seen her friends in the last 5 months. the husband came over to borrow a rifle for hunting last fall.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:30 PM

Ok thank you for the information, I appreciate it..that helped a lot

Old 01-28-2014, 06:50 PM

1,681 posts, read 3,085,220 times
This weather site might help. It has historical weather info for at least a couple of Kenai Peninsula communities. Kenai & Homer.
National Weather Service, Alaska Region Headquarters, AK

Cost of living; includes community comparisons within Alaska as well as the lower 48.
http://laborstats.alaska.gov/col/col.pdf

This will give you some demographic info for many communities thoughout Alaska. This particular link is for Anchor Point since you had mentioned that area.
ALARI details – Anchor Point CDP

Old 01-28-2014, 10:20 PM

846 posts, read 1,622,807 times
The cell service peters out a bit before that lot. Also, the road ends before that as well (and becomes a trail), and crosses various private properties before then (including one of my own) with no real "legal" access. I wouldn't mind you taking the road across my lot, but I can't speak for others, you know?

As retiredinhomer mentioned, there is no electricity, and the road maintenance ends after you get to the end of Cottonwood Lane. I know a guy who maintains it a ways after that, but it would still stop a couple miles before the lot you mentioned.

It's a nice lot, though, and about half of it it wetlands (down the riverbank and across the river). Still, it would be far from my first choice if I were looking at properties around here (and I do look pretty much constantly). Having riverfront property doesn't mean the same thing here as it does many other places. Parts of the Anchor River are flooding right now because of an ice jam. You can't build anything within 50 feet of the water, either (not that you'd be able to even then... usually it's pretty soggy for a ways beyond that if it's a decent-sized river valley).

As others have mentioned, try getting a job first (look into HEA, the local electric company). After that, live in the area for a year and you'll be able to get a much better idea of where the best place would be. Plenty of people would be happy to help so long as you're serious about being part of the community. Lots of people seem to look at land out of Anchor Point as a place to disappear, off-grid, with their pile of bullets and canned food. Then they get bored and go away.

Jobs Listings - Homer Electric Association Jobs

Old 01-29-2014, 04:23 PM

Awesome thanks a lot! That is a lot of help and I appreciate all that you've told me...I'm guessing there's nice people in the area that will help eachother out if something was to come up! That's something that would be really nice if I was to buy that property

Old 01-29-2014, 04:53 PM

4,718 posts, read 8,701,696 times
I always wondered about how property rights access laws were in AK. It doesn't seem like there are any? Would kind of suck if all of a sudden you couldn't get to your property.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:44 PM

Does anybody have an idea about how much electricity solar panels and a wind generator can generate?? And how much they are to buy and set up?

Old 01-29-2014, 08:09 PM

4,718 posts, read 8,701,696 times
You can generate as much power as you want with PV and wind. It depends on how much you think you will need and what your budget is. You also need to account for cloudy days, short days, and no wind days. That usually means a battery bank and a generator of some sort. The first thing YOU need to figure out is how much power YOU need on a daily basis by adding up the watts and amount of time you will use things that need power. Once you get that, there are number of calculators out on the web that will help you get the right size system. BEFORE I would get either, you need to make sure that they will work on your property. Not all properties are created equal for sun and wind exposure.

You might want to ask this question in the Green Living Forum here on C-D. There are some PV folks that frequent that area of the forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska