Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 04:05 PM

37 posts, read 55,861 times

Advertisements

I have been to Alaska before and have loved every minute of it and I am now at the right age to look for property, anybody have suggestions for me? What should I bring? What do I need right away there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 04:45 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,028 times
Alaska is 663,268 square miles... Where are you looking to move? What are you going to do for work? Will you have kids?

Old 01-28-2014, 04:54 PM

Kenai area, and I will have kids one day but not soon and I am an apprentice lineman and I travel with that job so I think I'll be able to find something there

Old 01-28-2014, 05:07 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,028 times
Oh... I just realized you have multiple threads all covering the same question. If you don't like the other answers you are getting, starting a new thread isn't going to different answers.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:28 PM

People aren't answering what's being asked though so I'm trying to ask in a different way

Old 01-28-2014, 06:28 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckoceja4 View Post
I have been to Alaska before and have loved every minute of it and I am now at the right age to look for property, anybody have suggestions for me? What should I bring? What do I need right away there?
Done this research for myself a hundred times... I think the previous threads covered it quite well. But here goes my take from an outside trying to get to AK as well one day.

1.) You need a job or source of income or a very large savings account... I think you got that covered.

2.) You need to figure out where you want to live that is convenient for #1, IMHO, unless you live in the swamps of Florida far way from any city, I think you are making a mistake by choosing out in the wilds of AK by Anchor Point for the first place you get. But that is just me. I would rent somewhere for a bit first. Maybe pick a medium sized AK town, which is like a small Florida town. And then start going out into the wild.

3.) You need go up with a savings account regardless of #1. This all depends on what YOUR (not mine) projected expenses are going to be and how soon that paycheck from the job you already have locked in will take to start coming in. Moving isn't cheap. Are you driving up, flying up and buying a vehicle when you get to AK, driving a trailer with a bunch of stuff up? Your driving trip will cost more than you think if you use Florida prices to estimate. Add about 25%. If anything fuel is still a little expensive in Canada.

4.) Are you going up in the middle of winter, as I understand it, winter is from September 1 to June 1. Maybe longer. I would bring at least some warm stuff with you and then plan on fairly quickly being able to buy more. #3 will help out here.

5.) A good attitude and realizing that you are not in Florida anymore. I don't care HOW much reading or watching you have done on AK. It is different than anything you could imagine. I know, I researched and read all about it and then I drove from South Florida to AK and back.

6.) If driving know the Canadian laws, especially what you can bring in and what you can't. (handguns for the most part are illegal as an example) Are you going to be able to get into Canada (do you have an arrest record? DUI?).

7.) If driving, the milepost magazine is the travel bible of many a driver from the lower 48 to AK thru Canada. I don't disagree....

Old 01-28-2014, 07:56 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Agree with your Dakster, specially about #1.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:45 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
Someone should make a sticky and then we can just say - go read the sticky.

Another sticky for how to drive to and from Alaska winter and summer as well.

Not that I mind the discourse back and forth...

Old 01-29-2014, 10:46 AM

202 posts, read 356,099 times
Check with Homer Electric for work. You can live anywhere near the road on the Kenai Peninsula and still work for HEA. There is a lot of property that is a little off the road system. You just need a few toys like 4x4 truck,snogo,and 4 wheeler. For your line of work you just need to have a cell phone or land line. I worked in Kenai for 4 years and it could be 25-30 degrees colder there than in Homer. But it was warmer in the summer.
Winter in Kenai is normally like the rest of the southern Kenai peninsula Late october to mid April. When it shows up it is here it normally stays for the whole winter. This year we are all thawed out. If it got cold now the frost will be driven deep into the ground but we are getting almost 8 hrs of daylight .
I have family in Naples Fl. been going there for 45 years I can compare southwest Florida to here for remoteness.

Lineman keep busy up here.

lots of luck,

Old 01-29-2014, 04:42 PM

Thank you all for the answers, that was a good answer to all of my questions and I think I am going to buy property off the grid like in anchor point and slowly build on it so I will slowly get the hang of living off the grid like that..I have always been an outdoors person and love to hunt and fish so I think I will enjoy it out there, from what I've seem on weather it doesn't seem to bad so I will get the hang of it...plus there seems to be some amazing people there to help me out if something comes up! Thanks again guys
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska